There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why are so many fans accepting of the "we were not prepared" excuse

Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
What else can we do? Demand answers?

no but you don't have to repeat the nonsense, look at all these responses

Everyone is saying they were not prepared

yeah, im' sure they didnt just do drills and walk around all week doing nothing. I think atlanta was just more talented and faster than us, and it knocked us off our horse and we weren't able to climb back on...
Originally posted by kem99:
It is pretty clear that the 49ers were not prepared to play. Did the coaches prepare a gameplan they thought was a good gameplan? I'm sure they thought so. Did the players work hard during the week? I'm sure they did or at least thought they did. Did they come out flat? No question. Did they not react well when it started to unravel? Absolutely.

The truth is no team in the NFL is 35 points better than any other team in the NFL and the Falcons on the road are certainly are not 35 points better than the 49ers at home. That's why the "we were not prepared" explanation has some merit. You only have to watch the 49ers prior 4 games to know that they did not "try their best" against Atlanta. If that was their best, you would have seen it against the Vikings as well and the game would not have come down to the last play. It would have been worse than last Sunday.

Begs the question, why the hell weren't they prepared?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,858
Originally posted by danimal:
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

I see what your saying...kinda of like how every time you fail a math test it's because you were not prepared, even though you studied huh?

If I was to fail a Math test even though I prepared for it, my analysis would be that I did not prepare for it enough. And my suggestion would be to prepare better next time.

[ Edited by Blitz on Oct 13, 2009 at 17:27:55 ]
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by kem99:
It is pretty clear that the 49ers were not prepared to play. Did the coaches prepare a gameplan they thought was a good gameplan? I'm sure they thought so. Did the players work hard during the week? I'm sure they did or at least thought they did. Did they come out flat? No question. Did they not react well when it started to unravel? Absolutely.

The truth is no team in the NFL is 35 points better than any other team in the NFL and the Falcons on the road are certainly are not 35 points better than the 49ers at home. That's why the "we were not prepared" explanation has some merit. You only have to watch the 49ers prior 4 games to know that they did not "try their best" against Atlanta. If that was their best, you would have seen it against the Vikings as well and the game would not have come down to the last play. It would have been worse than last Sunday.

Begs the question, why the hell weren't they prepared?

That is the golden question that cannot be answered by anyone.
not sure if preparing prepares us to tackle "nate clements"!
What can you really expect? We have a rookie coach making rookie mistakes, surrounded by an abysmal coaching staff that wouldn't even cut it in division II football.

Other than Manusky, Sing should've literally aborted 80% of the coaching staff Nolan had left behind. Bill Walsh taught Sing to surround himself by great people as a measuring stick for success, and he's already failed within his first shot.

Singletary says on his NFL Network ad he wants to 'win the 49er way', well winning the 49er way is not the Chicago Bear way. Sorry Sing, but our tradition is fineness and intelligence, not "WE'S GONNA CALL EVERY PLAY WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S COMING CUZ WE SO GOOD YOU CAN'T SHUT US DOWN!"

Singletary accomplished something Sunday that not even Nolan or Erickson could: achieve a horrible loss that hasn't happened since before the Walsh era.

Sunday was the darkest f**king day in 49ers history, and there are no excuses.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by danimal:
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

I see what your saying...kinda of like how every time you fail a math test it's because you were not prepared, even though you studied huh?

If I was to fail a Math test even though I prepared for it, my analysis would be that I did not prepare for it enough. And my suggestion would be to prepare better next time.

Now consider this.

You passed 4 of the same type of tests with flying colors before the one you failed...and you prepared equally for all of them. Wouldn't you be tempted to rule it out as a bad day and change absolutely nothing to your preparation model?

Sometimes I also think coaches just give a generic "we were not prepared and we will fix that" because they don't want to admit that they don't plan on changing anything because they think they are at optimal capacity currently

[ Edited by danimal on Oct 13, 2009 at 17:39:09 ]
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by danimal:
It always bewilders me how often coaches use that term and it gets regurgitated by media and fans

Not Prepared? BULLs**t. Preparing is exactly what you did all week long. I mean its not like Coach went off on vacation and a bunch of players called in sick.

Its like, if I challenged Pacquiao to a fight, and trained my ass off for 3 months, got the worlds best trainers and a highly qualifed corner. Then ding ding, I am knocked out in 15 seconds.....would you accept that I lost because I was not prepared??

