There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A realistic perspective: perfect lesson at an ideal time

That is Singletary's formula for success, grind teams down, hold onto the ball, increase time of possession, and be in better shape than the other team and more aggressive. Have the defense hold the score down and in the end win, by whatever margin of victory we can get. We won every game by following the formula. Enough odd plays happened to put us out of our formulary and we fell apart. So lets get back to the formula and get another grinding win. We simply have to be disciplined and keep grinding. We are not a high scoring team. If we score more than 24 points we will need the defense and special teams to score for us. That is simply our formula and our team.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Well that's all fine but people need to realize that IF we had GORE the min game is a win, and atl is still a loss. So heading into the bye 3-2 or 4-1 would of been great. 3-2 isn't so bad considering with our OL, I don't think Brady or Manning ould of done much better than Hill with our lack of weapons.

Even with a very good TE, and NO WR's & Injuries, we still won 3 out of 5 (would of been 4 if gore is healthy) Not many other teams could of done as well against the Cards Vikes and so on so i'm happy.

If our OL actually gives Hill some time to pass, NOT MUCH just about 3 seconds, we are going to be a great team.

sheesh, even 2 seconds would be nice...

Originally posted by NY9er:
Originally posted by Adman:
I agree with everything except for the part where you say we have a reasonably easy schedule.

We play Houston, Indi, Phili, Green Bay, Tennessee, etc.

We only have 2 games left where you can say we should definitely win that game. And that's against the Rams and Lions. And the Lions aren't really push overs these days.

Tennessee is 0-5. They were crushed by the jags who then got merkd by the seahawks. i say we win 2 of the other 4 mentioned

I feel like we crush Houston coming off a bye and a terrible game, kill the Rams, beat the seahawks, lions, titans at min that's 8 wins right there. we will get 1 of the other at min there's 9-7 5-1 or 6-0 in the division and the playoffs.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
niners will end up 10-6 and win the west

Man I hope you are right!!!
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
That is Singletary's formula for success, grind teams down, hold onto the ball, increase time of possession, and be in better shape than the other team and more aggressive. Have the defense hold the score down and in the end win, by whatever margin of victory we can get. We won every game by following the formula. Enough odd plays happened to put us out of our formulary and we fell apart. So lets get back to the formula and get another grinding win. We simply have to be disciplined and keep grinding. We are not a high scoring team. If we score more than 24 points we will need the defense and special teams to score for us. That is simply our formula and our team.

I agree with your assessment of what the formula is - there's just one statistical problem with this; the 49ers are a poor running team and are 28th in the league at TOP. Victories have come from turnovers, a couple of freak special teams plays, and a couple of key TD passes or runs in close games. Convincing victories have come against teams who can't muster enough offense to challenge our defense whether they don't have talent or healthy starters.

None of this indicates the 49ers have a sustainable executable formula for consistent winning throughout the season as the schedule becomes more challenging and as team actually prepare and challenge our D. The 49ers are near last in the NFL in every statistical offensive category which means the record indicates the defense and special teams have been over-achieving and have carried this team to a 3-2 record.

The offense has to show some consistency at some point during this season (like the defense) in order for this team to have any hopes of reaching a .500 record.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I agree with your assessment of what the formula is - there's just one statistical problem with this; the 49ers are a poor running team and are 28th in the league at TOP. Victories have come from turnovers, a couple of freak special teams plays, and a couple of key TD passes or runs in close games. Convincing victories have come against teams who can't muster enough offense to challenge our defense whether they don't have talent or healthy starters.

None of this indicates the 49ers have a sustainable executable formula for consistent winning throughout the season as the schedule becomes more challenging and as team actually prepare and challenge our D. The 49ers are near last in the NFL in every statistical offensive category which means the record indicates the defense and special teams have been over-achieving and have carried this team to a 3-2 record.

The offense has to show some consistency at some point during this season (like the defense) in order for this team to have any hopes of reaching a .500 record.

Actually, this raises an interesting question- assuming our rushing attack doesn't improve dramatically (and I'm not saying that it won't), at what point does Singletary abandon or at least seriously alter the formula and start relying more on the passing game?

If you look at his long-term plan, he wants to be a dominant rushing team, but if in the short-term the rush-focused approach just isn't winning games, he's got to seriously consider opening it up.

With the addition of Crabtree the pressure to change becomes even stronger if the rushing game doesn't pick up. I know Crabtree is a big question mark right now and he has a lot to learn, but his natural ability is bound to have an impact if we can get him the ball.

Singletary is hard-nosed but he's also (I hope) wise enough not to send Frank Gore repeatedly into a brick wall. Let's just hope the O-Line can start executing so we don't have to answer this question.
Originally posted by kemp_j:

Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

I've never seen anyone post in almost 20 different threads in 20 minutes.

Must be a record.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

I've never seen anyone post in almost 20 different threads in 20 minutes.

Must be a record.

I hope that it is but there are a bunch of people here who have a hell of a lot more posts than me, I'm sure its been done before.