There are 274 users in the forums

Do agree with coach Sing's idea of his NBA style Timeouts??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do agree with coach Sing's idea of his NBA style Timeouts??

The truth is that blaming only Glen Coffee for that lost timeout is wrong. Singletary should also be blamed for his actions.. He burnt a timeout for no reason calling his team together to "regroup". What happened the next play? they get burned 24 yards for a TD.

Now I dont disagree that a time out should be called here and there for a momentum change, but timeouts in this league can either win or lose a game for u.. Its not like the nba...

Just look at the minnesota game.. Had they "regouped" one time in the second half wed be sitting at 4-1 right now because old fart favre wouldnt have had enough time to dust his old tush and throw that TD
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
The truth is that blaming only Glen Coffee for that lost timeout is wrong. Singletary should also be blamed for his actions.. He burnt a timeout for no reason calling his team together to "regroup". What happened the next play? they get burned 24 yards for a TD.

Now I dont disagree that a time out should be called here and there for a momentum change, but timeouts in this league can either win or lose a game for u.. Its not like the nba...

Just look at the minnesota game.. Had they "regouped" one time in the second half wed be sitting at 4-1 right now because old fart favre wouldnt have had enough time to dust his old tush and throw that TD

Sorry, but Sing can't be blamed for Coffee's mishap......that's all on him. You can argue about the regrouping all you want some like it some don't. The Minnesota game came down to us not being able to get a first down to finish off the game. I'm no Sing apologist, but gotta call a spade a spade.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I like it once in a while, but if you keep doing it, soon the players are just going to get annoyed by it, especially if the next play after results in a TD (See Atlanta game). So to answer the question, if used sparingly.
Don't do it every single game...
Originally posted by chimp914:
Don't do it every single game...

thank you.... thats my point
depends on the situation/ not in the 4th
depends on the situation/ not in the 4th
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Only every once in awhile.

I don't really even care for NBA style timeouts in the NBA, unless it's crunch time.

[ Edited by crzy on Oct 15, 2009 at 23:51:12 ]
timeouts are too important,we really could of used that timeout when delanie fumbled
We would have lost the AZ game if he didnt call to regroup.... enough said

I thought that's what tv timeouts were for...

Anyway, regrouping is what the offense, defense, special teams should be doing when they're on the sidelines....checking out the photos from above, discussing strategy with teamates, getting an earful from the coaches, etc. In the NFL, you don't get down by an unsurmountable sum within 90 seconds, so save those timeouts for last-minute drives, challenges, etc.

Shanghai'D
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Note to Coach Singletary from the Webzone: Only use NBA style timeouts when it works. Dont use it when it doesnt work.

In case you didnt understand what that meant: You were all praising him when he called the timeout to regroup the defense and they manned up and played great, yet you tell him not to do it cause we got burned on the next play (I dont remember what happened, im going off of previous posters)

[ Edited by Ether on Oct 16, 2009 at 00:49:32 ]
Timeouts have two purposes: Stopping time and having the ability to use Instant Replay.

If a QB is about to get a delay of game, just let them. Timeouts are too important. You have a chance to get back that 5 yards in one play, but you can never get that timeout back.
It's completely absurd and stupid. It's Singletary's passion getting the best of him. It cost us on the Delanie fumble which was really caused by the ground. In a close game Singletary will cost us.
I don't mind if he uses one for a change of momentum, but only if it's during the 1st half. 2nd half, they should be saved.
Share 49ersWebzone