LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

Our DB's got greedy!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In the first couple of games our DB's were making plays on the ball but also hitting the recievers. They were trying to jump the route on almost every play against the falcons and got burned. Why are they changing their style of play is it the coaches or the players?
Originally posted by Snider8706:
In the first couple of games our DB's were making plays on the ball but also hitting the recievers. They were trying to jump the route on almost every play against the falcons and got burned. Why are they changing their style of play is it the coaches or the players?

Not sure exactly what happened, but I think we may have gotten a little to confident & tried to overplay ourselves. Hopefully we are back to reality & won't listen to all the media & let it go to our heads again & play ball every week.
I think they are used to Hill's floaters in practice but Ryan has a gun.
not only greedy but stupid greedy, several times 9er DB's looked stupid trying to get the pick and giving up a big play. I believe this game will serve as a nice reality check and will do alot of good for the team as the season goes on.
Originally posted by matt49er:
not only greedy but stupid greedy, several times 9er DB's looked stupid trying to get the pick and giving up a big play. I believe this game will serve as a nice reality check and will do alot of good for the team as the season goes on.

I really hope so.....I can't take watching another beatdown.
  • king32
  • Info N/A
In past years, I got really frustrated when our corners would give 10-yard cushions to the opposing WRs, even on 3rd and shorts. I think leading up to the Falcons game, they did a solid job at not simply just conceding the underneath routes, but also not getting beat over the top. Hopefully our DBs stay disciplined whether we're up or down against the other team. Nate's failed gamble on that 90-yarder to Roddy White really caused a huge shift in momentum.
Originally posted by king32:
In past years, I got really frustrated when our corners would give 10-yard cushions to the opposing WRs, even on 3rd and shorts. I think leading up to the Falcons game, they did a solid job at not simply just conceding the underneath routes, but also not getting beat over the top. Hopefully our DBs stay disciplined whether we're up or down against the other team. Nate's failed gamble on that 90-yarder to Roddy White really caused a huge shift in momentum.

yeah that killed me. plus he didn't even try to tackle him.
Interesting point, the DB's did gamble quite often the last game....I hope they ate some good humble pie, because Andre Johnson is twice the receiver Roddy White is.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Snider8706:

1) Matt Ryan is 5x the QB Hill or Smith will ever be.

2) The center of our defense was soft due to a lack of safety range. Lewis is effectively another LB and Goldson seems to be late when it comes to hitting a receiver when he catches the ball. The ideal player here is Polamalu.

3) CBs were left one on one when Manusky decided to blitz because the front 4 (Haralson included here) were not getting to Ryan. The CBs would go to bump and run but the blitz would get picked up exposing the CBs. You can only cover a receiver one on one for so long.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Interesting point, the DB's did gamble quite often the last game....I hope they ate some good humble pie, because Andre Johnson is twice the receiver Roddy White is.

Exactly! If our corners play like that again then Andre Johnson is going to have a career day against us. Matt Shaub might be inconsistant but he knows how to find Johnson. I have faith in clements and Spencer but they need to be more disciplined and our front four need to get pressure.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

Especially since none of them has any closing speed, if anybody quick gets behind the defense they are long gone.
Agreed. Until last week, I was certain that our defense could compete with anybody.

I've lost all that confidence.
I read somewhere that Manusky gives his corners a lot of freedom to determine how they'll cover their assignment on any given play.

I think the truth is that we started gambling (and stopped playing solid football) after falling behind so early in the game. Instead of making the tackle, we tried making plays for the ball. Every one of those gambles blew up in our face. Nothing was going our way.
Nate Clements missed the tackle...poof, 90 yard TD. Remember, TO at Dallas? Same thing. He doesn't do it all the time, but he does screw up on occasion big time.

It wasn't about coverage. It was about tackling and doing their job. Clements lapsed pure and simple as one example.

Greed wasn't the issue.

Focus was.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Nate Clements missed the tackle...poof, 90 yard TD. Remember, TO at Dallas? Same thing. He doesn't do it all the time, but he does screw up on occasion big time.

It wasn't about coverage. It was about tackling and doing their job. Clements lapsed pure and simple as one example.

Greed wasn't the issue.

Focus was.

I agree totally, Nate Clements usually has at least 1 bad game per year. Hopefully there will be no more this year.
Share 49ersWebzone