There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is our upcoming schedule REALLY that tough?

Is our upcoming schedule REALLY that tough? I don't think so. For the rest of the season, we play 7 mediocre, middle-of-the-pack teams that aren't any better than us -- a gaggle of potential first round playoff losers (I excluded the obviously good and bad teams -- Indy, Philly, Detroit, and St. Louis).

Houston, Tennessee, Chicago, Green Bay, Jacksonville, Seattle, and Arizona -- all beatable. Assuming we lose to the two really good teams (IND and PHI) and beat the really bad team (DET and STL) -- we're looking at 5-4 with a need to win 4 out of the 7 mediocre-on-mediocre matchups.

We've got 4 of the 7 at home, and one of the road matchups we're playing after a bye (we'll be rested, ready, and fired up). Arizona comes to SF a week after a (likely) draining game against the Vikings. Green Bay Plays Dallas the week before us.

Unlike many in niner nation right now, I'm upbeat because our schedule looks relatively soft.

Prediction: 9 or 10 wins, NFC West crown, #4 seed, and a 1st round matchup against whatever 12-win NFC East team finishes in second place.

The playoffs don't look bright (a thumpin' by the Eagles, most likely) -- but the regular season sure does.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:27:34 ]
I'm ready for this team to step up & take care of buisness.
yeah I judged our schedule by how those so called tough teams did LAST year, but after watching some of those teams struggle, like the titans for example, it does look a lot friendlier for wins. I agree.......if we can stay healthy
yea the Niners and us as fan's need to be looking at this team on a week by week basis. They have stunk since 02 no need of counting any chickens before they hatch.
no doubt its a tough schedule, but there are some very winnable games. We are going to have to play our best football to win them, though, because we're obviously not good enough to half-ass our way through games.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
I've said 9 wins since last December (before our schedule even came out) and I'm sticking to it.
This might sound dumb, but our next game @ Houston is huge. Going 3-4 (with a loss @ Indy the next week) would be horrible for our team.

We have to win 1 of the next 2 on the road and I highly doubt we can go into Indy and win.
you are assuming that we are good , and if you go by the way we palyed lats game we are f**ked but if you go by the fist 4 games we are good enough to eek out some wins vs so so teams !
Originally posted by HessianDud:
no doubt its a tough schedule, but there are some very winnable games. We are going to have to play our best football to win them, though, because we're obviously not good enough to half-ass our way through games.

What I'm saying is that its NOT a tought schedule. Those 7 teams have an average power rankings of about 19 -- not too impressive. Throw out the games vs. Chi and GB and the average power ranking is 22 (we're 15th).
Originally posted by cNiner:
you are assuming that we are good , and if you go by the way we palyed lats game we are f**ked but if you go by the fist 4 games we are good enough to eek out some wins vs so so teams !

My point is that we are no worse than the other 7 teams we play with glaring flaws.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
This might sound dumb, but our next game @ Houston is huge. Going 3-4 (with a loss @ Indy the next week) would be horrible for our team.

We have to win 1 of the next 2 on the road and I highly doubt we can go into Indy and win.

Yes -- huge game but I think we'll be ready to roll: fired up and a healthy gore and crabtree as a spark.

If we beat Houston on the road, we'll need to win 3 of the 4 home games against mediocre teams to get to 9 wins.

Here's a look at strength of schedule for the NFC West Contenders (based on opp. ESPN Power Rankings):

SF - remaining opponents average ESPN power ranking: 18.25

ARI - remaining opponents average ESPN power ranking: 18.75

SEA - remaining opponents average ESPN power ranking: 20.5
it's all bad if da team dat played da atl shows up buuut if da team dat was playin solid football shows up(especially da team dat came seconds from beatin da vikings) den we'll b fine. all da games r winnable. da solid playin niners will only have a problem with colts. not so worried bout philly cause we have da same team as last yr & we were hangin with dem n2 da forth quarter til Just Turnova o'sullivan was doin 2 much n costed us da game. dat game will be late n da year so hopefully da offense will b more gelled 2gether & betta by den. dats jus me doe.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I'm ready for this team to step up & take care of buisness.

Originally posted by nickbradley:

What I'm saying is that its NOT a tought schedule. Those 7 teams have an average power rankings of about 19 -- not too impressive. Throw out the games vs. Chi and GB and the average power ranking is 22 (we're 15th).

I know, and I'm saying it IS a tough schedule. We're definitely not better than PHI or IND, and I don't think we're better than CHI or GB, and while I think we'll beat HOU it won't be a cakewalk. Add in playing on the road at SEA and a tough game against ARI and the majority of our games do not look easy at all. We can't take any of those games for granted, no matter what the power rankings are.

Again, we're improved, but we're not good enough to just go into those games thinking we should win.