LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

Heard on KNBR on why we looked lost on the deep ball

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I don't buy this garbage about Hill being the reason the team doesn't throw deep. It's all Raye's scheme.

Hill's 2008 stats when attempting passes of 31+ yds;
28 completions out of 42 attempts, that's 66%. 296yds with 4TDs and 1int. 108.8 QB rating.

He threw deep last year with some success. Of course some bad things come along with that, like more sacks. But the proof is there, the guy CAN throw deeper than 10 yds. The only thing that's different this year is the man calling the plays.

It's not that he cant throw 30+ yards, its how he does it. While most starting QB's can throw a bullet at 30yards Hill is lobbing the ball. If you watch most of his long passes they almost become jump balls because the have so much air underneath them.

If you increase the distance to 45+ yards he cant hit the WR in full stride and usually they are coming back to get the ball.

Unfortunate truth. I like Hill, and I've been pulling for him to succeed. He's a capable backup, game manager, all that s**t. Not a guy who can throw it on a frozen rope. Floaters get picked, everyone knows that, hence all the short passes.

Davis was throwing it at the sideline 25 yards with relative ease and accuracy during preseason, so I at least know Raye knows how to call deeper pass plays, he just has little faith in Hill's ability.

Hill's leash is growing shorter, and Smith will be in at some point whether headz on here like it or not.

Alls I know is, I'm getting tired of 3 yard run AND pass plays.

But the 2 yard run up the middle is the staple of our offense
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
I don't buy this garbage about Hill being the reason the team doesn't throw deep. It's all Raye's scheme.

28 completions out of 42 attempts, that's 66%. 296yds with 4TDs and 1int. 108.8 QB rating.

He threw deep last year with some success. Of course some bad things come along with that, like more sacks. But the proof is there, the guy CAN throw deeper than 10 yds. The only thing that's different this year is the man calling the plays.

It's not that he cant throw 30+ yards, its how he does it. While most starting QB's can throw a bullet at 30yards Hill is lobbing the ball. If you watch most of his long passes they almost become jump balls because the have so much air underneath them.

If you increase the distance to 45+ yards he cant hit the WR in full stride and usually they are coming back to get the ball.

Unfortunate truth. I like Hill, and I've been pulling for him to succeed. He's a capable backup, game manager, all that s**t. Not a guy who can throw it on a frozen rope. Floaters get picked, everyone knows that, hence all the short passes.

Davis was throwing it at the sideline 25 yards with relative ease and accuracy during preseason, so I at least know Raye knows how to call deeper pass plays, he just has little faith in Hill's ability.

Hill's leash is growing shorter, and Smith will be in at some point whether headz on here like it or not.

Yes, his deep throws tend to almost be jump balls. Everyone of them I have seen has been the receiver making a good play for it, not the QB making a throw that only the receiver can make a play on.
Originally posted by Blitz:

I don't care how he throws it. That wasn't my point. My point was that Hill has had success throwing deeper passes than what we've seen this year. I'm so tired of seeing screen after screen and dumpoff after dumpoff. Hill did fairly well throwing 30+ yds last year, what's the problem this year?
It's Raye with his 1930s playbook

lol

Last year VD stayed into to block so the play would have time to develop down field. We still got our ass whipped in pass protection even with max protect going. This year, he's out running routes but the drawback is there is less time for the play to develop. And, we are still getting our ass whipped in pass protection.

Take your pick...you can hold VD back to let the play develop down field, or you can send him out on the routes. Pick either one, but either which one you do...your not going to get your cake and be able to eat it to.

My hunch is that if he was to hold VD back you would b***h about not using VD the right way.
Raye has chosen (correctly I add) utilize VD more as a receiving weapon instead of a blocker. That has come with a price...less time for plays to develop. Hence, the game plan is short to medium, which is exactly where it should be given our lack of execution on the o-line, and our lack of QB who can fire that ball out with some zip.

Now, if you get the o-line to pass protect worth a s**t, and a QB who can fire that ball accurately with zip (particularly on the medium to deep out routes) then you will get to have your cake and eat it to. It won't happen a moment before then, no matter who the O coordinator is, I guarantee it.

Your hunch would be wrong, as I'm not a huge fan of VD.
So it's the QB's fault that the O-line is playing like garbage? Give him time and he'll make the throws. Keep VD in to block if that's what it takes, I don't care. We have other play makers out there that could easily pick up VD's over-rated production

I don't care how he throws it. That wasn't my point. My point was that Hill has had success throwing deeper passes than what we've seen this year. I'm so tired of seeing screen after screen and dumpoff after dumpoff. Hill did fairly well throwing 30+ yds last year, what's the problem this year?

lol

Last year VD stayed into to block so the play would have time to develop down field. We still got our ass whipped in pass protection even with max protect going. This year, he's out running routes but the drawback is there is less time for the play to develop. And, we are still getting our ass whipped in pass protection.

Take your pick...you can hold VD back to let the play develop down field, or you can send him out on the routes. Pick either one, but either which one you do...your not going to get your cake and be able to eat it to.