I like Sing and everything but I have always thought this is a lame excuse. The Niners WERE prepared, they tried their best and lost

I see what your saying...kinda of like how every time you fail a math test it's because you were not prepared, even though you studied huh?

If I was to fail a Math test even though I prepared for it, my analysis would be that I did not prepare for it enough. And my suggestion would be to prepare better next time.

Now consider this.

You passed 4 of the same type of tests with flying colors before the one you failed...and you prepared equally for all of them. Wouldn't you be tempted to rule it out as a bad day and change absolutely nothing to your preparation model?

Sometimes I also think coaches just give a generic "we were not prepared and we will fix that" because they don't want to admit that they don't plan on changing anything because they think they are at optimal capacity currently

Personally, if I prepared equally for all of them and failed one of them, my reaction would be that there was something wrong in the way I prepared for the test I failed.
  • mando1988
  • Info N/A
the niners got spanked by the falcons...oh well! what can singletary or anyone do about it now?? nothing...just move on to the next game and learn from the loss...go niners!
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 580
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by kem99:
It is pretty clear that the 49ers were not prepared to play. Did the coaches prepare a gameplan they thought was a good gameplan? I'm sure they thought so. Did the players work hard during the week? I'm sure they did or at least thought they did. Did they come out flat? No question. Did they not react well when it started to unravel? Absolutely.

The truth is no team in the NFL is 35 points better than any other team in the NFL and the Falcons on the road are certainly are not 35 points better than the 49ers at home. That's why the "we were not prepared" explanation has some merit. You only have to watch the 49ers prior 4 games to know that they did not "try their best" against Atlanta. If that was their best, you would have seen it against the Vikings as well and the game would not have come down to the last play. It would have been worse than last Sunday.

Begs the question, why the hell weren't they prepared?

Certainly a fair question, which is what Singletary is essentially acknowledging (i.e. clear the team wasn't prepared, the coaches need to take responsibility for that as do the players). With that said, its not like this only happens to the 49ers. Its part of the NFL's "any given Sunday" one team can beat another. For that matter, lets not forget that midway through the 2nd quarter, it was a 14-10 game, the 49ers had just recovered a fumble and had the ball on the Falcons 30 yard line. Unfortunately, Hill then got sacked, the 49ers had to punt instead of trying a FG and it snow-balled from there starting with White's 90 yard catch and run and by the end of the half it was 35-10. Just shows how quickly an NFL game can turn. If they kick a FG and its 14-13, the entire complexion of the game may have changed...or they might have lost 45-13 instead....
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Did you watch the game... They were not prepared...

pre⋅pared  /prɪˈpɛərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pri-paird] Show IPA
Use prepared in a Sentence
See web results for prepared
See images of prepared
–adjective 1. properly expectant, organized, or equipped; ready:

Again, I am just not sure "prepared" is the right word sports fans should be using.

Properly expectant? They seemed to know what time the game started and where it would be played

organized? How come Joe Staley was not playing QB and Battle at Center? Hmm, they seemed organized.

Equipped? Refs seemed to be ok with the gear they had on

Ready? They looked purposeful to me as the game began...I am pretty sure they practiced all week.

So here is a question......what decides when you were just beaten, or you failed versus not being prepared???? Can anyone answer this?

I did not study for a test and failed. I was not prepared
I did study for a test and failed. I was prepared but just was not a match. I suppose I could say in this situation I was not prepared just to make myself feel better about the next test I take

Just because you studied Math does not mean you were prepared for a History test. They threw plays at us that the team did not prepare for; that is why we were unprepared.

In other words we were OUTCOACHED.

[ Edited by NinersCluebat on Oct 13, 2009 at 18:15:20 ]
Hey at least Singletary gives honest answers, unlike Nolan who flubbed through his post game media interviews.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Hey at least Singletary gives honest answers, unlike Nolan who flubbed through his post game media interviews.

It's almost like Nolan was speaking another language when he was on the podium. He wasn't even an average bulsh**ter.
"We were not prepared" is an easy excuse that still gives players and fans hope. The 9ers were exposed and quit because they lack heart. With all the roster moves now everyone knows there scrambling.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
"We were not prepared" is an easy excuse that still gives players and fans hope. The 9ers were exposed and quit because they lack heart. With all the roster moves now everyone knows there scrambling.

All the roster moves?

Rossum was cut to make room for Crabtree.

Sheets was picked up by Miami.

Khalif Mitchell was signed to the PS to replace Sheets.

Oh yeah the are scrambling

[ Edited by dirtysouthniner on Oct 13, 2009 at 18:58:59 ]