Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Alex Smith can't even run the offense we have now

how do you know??? he hasnt been given a shot..

The problem is the O-line and that turtle shaun hill

What do you call the 6 month long QB competition?? He had just as much of a shot as the winning "Turtle"!

It's called shaking off the rust after being injured for 2 years, and getting acclimated to football again. Ask Manny Lawson about that one day, and he's at a far easier position to acclimate back. That said, if our TE/WR knew how to catch passes with velocity behind them, who knows how MUCH better Alex would have looked over Hill in preseason?

Please refrain from using logic when posting on these boards. This is your only warning.

Here are some facts for you too:

Crabtree goes through practice No. 2

Quote:
“In 11-on-11 drills, Alex Smith threw another 15- or so catchable pass at Crabtree's ankles that Crabtree could not come up with. Another Smith pass to Crabtree was broken up by the defensive backs.”

And, here's some for you:

15-38 for 198 yards. That's an amazing 39.5% completion rate with a very healthy 5.2 yards per attempt. W00T!!!!111 Way to go, Captain Wounded Duck!

What do you call the 6 month long QB competition?? He had just as much of a shot as the winning "Turtle"!

It's called shaking off the rust after being injured for 2 years, and getting acclimated to football again. Ask Manny Lawson about that one day, and he's at a far easier position to acclimate back. That said, if our TE/WR knew how to catch passes with velocity behind them, who knows how MUCH better Alex would have looked over Hill in preseason?

Please refrain from using logic when posting on these boards. This is your only warning.

Quote:
“In 11-on-11 drills, Alex Smith threw another 15- or so catchable pass at Crabtree's ankles that Crabtree could not come up with. Another Smith pass to Crabtree was broken up by the defensive backs.”

I also like how you took that out of context to make it sound a lot worse than it really was:

Quote:
By my count, three throws were in his direction. One came during an early drill in which the only players are quarterbacks, receivers and defensive backs. Nate Davis fired a 15-yard pass slightly above Crabtree's head. Crabtree reached up and snagged it out of the air. In 11-on-11 drills, Alex Smith threw another 15- or so catchable pass at Crabtree's ankles that Crabtree could not come up with. Another Smith pass to Crabtree was broken up by the defensive backs. Again, while the scout team offense certainly is trying to complete passes, they don't spend a lot of time on these routes.

So, three passes went his way. Three. One 15-yard pass from Nate was caught. One 15-yard pass from Smith was CATCHABLE, but he failed to bring it in. The final one was broken up by the defensive back. The report is less about how bad Smith sucks and more about how Crabby is still not game ready.

Quote:

15-38 for 198 yards. That's an amazing 39.5% completion rate with a very healthy 5.2 yards per attempt. W00T!!!!111 Way to go, Captain Wounded Duck!

Guys, I will settle this debate for you. Both Qb sucks. I mean really blows.
No way. Alex Smith can't even read defenses and go through his checkdowns at a decent pace. How's he going to make quick decisions and run the Wildcat?
Originally posted by 49time:

Quote:

That's what I've been saying for quite some time now.

I think Memphis49er has really hit the nail on the head: The hypocrisy in the debate between Hill vs. Smith is remarkable.
Miami created the Wildcat to get their Best 11 offensive players on the field. Both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams were better than Pennington. Plus Parcels and Sparano wanted a ball control offense. Ergo, the Wildcat, a very creative solution by OC Dan Henning. Miami is STILL the only team where the Wildcat is effective. And that's the reason. They get their best offensive talent on the field.

Other clubs who play around with the Wildact-concept as the latest fad, are missing the point. It's all about talent-on-the-field.

Now, understanding that, does anyone still really believe that Alex Smith is one of the Niners Best 11 offensive players? Didn't think so.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:20:53 ]
Man you groupy Smith fans CANT get over this bust huh????

get off is dizznittzz already LET IT GO!!!!!!!!
I don't care about the wildcat. I've watched Kyle Orton play like SH!T in the pre-season and the first couple games to turn it all around and be playing pretty darn good now. The guy was not really considered a Starting QB! I think the biggest mistake we have made is in not letting Alex play. The kid has more talent than Orton has but for whatever reason the Niners have done wrong with his development and it doesn't appear to be changing. If Sing wants to be great then he has to take chances. You can't win it all with a lame duck wobble throwing QB that has not even an average NFL arm. I know the debate is with Hill we may win our division and get killed in the playoffs so if that's the real feeling why not go with the guy with the arm and see what he can do.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Miami created the Wildcat to get their Best 11 offensive players on the field. Both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams were better than Pennington. Plus Parcels and Sparano wanted a ball control offense. Ergo, the Wildcat, a very creative solution by OC Dan Henning. Miami is STILL the only team where the Wildcat is effective. And that's the reason. They get their best offensive talent on the field.

Other clubs who play around with the Wildact-concept as the latest fad, are missing the point. It's all about talent-on-the-field.

Now, understanding that, does anyone still really believe that Alex Smith is one of the Niners Best 11 offensive players? Didn't think so.

Maybe not right now....IMO.

I don't think Hill is a playoff caliber QB either. He's good for now, but he wont be starting next year!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:49:24 ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

They can't. They're like the hippies on Telegraph Ave.

I would rather watch Smith run it than Spurlock. Smith has some speed for a QB and he's an actual QB so defenses have to account for his throwing ability. With Spurlock or MRob defenses pretty much know whats going to happen MOST of the time.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

They can't. They're like the hippies on Telegraph Ave.

especially Mr 49ersman420

hes in with him
Originally posted by 49time:

Quote:

That's what I've been saying for quite some time now.

I think Memphis49er has really hit the nail on the head: The hypocrisy in the debate between Hill vs. Smith is remarkable.

Not only remarkable, but ridiculous. We have some fans that aren't very smart...but you gotta love 'em anyways. They want what they think is best for the team.
Alex Smith became the #1 pick of the draft because he was so successful running Urban Meyer's version of the wildcat. Whether it works in the NFL is another story.
Let's get back on topic guys.

Question: If Alex Smith runs the Wild Cat, which type of cat will it be?

I'll take my answer off the air, guys.
Share 49ersWebzone