My hunch is that if he was to hold VD back you would b***h about not using VD the right way.
Raye has chosen (correctly I add) utilize VD more as a receiving weapon instead of a blocker. That has come with a price...less time for plays to develop. Hence, the game plan is short to medium, which is exactly where it should be given our lack of execution on the o-line, and our lack of QB who can fire that ball out with some zip.

Now, if you get the o-line to pass protect worth a s**t, and a QB who can fire that ball accurately with zip (particularly on the medium to deep out routes) then you will get to have your cake and eat it to. It won't happen a moment before then, no matter who the O coordinator is, I guarantee it.

So it's the QB's fault that the O-line is playing like garbage? Give him time and he'll make the throws. Keep VD in to block if that's what it takes, I don't care. We have other play makers out there that could easily pick up VD's over-rated production

Keeping VD in does nothing. They are coming around the edge and up the middle.

Yes, his deep throws tend to almost be jump balls. Everyone of them I have seen has been the receiver making a good play for it, not the QB making a throw that only the receiver can make a play on.

Not all of them were jump balls....the ones he punted to Morgan against the Rams were in stride.....
To me, the question about Hill's arm strength is not the distance but the velocity.

I think this is why his long balls look like rainbows and also the reason why we don't use very many quick outs.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
To me, the question about Hill's arm strength is not the distance but the velocity.

I think this is why his long balls look like rainbows and also the reason why we don't use very many quick outs.

-9fA

there is no other explanation imo
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

lol

Yes. He missed that point I made about the pass protection sucking regardless if it was max protect, or VD staying in.

When defenses can get pressure up the middle, your done. Nothing will save your ass, no amount of deep ball is goint to save your ass, no amount of potent offense is going to save you.It is a basic law of warfare....from combat.... to chess..that you MUST hold the center at all cost.

Want proof of how no offense can save you when you don't hold the center?

The Patsy's, who had gone 17-0, broken the league TD record, one of the most high powered offenses, if not the most high powered offense, were unable to hold the center of the line against the Giants, and the Giants brought pressure right up the middle. This is the bottom line, reality of how that team was beat in the big show....they couldn't hold the center, and the Giants were able to bring pressure right up the middle. Because the Giants were able to gain the center, eventually they gained the flanks as well. The Patsy's had an EXTREMELY high powered offense, and they couldn't overcome it, they were getting it from all directions....simply because they failed to hold the center.

lol

Yes. He missed that point I made about the pass protection sucking regardless if it was max protect, or VD staying in.

When defenses can get pressure up the middle, your done. Nothing will save your ass, no amount of deep ball is goint to save your ass, no amount of potent offense is going to save you.It is a basic law of warfare....from combat.... to chess..that you MUST hold the center at all cost.

The Patsy's, who had gone 17-0, broken the league TD record, one of the most high powered offenses, if not the most high powered offense, were unable to hold the center of the line against the Giants, and the Giants brought pressure right up the middle. This is the bottom line, reality of how that team was beat in the big show....they couldn't hold the center, and the Giants were able to bring pressure right up the middle. Because the Giants were able to gain the center, eventually they gained the flanks as well. The Patsy's had an EXTREMELY high powered offense, and they couldn't overcome it, they were getting it from all directions....simply because they failed to hold the center.

And that's the QBs fault how? That is a failure on Raye's part. We've all seen teams running like crazy right through the line, yet Raye continue's to call runs right up the gut. Then on 3rd down, Raye gets a little crazy and calls a screen, A f**kING SCREEN! The last game we ran how many screens? 8, 10?
That goes for the whole season, not just the last game.

How about an off tackle, sweep, or pitch? What about a bootleg with a moving pocket? How about a quick hitch, corner, or slant? SOMETHING!
It's crazy to keep calling the same plays over and over in hopes that it'll finally work.

lol

Bingo. This is why Rachal is being benched.

Bad things happen when you don't hold the middle -- Ex: Smith crushed by Rocky Bernard.

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I don't know which player it was but they said

"The reason that we didn't do well at all during those plays, is that we didn't practice those"

Is Raye this stubborn not to practice the deep ball? No wonder Hill looks so lost out there on deep routes, if you don't practice them how are you supposed to connect with your receivers?

Why practice something your QB can't do? It's kind of like sending a single Man to the maternity ward to have a baby. So why do it and did this REALLY need its own thread?

~Ceadder
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

lol

Bingo. This is why Rachal is being benched.

Bad things happen when you don't hold the middle -- Ex: Smith crushed by Rocky Bernard.

Yes. Good example you brought up. Like all warfare, once the center collapses it's quick and brutal, and pretty devastating. Your done. It's not like getting it from the flanks, where you just kinda get picked apart here and there until your done. Nope, it's an onslaught, it's quick and it's bad.
  • JMPNINER
  • Info N/A
I'm sure we practiced the deep routes. Raye was probably asleep.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JMPNINER:

Hopefully we practice deep routes for the Houston game, because Shaub had 371 yards passing against Arizona. We're going to have to put up points to beat Houston in their own house.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by JMPNINER:

Hopefully we practice deep routes for the Houston game, because Shaub had 371 yards passing against Arizona. We're going to have to put up points to beat Houston in their own house.

Yep. I'm scared of what Andre J. is going to do to us
Share 49ersWebzone