There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nate Davis - Will he eventually be great?

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
We should wait til he at least throws one pass in the NFL before having this discussion
Forget that! Lets compare him to the Greatness that is Tom Brady.

Apparently Tom Brady's coaches at Michigan were Nate's coaches at Ball State.

I wonder if anyone would have the balls to want to ask them to compare Brady and Davis????

Oh heres a guy!

Look, if the sports world didn't operate under the control of a sports-media dictatorship, I wouldn't have to provide you the context. A powerful, unbiased, independent journalist would've traveled to Ball State during the summer and talked with the man who recruited Tom Brady to Michigan (Brady Hoke) and the man who coached Tom Brady at Michigan (Ball State offensive coordinator Stan Parrish).

Hoke and Parrish can put Nate Davis in context more effectively than I can.

Nate Davis has the tools to be better than Tom Brady. Hoke and Parrish will tell you that, and they absolutely adore Tom Brady.

Whitlock Bleacher Report 9/26/08

I don't know, but the bottom line is that Nate Davis has a cannon and Shaun Hill throws ducks. Davis is 10 years younger. We should be looking at benching Hill very shortly if this crap keeps up.

I'm about 97% sure that Frank Gore, even though he is doing his job behind a crappy line also, will make Hill's job 10 times easier. Oh yeah and if a guy like Crabtree can help Hill out too, I like our chances of being more successful.

Don't get me wrong, I want to phase Hill out eventually. I would like Davis to start for us next year and us not to waste a high draft pick on a QB. But I think Hill has proven he can be successful when surrounded by the right weapons (which he was missing the last 2 and 9/10ths games.

Yeah, but that was with Martz as the OC. He looks lost this year. Hopefully he can turn it around soon because we HAVE to beat Houston.
We should wait til he at least throws one pass in the NFL before having this discussion

I wonder if anyone would have the balls to want to ask them to compare Brady and Davis????

Oh heres a guy!

Look, if the sports world didn't operate under the control of a sports-media dictatorship, I wouldn't have to provide you the context. A powerful, unbiased, independent journalist would've traveled to Ball State during the summer and talked with the man who recruited Tom Brady to Michigan (Brady Hoke) and the man who coached Tom Brady at Michigan (Ball State offensive coordinator Stan Parrish).

Nate Davis has the tools to be better than Tom Brady. Hoke and Parrish will tell you that, and they absolutely adore Tom Brady.

I don't know, but the bottom line is that Nate Davis has a cannon and Shaun Hill throws ducks. Davis is 10 years younger. We should be looking at benching Hill very shortly if this crap keeps up.

I'm about 97% sure that Frank Gore, even though he is doing his job behind a crappy line also, will make Hill's job 10 times easier. Oh yeah and if a guy like Crabtree can help Hill out too, I like our chances of being more successful.

Don't get me wrong, I want to phase Hill out eventually. I would like Davis to start for us next year and us not to waste a high draft pick on a QB. But I think Hill has proven he can be successful when surrounded by the right weapons (which he was missing the last 2 and 9/10ths games.

Yeah, but that was with Martz as the OC. He looks lost this year. Hopefully he can turn it around soon because we HAVE to beat Houston.

He didn't look lost on a few long 4th quarter drives that resulted in TDs this year. I like how cool he's been in close games down the stretch. I guess he is just a polarizing figure. To you he has seemed lost the whole season apparently. And to me (other than the ATL game) he has done what he has been asked to do. Plus 2 INTs in 5 games. I like his ball control.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Oh heres a guy!

He didn't look lost on a few long 4th quarter drives that resulted in TDs this year. I like how cool he's been in close games down the stretch. I guess he is just a polarizing figure. To you he has seemed lost the whole season apparently. And to me (other than the ATL game) he has done what he has been asked to do. Plus 2 INTs in 5 games. I like his ball control.

