LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Replacing Lewis/Ulbrich

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Two perspectives, one short term, one long term (beyond the 2009 season).

Both of these guys (Lewis and Ulbrich) may well be done with their pro football careers.

SS position - short term - Lewis goes to game day inactive list. Roman gets the starting SS job. Smith always seems to be injured at the wrong times, missing out on prime opportunities for increased PT, like now. If Smith can get healthy within 2 weeks, he backs-up Roman. If Smith is not healthy, look for Hudson to be Roman's back-up. Taylor is simply too green to be trusted as a SS, but might replace Lewis on the game day active 45 as a ST player. If Lewis goes to the IR, look for the club to bring in an experienced SS type as additional back-up help and ST play.

SS position - long term - Day 1 pick or FA signing.

Ulbrich position - short term - Ulbrich to game day inactiive list, relaced on ST by the now-activated Taylor. If Ulbrich to IR, then call-up Briggs from the PS to fulfill Ulbrich's ST responsibilities and to provide inside LB depth.. The club must immediately replace the valuable Ulbrich on the kick coverage teams.

Ulbrich position - long term - probably a mid/late round pick or possibly FA signing.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Oct 12, 2009 at 16:05:40 ]
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Roman will do just fine at SS. The problem is what if another Safety goes down.

Dude ! What the hell are you smoking?

Roman can't tackle and can't cover the two main repsonisbilities of the SS. So how is Roman fine?

Roman may not have been on this team if it wasn't for Lewis's concussion problems.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Both injuries are big. Ulbrich wis important n our special teams unit. Lewis is the bigger problem though. He will probably be forced to retire like Steve young due to his concussions. I hate Roman but unfortunately I think we will see a return to the lineup by him. If this doesn't make them think about going after Taylor Mays or Eric Berry in next year's draft I don't know what will. I doubt we do anything this year to replace either of them by way of a trade for a proven player.

I mentioned moving Goldson to Strong Safety and starting Reggie Smith at Free Safety in preseason when Lewis got the concussion but until Smith is all healed up that is not gonna even be a thought.

Jason hill will probably replace Ulbrich's place on ST but only in position. Its gonna be tough to replace his leadership there.

I like the idea of moving Goldston to SS and playing R.Smith, shouldn't Smith be ok after the bye? I haven't heard anything on his injury in a while. Ulbrich sucks not sure why he made the roster, J.Hill will be fine in his spot on ST remember that punt he chased down yesterday?

No, moving a young guy who is just getting experince at one posistion like Goldson and moving him to another posistion is not a good idea. Were stuck with Roman at SS for now, esspecially with Reggie Smith getting hurt, that was another setback for him. I like Curtis Taylor but he is raw and at least a year away.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Both injuries are big. Ulbrich wis important n our special teams unit. Lewis is the bigger problem though. He will probably be forced to retire like Steve young due to his concussions. I hate Roman but unfortunately I think we will see a return to the lineup by him. If this doesn't make them think about going after Taylor Mays or Eric Berry in next year's draft I don't know what will. I doubt we do anything this year to replace either of them by way of a trade for a proven player.

I mentioned moving Goldson to Strong Safety and starting Reggie Smith at Free Safety in preseason when Lewis got the concussion but until Smith is all healed up that is not gonna even be a thought.

Jason hill will probably replace Ulbrich's place on ST but only in position. Its gonna be tough to replace his leadership there.

I like the idea of moving Goldston to SS and playing R.Smith, shouldn't Smith be ok after the bye? I haven't heard anything on his injury in a while. Ulbrich sucks not sure why he made the roster, J.Hill will be fine in his spot on ST remember that punt he chased down yesterday?

No, moving a young guy who is just getting experince at one posistion like Goldson and moving him to another posistion is not a good idea. Were stuck with Roman at SS for now, esspecially with Reggie Smith getting hurt, that was another setback for him. I like Curtis Taylor but he is raw and at least a year away.

Good point about moving Goldston....but anything to keep Roman out God I hate ROman!
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Is Ahmad Brooks on special teams unit? He would do a good job.
play Reggie Smith
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
play Reggie Smith

Guy can't stay healthy
assuming both are going to be out either the rest of the year or at least an extended period of time what moves should the 9ers make to replace them?

I do not think we even need to address Ulbrich's absence we are fine at LB w/o him but will miss him on ST. If the coaches feel we need a LB I think we need to give Derrik Brooks a call, he's not what he used to be but I can't imagine him not being an improvement over Ulbrich.

The Lewis injury is huge, Lewis may not be a superstar but he is a very solid S in this league and will not be easy to replace. Internally we do not have much just Roman and R.Smith (who probably isn't ready for a starting role yet) I think we need to try and go out and get somebody here.

Reggie Smith is the back up to Kevin Lewis so he starts if healthy.He looked good in preseason so lets see what he can do in a real game.
reggie smith at FS (guy can make plays) and goldson at SS

two injury prone S we defenitally need mays or berry which ever one falls to us
Originally posted by Super5:
assuming both are going to be out either the rest of the year or at least an extended period of time what moves should the 9ers make to replace them?

I do not think we even need to address Ulbrich's absence we are fine at LB w/o him but will miss him on ST. If the coaches feel we need a LB I think we need to give Derrik Brooks a call, he's not what he used to be but I can't imagine him not being an improvement over Ulbrich.

The Lewis injury is huge, Lewis may not be a superstar but he is a very solid S in this league and will not be easy to replace. Internally we do not have much just Roman and R.Smith (who probably isn't ready for a starting role yet) I think we need to try and go out and get somebody here.

Reggie Smith is the back up to Kevin Lewis so he starts if healthy.He looked good in preseason so lets see what he can do in a real game.

Kevin Lewis? Smith looked okay in the pre-season, he made a nice INT and made some nice plays but he also got run over on a few plays and missed some assignments. Also the guy can't stay healthy and has missed what the last 2 or 3 weeks, so he countinues to be behind. It's going to be Roman at SS so get used to it people.

Originally posted by Gavintech:
Roman will do just fine at SS. The problem is what if another Safety goes down.

Dude ! What the hell are you smoking?

Roman can't tackle and can't cover the two main repsonisbilities of the SS. So how is Roman fine?

Roman may not have been on this team if it wasn't for Lewis's concussion problems.

i agree E-49ers. what the heck that Gavintech said, roman will do just fine at SS?? i am like what??? damn ur retard with ur own eyes dude.. Roman is F**k up stink!! I hate Roman and maybe Goldson too anyway..
Roman better remain a back up
kinda wish we still had killa keith now
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Draft Taylor Mays next year and we'll be set. As far as right now, I don't know about relying on Mark Roman. That's kind of sketchy

Rather have Tennessee's Eric Berry, he is a stud.

What happened to Ulbrich? I didnt see any articles.
Share 49ersWebzone