LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Nate Davis - Will he eventually be great?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh yeah hight is the real measurement how good a player will be. Also how strong his arm is and his 40 time.
Sounds like Al Davis logic to, too bad it doesn't work that way.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Nate will never be a starting Qb in the NFL. Can you say developmental player.

Actually, Nate might have trouble saying those words.

I hope he ends up being great, but I'm not hopeful. I mean, if he ends up being our starter, what will we do to accommodate him? Pare down the playbook and strip it of all compound words so he can comprehend it?

Dude is also small. Some great players can overcome that, but I have seen nothing yet to suggest that he can.

And the laces . . . so strange.

Small?? 6'1" and 226lbs isnt that small !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a qb it is

Tom Brady is 6 foot 4 in
Peyton Manning 6 foot 5 in
Carson Palmer 6 foot 5 in
Eli Manning 6 foot 4 in
Ben Roethlisraper 6 foot 5 in

Joe Montana 6 foot 2
Steve Young 6 foot 2
Drew Brees 6 foot
Aaron Rodgers 6 foot 2

See...I can do that too.

BTW....I put this together for another thread about a month ago...

Nate Davis

see all those guys are all taller except for Drew Brees, so thanks for helping me make my point

....by 1/2 an inch.

Wow. I see your point.

last i checked the difference between 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 2 is 1 inch

and dont tell me 1 inch dont make a difference because my wife says other wise

Actually, Nate measured in at 6'1 3/4" -- I wouldn't believe for a second that 1/4 of an inch makes someone a potential starting-caliber player or not.

Current Successful (meaning had a winning season at least once) QBs drafted in the 5th or later:

Tom Brady - 6th
Derek Anderson - 6th
Jeff Garcia - Undrafted
Jake Delhomme - Undrafted
Kurt Warner - Undrafted
Tony Romo - Undrafted
Matt Hasselbeck - 6th
Marc Bulger - 6th
Matt Cassell - 7th

Even though Garcia is not on a team now, he could easily start for one I'm sure. If he were, that'd make 9/32 (just over 28%) teams having a late day two QB. So it's not too uncommon, though admittedly semi-rare.

Based on that data, there's a slightly better than 1 out of 4 chance that Nate would be successful IF he got a chance to start. Notice I said if he got a chance to start.

If you want the odds that he gets to start AND is successful.. well.. they decrease exponentially. I kind of hope we see this season sometime if Alex can live up to his potential, because otherwise, the odds are quite stacked against us in putting all hope in Davis -- even though I love the kid's potential and think we landed a first-day talent and an absolute steal, still.

You guys are saying that stuff as if it proves he will be successful. Yes, it's possible to be a short, late-round pick and be successful, but don't act like those aren't knocks on the guy.

Anyway, like dobo said, I'd love to see him be great, but it's highly unlikely. He's undersized and has a learning disability. Those smaller guys you listed don't have learning disabilities...or hold the ball all weird.

I'm confused. Did you quote the wrong post? All points there point to the substantially high unlikeliness that he does become "great."

If the odds are 1 in 4, let's see...

Druckenmiller
Carmazzi
Stenstrom
Rattay
Picket
Dorsey
Smith
Hill

I think Davis has a pretty good chance because we're due.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
who knows, but we should try to find out now so that way we know if we need to draft a QB.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Because he looked worse than Shaun Hill in preseason.
We should wait til he at least throws one pass in the NFL before having this discussion
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
We should wait til he at least throws one pass in the NFL before having this discussion
Forget that! Lets compare him to the Greatness that is Tom Brady.

Apparently Tom Brady's coaches at Michigan were Nate's coaches at Ball State.

I wonder if anyone would have the balls to want to ask them to compare Brady and Davis????

Oh heres a guy!

Look, if the sports world didn't operate under the control of a sports-media dictatorship, I wouldn't have to provide you the context. A powerful, unbiased, independent journalist would've traveled to Ball State during the summer and talked with the man who recruited Tom Brady to Michigan (Brady Hoke) and the man who coached Tom Brady at Michigan (Ball State offensive coordinator Stan Parrish).

Hoke and Parrish can put Nate Davis in context more effectively than I can.

Nate Davis has the tools to be better than Tom Brady. Hoke and Parrish will tell you that, and they absolutely adore Tom Brady.