He only has 2 INTs but keep in mind that he only has 5 TDs. That's not good enough through 5 games. I'd rather have someone who has 10 TDs and 4 INTs. Yes, he has looked good in 2 drives this year, but if that means something, I could say Alex Smith looked good against the Seattle Seahawks in 2006. I mean, you gotta come up with more than 2 drives. We're nearing the halfway point of the season. We lead the league in three-and-outs. Bottom line is that no matter how you analyze it, our QB play has been HORRIBLE this year, and the only reason Hill is even anywhere close to keeping his job is because Singletary and Raye are old school coaches who think that this team is the '85 Bears. Fine, he looked good a copule drives this year, but Ken Dorsey looked good in a couple drives when he played. Jim Druckenmiller looked good in a couple drives.

The more I see Hill play, the more I see that he isn't fit to be a starter in this league. He's been getting progressively worse since Week 1, and that's scary. I hope he shows me something in Houston. Maybe the extra week to prepare will help him.
Hopefully we can bring N.Davis along smoothly.. maybe he starts next year who knows... BUT I kno that we should not draft a QB with either of our 2 first round picks next year.... we need to draft OL and DT / Pass Rusher
I hope so but let's ease him in.
Originally posted by NinerN8:
I wish NFL Europe still existed. We could send nate over and see what he could do. maybe Alex Smith too!

jamal robertson and cody pickett were all-stars over there. nate playing wel in europe won't prove much
Hear me now, believe me later...If he is allowed to become familiar with the 9ers offense and stays healthy, Nate Davis will be one of the greatest 49er quarterbacks ever.
Originally posted by joebbadass:
Hear me now, believe me later...If he is allowed to become familiar with the 9ers offense and stays healthy, Nate Davis will be one of the greatest 49er quarterbacks ever.

I think you are setting the bar at a ridiculous height.

Carmazzi, Druckenmiller, Mirer, Rattay, Grbac, Pickett, we have just seen some of the all-time greats.

Personally I would like to see him thrown into a few games at an irrelevent part of the season to see if we need to spend a 1st next year or if he has a serious shot. At about the same time I would also like to see Smith on the field to see if the comments about his progress are justified or not.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Hopefully we can bring N.Davis along smoothly.. maybe he starts next year who knows... BUT I kno that we should not draft a QB with either of our 2 first round picks next year.... we need to draft OL and DT / Pass Rusher

You are insane. Drafting a franchise QB should be our #1 priority, if the right guy is available. It is VERY rare that you get a franchise QB in FA. They are drafted, and they are drafted in the 1st round.

We don't have a franchise QB on our roster. We won't get one in FA. Were exactly do you intend to find someone to fill that position if not in the 1st round and early as possible?
No one is going to completely learn our offense as long as we keep hiring temporary OC's. If you think Raye is long term...
Originally posted by WINiner:

You are insane. Drafting a franchise QB should be our #1 priority, if the right guy is available. It is VERY rare that you get a franchise QB in FA. They are drafted, and they are drafted in the 1st round.

We don't have a franchise QB on our roster. We won't get one in FA. Were exactly do you intend to find someone to fill that position if not in the 1st round and early as possible?

who are your franchise guys in the first round? bradford and mccoy are the only franchise guys i see and who knows if carolina will give us a top 10 pick
Originally posted by teeohh:

who are your franchise guys in the first round? bradford and mccoy are the only franchise guys i see and who knows if carolina will give us a top 10 pick

lets hope they're in the giving mood
Originally posted by teeohh:

After watching both of those qb's...I am not impressed.

Also, why the hell would you want to draft a young qb and stick him behind a line that cannot block? Did you guys not see the result of the last time we did that?

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 16, 2009 at 18:07:16 ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Nate will never be a starting Qb in the NFL. Can you say developmental player.

THANK YOU ENOUGH OF THIS MADNESS!!!
Originally posted by joebbadass:

wow you are the type of 49er fan that makes the rest of us look like idiots. dude lay off the drugs. playing well in preseason doesn't mean s**t. he played great at Ball state right? until the big games came along and he chocked. Cleo Lemon was one of the best preseason Qb's this year. what about him? go home!