There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Heard on KNBR on why we looked lost on the deep ball

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Our team is not capable of throwing the long ball. Therefore they don't practice it.

Hill led the league last year in 20+ yard passes after he took over, not every ball has to be a 60 yard bomb.

You got a link for that stat because i have a hard time believing that he did better than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers.

-9fA

let me find it for you

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

He only started 8 games and he's at 27 passes of 20+ yards so at that rate he would have 49! One more over Peyton Manning....now I'm not saying he would have done it BUT to have 27 passes of 20 yards (only started 8 games) or more is impressive if you ask me and it shows he can do it.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 13, 2009 at 15:01:08 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Our team is not capable of throwing the long ball. Therefore they don't practice it.

Hill led the league last year in 20+ yard passes after he took over, not every ball has to be a 60 yard bomb.

You got a link for that stat because i have a hard time believing that he did better than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers.

-9fA

let me find it for you

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

He only started 8 games and he's at 27 passes of 20+ yards so at that rate he would have 49! One more over Peyton Manning....now I'm not saying he would have done it BUT to have 27 passes of 20 yards (only started 8 games) or more is impressive if you ask me and it shows he can do it.

Two words: Mike Martz.
Thanks for those stats Birdman ^^

While the stats don't lie, i still have a hard time believing them.

-9fA
Originally posted by B650:

-9fA

let me find it for you

Well that's a big part of the reason, I don't want Raye to go all pass happy but I don't understand why he doesn't trust Hill to go down the field more, obviously he can do it.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 13, 2009 at 15:06:06 ]

-9fA

Yeah I wouldn't have believed it myself if someone told me that

-9fA

let me find it for you

Which points to the real problem with the offense: Jimmy Raye.

How Sing could possibly believe this is an upgrade is beyond me. He never should have let Martz go, especially with no backup plan.
  • NonComposMentis
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
has anyone thought that we have a higher pass percentage based no the fact that towards the end of the game, all we are doing is trying to play catch up? I want to see what the run:pass percentage is for the first quarter, second quarter, third and fourth

No. We've only tried to play catch up twice this season. Other than that we've had 4th quarter leads or blown 4th quarter leads.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

-9fA

let me find it for you

How Sing could possibly believe this is an upgrade is beyond me. He never should have let Martz go, especially with no backup plan.

I actually believed that Sing and Martz were perfect for eachother. One wants to run it all the time. The other wants to pass it. You end up with a 50/50 split which is how an offense should be run.

-9fA

Why? Didn't people watch games last year? Had he played a full year, even under Martz's pared down version, he would have been top 5 in the league in yards. That's impressive.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

-9fA

let me find it for you

I actually believed that Sing and Martz were perfect for eachother. One wants to run it all the time. The other wants to pass it. You end up with a 50/50 split which is how an offense should be run.

Too true. I miss Martz
Originally posted by NCommand:

-9fA

Why? Didn't people watch games last year? Had he played a full year, even under Martz's pared down version, he would have been top 5 in the league in yards. That's impressive.

The thoughts of JTO clouded my memory from last year
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by singfan:
I don't know which player it was but they said

"The reason that we didn't do well at all during those plays, is that we didn't practice those"

Is Raye this stubborn not to practice the deep ball? No wonder Hill looks so lost out there on deep routes, if you don't practice them how are you supposed to connect with your receivers?

This is not the philosophy of our HC. We're going to run, even when they know we're going to run, remember?

So when we were winning, you were nowhere to be found, but the minute we lose a bad one you come crawling out of the woodworks....quite shocking...

You mean out from under some bridge, don't you?

haHa

"The reason that we didn't do well at all during those plays, is that we didn't practice those"

Is Raye this stubborn not to practice the deep ball? No wonder Hill looks so lost out there on deep routes, if you don't practice them how are you supposed to connect with your receivers?

This is not the philosophy of our HC. We're going to run, even when they know we're going to run, remember?

Yeah! That why we kept so many RBs on the roster!
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by King49er:

So when we were winning, you were nowhere to be found, but the minute we lose a bad one you come crawling out of the woodworks....quite shocking...

You mean out from under some bridge, don't you?

haHa

Shouldn't practicing the long ball make the short ball easier?

Just a thought...
  • B650
  • Veteran

-9fA

let me find it for you

Who the f**k doesn't practice deep routes? Are you kidding me? This is the same guy who falls asleep during meetings? Didn't he realize that there was a strong possibility that Atlanta might build a lead against us and we might need to pass the ball? Or should we be so stubborn that we run the ball even if we're 35 points down? I'm tired of this. On top of that, Sheets just signed with Miami. We're letting talent go because he doesn't fit in Raye's scheme? Who the f**k is Raye? I want him out of here ASAP. I'd rather keep Hill starter and get rid of Raye than keep Raye and start Smith. As it is now, Hill and Raye is NOT working and my guess is that it'll never work. We lost all our momentum when we fired Martz. What a stupid decision. If we lose in Houston, I think all hope is lost.,
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home