There are 199 users in the forums

Replacing Lewis/Ulbrich

Shop Find 49ers gear online
assuming both are going to be out either the rest of the year or at least an extended period of time what moves should the 9ers make to replace them?

I do not think we even need to address Ulbrich's absence we are fine at LB w/o him but will miss him on ST. If the coaches feel we need a LB I think we need to give Derrik Brooks a call, he's not what he used to be but I can't imagine him not being an improvement over Ulbrich.

The Lewis injury is huge, Lewis may not be a superstar but he is a very solid S in this league and will not be easy to replace. Internally we do not have much just Roman and R.Smith (who probably isn't ready for a starting role yet) I think we need to try and go out and get somebody here.
Draft Taylor Mays next year and we'll be set. As far as right now, I don't know about relying on Mark Roman. That's kind of sketchy
i think right now move goldson to ss & roman to fs. yes draft mays or berry next yr
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Draft Taylor Mays next year and we'll be set. As far as right now, I don't know about relying on Mark Roman. That's kind of sketchy

Rather have Tennessee's Eric Berry, he is a stud.
Justin Roland. Oh thats right, never mind.
that's all great for next year but we're barely into this year. what can we do about it this year? this is the week to make the move(s) during the bye, we need to find upgrades over Roman/R.Smith now.
Both injuries are big. Ulbrich wis important n our special teams unit. Lewis is the bigger problem though. He will probably be forced to retire like Steve young due to his concussions. I hate Roman but unfortunately I think we will see a return to the lineup by him. If this doesn't make them think about going after Taylor Mays or Eric Berry in next year's draft I don't know what will. I doubt we do anything this year to replace either of them by way of a trade for a proven player.

I mentioned moving Goldson to Strong Safety and starting Reggie Smith at Free Safety in preseason when Lewis got the concussion but until Smith is all healed up that is not gonna even be a thought.

Jason hill will probably replace Ulbrich's place on ST but only in position. Its gonna be tough to replace his leadership there.
Derrick Brooks would not be a good fit at all. He played his entire career in a totally different defense than the one that we run. Besides Ulbrich is only a special teamer at this point and we wouldn't need a guy with Brooks' pedigree to play ST.
Roman will do just fine at SS. The problem is what if another Safety goes down.
The coaching staff has some work to do over the next few weeks

Originally posted by E-49er:
Both injuries are big. Ulbrich wis important n our special teams unit. Lewis is the bigger problem though. He will probably be forced to retire like Steve young due to his concussions. I hate Roman but unfortunately I think we will see a return to the lineup by him. If this doesn't make them think about going after Taylor Mays or Eric Berry in next year's draft I don't know what will. I doubt we do anything this year to replace either of them by way of a trade for a proven player.

I mentioned moving Goldson to Strong Safety and starting Reggie Smith at Free Safety in preseason when Lewis got the concussion but until Smith is all healed up that is not gonna even be a thought.

Jason hill will probably replace Ulbrich's place on ST but only in position. Its gonna be tough to replace his leadership there.

I like the idea of moving Goldston to SS and playing R.Smith, shouldn't Smith be ok after the bye? I haven't heard anything on his injury in a while. Ulbrich sucks not sure why he made the roster, J.Hill will be fine in his spot on ST remember that punt he chased down yesterday?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

the 49ers have to do everything in their power to get this man E. Berry. he is playing in NFL style D. He's head-and-shoulders above T.Mays. Carolina has too continue loosing this season for us to have a shot at E.Berry.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
If we loose Lewis it would be a major blow. He was playing great so far this season with his blitz's, run support and overall coverage.

Roman hasn't played as bad at SS because he has less ground to cover. Hopefully Reggie Smith can get healthy in-case Roman starts to stink it up.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

the 49ers have to do everything in their power to get this man E. Berry. he is playing in NFL style D. He's head-and-shoulders above T.Mays. Carolina has too continue loosing this season for us to have a shot at E.Berry.

that man will wreak havoc on the other team
we neeed him
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by E-49er:

I like the idea of moving Goldston to SS and playing R.Smith, shouldn't Smith be ok after the bye? I haven't heard anything on his injury in a while. Ulbrich sucks not sure why he made the roster, J.Hill will be fine in his spot on ST remember that punt he chased down yesterday?

Hopefully he is ok after the bye but this coaching staff is building a reputation to work players back into starting lineups slowily rather than just putting them out there when they are cleared to play. We are gonna have to sign someone to play Safety as other than Smith we just have Mark roman and curtis Taylor back there.

Don't underestimate Ulbrich, he is an extremely smart player and was a force on special teams. That said I agree that J. Hill will be fine taking his place.
Share 49ersWebzone