LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

49er myths examined

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good thread,

As stated much of the problem does rest on the shoulders of the OL. We are on track to give up 55+ sacks, again. I don’t even want to know how many knock downs and hurries Hill is enduring but lets assume half the time he is under pressure. OL has to step up.

Hill is not the long term answer. He cannot throw the out or side line pass. As we all know the width of a football field is 53 1/3 yards. If he is on the left hash throwing to the right sideline that is a 28-32 yard pass he cannot make that pass without the CB knocking the ball down or picking it off this is a huge problem. Hill does fine on the 20-25 yard pass down the middle. His accuracy is good but his arm strength is horrible. He has to throw a rainbow or duck to get it deep down the field giving the secondary a chance to recover. Teams are learning that they only need to worry about covering the middle and 20-25 yards deep.

Again we are suffering through an offense learning a new system. Raye is just now figuring out what his personnel can do and what plays tend to work. Let’s pray he expands the play book now that he has had some time with the offense in game situations. At times I have moments of Déjà vu and I am watching Hostler all over again run on first down, run on second down, pass on 3rd and 6, bring in punt team. I am not happy with Raye and wish that Sing had not scared Lineham away with his rhetoric about smash mouth football. I think he could have done a lot for this team. Look at what he has accomplished in Detroit and they don’t have near the talent we do
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Good thread,

As stated much of the problem does rest on the shoulders of the OL. We are on track to give up 55+ sacks, again. I don’t even want to know how many knock downs and hurries Hill is enduring but lets assume half the time he is under pressure. OL has to step up.

Hill is not the long term answer. He cannot throw the out or side line pass. As we all know the width of a football field is 53 1/3 yards. If he is on the left hash throwing to the right sideline that is a 28-32 yard pass he cannot make that pass without the CB knocking the ball down or picking it off this is a huge problem. Hill does fine on the 20-25 yard pass down the middle. His accuracy is good but his arm strength is horrible. He has to throw a rainbow or duck to get it deep down the field giving the secondary a chance to recover. Teams are learning that they only need to worry about covering the middle and 20-25 yards deep.

Again we are suffering through an offense learning a new system. Raye is just now figuring out what his personnel can do and what plays tend to work. Let’s pray he expands the play book now that he has had some time with the offense in game situations. At times I have moments of Déjà vu and I am watching Hostler all over again run on first down, run on second down, pass on 3rd and 6, bring in punt team. I am not happy with Raye and wish that Sing had not scared Lineham away with his rhetoric about smash mouth football. I think he could have done a lot for this team. Look at what he has accomplished in Detroit and they don’t have near the talent we do

this
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Good thread,

this

Except Detroit has more talent. Stafford? Johnson?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Hills arm is strong enough to win. Yes it's not going to make you go wow. Now if he had more than 1 reciever (VD) to toss the rock to, a running game to take the pressure off, and finally a Oline that lets him step INTO throws so he could make the most of his arm he could end up being very successful.

Some of you are focused on arm strength yet when it comes to your QB, smart decisions, accuracy, and mental toughness are what you want them to develop that most guys lack and he's showing he has some ability at these things.

I doubt he gets benched for mr scared, bad decision poor accuracy A.Smith with a better arm any time this year.
Share 49ersWebzone