There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sing Says "We Were Out-smarted ..... "

This is a quote from Singletary when interviewed right after the game....

This is interesting because Singletary has said "we not trying to out-smart anyone...." when it came to offense. The basic approach to the offense and defense doesn't seem to have worked.

Do you think the 49er reconsider their overall approach to the game? Singletary also said:

"We all have work to do... the players AND the coaches..."

Is that a veiled criticism of his coaching staff? Do we need to start "out-smarting" opponents? Do we need to do more than just play "basic football" and hope the opponent makes a mistake?

Your thoughts....

[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 12, 2009 at 18:24:47 ]
I remember when the Niners use to "out-smart" people on a regular basis. Sadly, you have to bit of an old-timer to remember it now.
We need to get more creative with the play calling. We hardly ever run outside it is ridiculous. I hope they realize we can't be a running team with that line. Changes need to be made.
Originally posted by teeohh:
We need to get more creative with the play calling. We hardly ever run outside it is ridiculous. I hope they realize we can't be a running team with that line. Changes need to be made.

I scream for running plays to the outside every sunday, but I get no where with it.

I remember a couple games ago, the commentators were talking about how Coffee would bounce it outside and Raye ripped into him - only up the middle rook. Yesterday they were talking about how, no matter what, he only goes up the gut.

But back to the point. When was the last time ANY Niner coach out-coached an opponent? Turner up in Seattle years ago with Alex Smith's naked bootleg for a TD to ice the game? Seriously...
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Coach said he wants to punch them in the mouth and play physical which is great but we have to mix it up or other teams will just outsmart us. The defense was just outplayed and the offense needs to open it up. However, other teams are going to force Shaun to beat us and I don't think he's that type of QB. He can manage a game great but he's not the type of QB to win the big games.
Sing is literally admitting to the fact that his method/system does not work with the overall talent we're dealing with here! -And that the offensive coordinator is a complete jackass!

What took Sing so long to realize this? Well thank god this 'reality' game happened now, than later.
We have a very inexperienced HC, who still has a lot to learn. Seems to me he is bright, open and willing to do anything to win. That's good! But on the other hand, he hired Jimmy Raye, who is never going to outsmart anybody. It's too late to change OC now.
Here's the thing, Sing wants to be a running team but we don't have the line to do it YET. Maybe Rachal gets benched and Wragge makes a world of difference but if that doesn't work we need to figure something out. It's kind of like Nolan and the defense, trying to stick with the philosophy when you don't have the players to do it. There definitely needs to be more creativity and less stubbornness to run up the gut for 1 yard.
I wonder if Sing regrets hiring Raye.
Originally posted by 190836:

Look for Tollner to add "an extra pair of eyes" by about game eleven.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by 190836:

Look for Tollner to add "an extra pair of eyes" by about game eleven.

Isn't he with the Raiders?
I'm a little worried to hear about Hill and Smith doing extra research on the Falcons, only to have the coaches totally disregard it.

You know they didn't have the balls to tell the coaches "told ya so"

[ Edited by AKfanster on Oct 13, 2009 at 00:57:07 ]
So do you think we'll go Redskins style and hire a veteran offensive consultant?
  • Imfasterrthanurr
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NCommand:

I remember a couple games ago, the commentators were talking about how Coffee would bounce it outside and Raye ripped into him - only up the middle rook. Yesterday they were talking about how, no matter what, he only goes up the gut.

But back to the point. When was the last time ANY Niner coach out-coached an opponent? Turner up in Seattle years ago with Alex Smith's naked bootleg for a TD to ice the game? Seriously...

The last time we outsmarted (better gameplan) an opponent was last year against the New-York Jets. Mike Martz' gameplan was very sound. Unfortunately, he a bit too inconsistent. But hey, would kill for that kind of production with the defense we have now.

I've always pressed on the fact that Mike Martz' polar style complemented Coach Singletary's vision -- I genuinely feel that they would have balanced each other out. Easy to say that now though, time will tell. I guess

[ Edited by Imfasterrthanurr on Oct 12, 2009 at 19:11:23 ]