Whitlock Bleacher Report 9/26/08

[ Edited by global_nomad on Oct 15, 2009 at 21:05:38 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I wonder if anyone would have the balls to want to ask them to compare Brady and Davis????

Oh heres a guy!

Look, if the sports world didn't operate under the control of a sports-media dictatorship, I wouldn't have to provide you the context. A powerful, unbiased, independent journalist would've traveled to Ball State during the summer and talked with the man who recruited Tom Brady to Michigan (Brady Hoke) and the man who coached Tom Brady at Michigan (Ball State offensive coordinator Stan Parrish).

Nate Davis has the tools to be better than Tom Brady. Hoke and Parrish will tell you that, and they absolutely adore Tom Brady.

I don't know, but the bottom line is that Nate Davis has a cannon and Shaun Hill throws ducks. Davis is 10 years younger. We should be looking at benching Hill very shortly if this crap keeps up.
Originally posted by B650:

Oh heres a guy!

I don't know, but the bottom line is that Nate Davis has a cannon and Shaun Hill throws ducks. Davis is 10 years younger. We should be looking at benching Hill very shortly if this crap keeps up.

I'm about 97% sure that Frank Gore, even though he is doing his job behind a crappy line also, will make Hill's job 10 times easier. Oh yeah and if a guy like Crabtree can help Hill out too, I like our chances of being more successful.

Don't get me wrong, I want to phase Hill out eventually. I would like Davis to start for us next year and us not to waste a high draft pick on a QB. But I think Hill has proven he can be successful when surrounded by the right weapons (which he was missing the last 2 and 9/10ths games.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Oh heres a guy!

I'm about 97% sure that Frank Gore, even though he is doing his job behind a crappy line also, will make Hill's job 10 times easier. Oh yeah and if a guy like Crabtree can help Hill out too, I like our chances of being more successful.

Don't get me wrong, I want to phase Hill out eventually. I would like Davis to start for us next year and us not to waste a high draft pick on a QB. But I think Hill has proven he can be successful when surrounded by the right weapons (which he was missing the last 2 and 9/10ths games.

Yeah, but that was with Martz as the OC. He looks lost this year. Hopefully he can turn it around soon because we HAVE to beat Houston.

Oh heres a guy!

Yeah, but that was with Martz as the OC. He looks lost this year. Hopefully he can turn it around soon because we HAVE to beat Houston.

He didn't look lost on a few long 4th quarter drives that resulted in TDs this year. I like how cool he's been in close games down the stretch. I guess he is just a polarizing figure. To you he has seemed lost the whole season apparently. And to me (other than the ATL game) he has done what he has been asked to do. Plus 2 INTs in 5 games. I like his ball control.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Oh heres a guy!

He didn't look lost on a few long 4th quarter drives that resulted in TDs this year. I like how cool he's been in close games down the stretch. I guess he is just a polarizing figure. To you he has seemed lost the whole season apparently. And to me (other than the ATL game) he has done what he has been asked to do. Plus 2 INTs in 5 games. I like his ball control.

He only has 2 INTs but keep in mind that he only has 5 TDs. That's not good enough through 5 games. I'd rather have someone who has 10 TDs and 4 INTs. Yes, he has looked good in 2 drives this year, but if that means something, I could say Alex Smith looked good against the Seattle Seahawks in 2006. I mean, you gotta come up with more than 2 drives. We're nearing the halfway point of the season. We lead the league in three-and-outs. Bottom line is that no matter how you analyze it, our QB play has been HORRIBLE this year, and the only reason Hill is even anywhere close to keeping his job is because Singletary and Raye are old school coaches who think that this team is the '85 Bears. Fine, he looked good a copule drives this year, but Ken Dorsey looked good in a couple drives when he played. Jim Druckenmiller looked good in a couple drives.

The more I see Hill play, the more I see that he isn't fit to be a starter in this league. He's been getting progressively worse since Week 1, and that's scary. I hope he shows me something in Houston. Maybe the extra week to prepare will help him.
Hopefully we can bring N.Davis along smoothly.. maybe he starts next year who knows... BUT I kno that we should not draft a QB with either of our 2 first round picks next year.... we need to draft OL and DT / Pass Rusher
I hope so but let's ease him in.
Originally posted by NinerN8:
I wish NFL Europe still existed. We could send nate over and see what he could do. maybe Alex Smith too!

jamal robertson and cody pickett were all-stars over there. nate playing wel in europe won't prove much
Share 49ersWebzone