LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 276 users in the forums

Is it lack of talent or Coaching for the O-lines failures?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it lack of talent or Coaching for the O-lines failures?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
A bit of both

This, anyone remember Bobb McKittrick? It seems when he was line coach we could find pro bowl lineman bagging groceries at Safeway. My favorite example was Jesse Sapolu the guy was picked in the 11th round and was a pro bowler. That doesn't happen around here anymore. And yes, for you youngsters the NFL draft was 11 rounds, back in the day.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
A bit of both

This, anyone remember Bobb McKittrick? It seems when he was line coach we could find pro bowl lineman bagging groceries at Safeway. My favorite example was Jesse Sapolu the guy was picked in the 11th round and was a pro bowler. That doesn't happen around here anymore. And yes, for you youngsters the NFL draft was 11 rounds, back in the day.

I think it's both too. I also think we only have two dependable starter's on our roster, Staley and Heitman and MAYBE Rachel...but that damn sure isn't right now, with him.

I'm not confident that any of the other's are going to pan out to be anything other than back up's. I think we need some upgrading on that line, personnel and coaching. I'm done with it...I am on the verge of voting to blow the whole damn thing up in the off season except for Staley, Heitman and Rachel.

[ Edited by Blitz on Oct 14, 2009 at 16:36:59 ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
In my view coaching. If you have the technique correct then there is no issues. Whilst we keep being informed that they will work on it and it will come good, the mere fact our QB and RBs are so under performing is largely due to the consistency this OL have shown in not learning from mistakes.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
A bit of both

It wasn't just finding them. He could make them overachieve. He would take a regular guy and turn him into something. And, he could put together a kick ass line out of a pile of ho-hum pieces. Take a pile of s**t and make into something. What was cool about him for us, was the type of player's he wanted were a dime a dozen to find. Smaller guys....so he could always find someone, cheap, and make it work it well.

I'd give my right arm to have another McKitttrick coaching our line. He would make this s**t we have right now work, I guarantee it.

[ Edited by Blitz on Oct 14, 2009 at 16:48:06 ]
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Where's the "Both" option?
Look at Foresters record! dude sucks!
A bit of both

You beat me to it. Old Bobb could take everyone's rejects and mold them into a cohesive and exemplary unit, even the talent we have now. Fantastic line coach! RIP
  • Mex49
Where is the GM spot. After further review, Scoty is just not getting it done.
It's both but coaching is worse. In every game the oline seem lost. They don't seem to know their assignments or anything.

IMO we gotta get a better C, RG, LG and specially RT, pretty much a brand new line lol.
Look at Mon nite's game. The jets with Faneca, FA , who we could have gone after, but mcclown didn't give him a sniff. The Fins with Smiley, who bored holes thru the vaunted jets DL... scot wouldn't give him $5mil per yr , up from his $4mil per yr. "Too much money" and not worth it were the words i recall, both here and elsewhere. We didn't even make an attempt to sign smiley. Looks like really poor decision in the past.

So yeah, we have a p-poor OL coach, who needs to be immediately replaced, a talent shy OL with only STaley as a standout, and chilo having a very good first yr, then regressing this yr(that's coaching...bad coaching folks). Snyder, Baas, Heitmann, were just poor choices, pashos, marvel, sims, really terrible choices as imports. This starts at the top, and frankly, our GM doesn't seem to know enough about building a football team to keep his job. He was tutored by Wolf , who very definitely knew the value of good OLs and DLs. Scot has blown it here, and has grieviously injured us. He either gets with the program and gets his QBs some help, or he needs to leave.

The long shot on CRaps when Oher was there was frankly silly. We better be looking at two _2_ OLs in first rd for my money.

Originally posted by NolanMustDie:
Originally posted by valrod33:
blame it on the rain

blame it on the stars

blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol

Blame it on o-ba-ba-ba-ba-bama
Share 49ersWebzone