There are 199 users in the forums

I know 99% of the Zone hate Lynch but this is worth reading RE:oFfense (UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Talking about the switch in schemes made by the Falcons D he writes:

Quote:
Part of the switch in tactics included playing a five-man, two-linebacker, four-linemen defense against the 49ers predominate use of their twin tight-end offense. The 49ers never seemed to get comfortable with that adjustment, particularly tight end Vernon Davis, who reverted back to his old ways of tentative route running.

The one not startled by the switch was quarterback Shaun Hill. Like a couple of research nerds in white lab coats, Hill and fellow quarterback Alex Smith scoured video from the 2008 Falcons searching for changes the Falcons might adopt during their bye week. They discovered that Atlanta at times blitzed and played man coverage last season, and Hill and Smith figured they would try it again.

The problem is Hill knew it, but the rest of his offense didn't and a quarterback can only do so much if the rest of his offense was unprepared.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=49389#ixzz0TkljNbSf

So WTF is that? The 2 QBs knew about that but the rest of the O didn't?? I honestly don't know what to make of that.

UPDATE: He wrote a new column mentionis the same thing:

Quote:
PREPARATION: Singletary blamed himself and his coaching staff for not preparing the team. While Shaun Hill and Alex Smith did additional research on the Falcons coming out of the bye, the coaches should have done the same thing. Then, maybe, they would have seen that Atlanta has the capacity to blitz and play man coverage with lots of blitzes.

With the 49ers strong run emphasis, teams are apt to change their defensive approach. The Vikings were predominantly a cover 2 team but against the 49ers they went with eight men in the box and played more man coverage.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=49423#ixzz0TlIJGuOP

[ Edited by Brazilian49er on Oct 12, 2009 at 15:09:09 ]
Yeah sounds about right. We were outschemed if that's a word. Couple that with the speed of their defense we came up flat.
^^^^if true, coaching FAIL.

raye was too busy sleeping to notice.
Sad thing is if Hill knew before the game he shouldn't of been misreading coverages like he was, he was bad.
Like coach Singletary said, we were outsmarted, plain & simple.

Am I wrong or is he implying that Hill had a bad day because he was the only one ready and everyone else wasn't?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Am I wrong or is he implying that Hill had a bad day because he was the only one ready and everyone else wasn't?

I don't know about you, but if I'm the QB and I know something, I think I'd probably share it with my teammates.

Not necessarily. He is implying that, if the rest of the offense came as prepared as Hill, they could have put up a better performance.

If that is what they are trying to do that is laughable at best - bad schemes don't make you throw behind receivers on stop n go routes or throw balls that are going end over end and look more like a punt...
If the Falcons were doing something different on defense, it's up to the OFFENSIVE coordinator to recognize it and make the necessary adjustments.

The same holds true for the Defensive Coordinator. Matt Ryan threw for over 300 yds and both Turner and White had a field day running and catching passes.

The Defense COULDN'T stop anybody yesterday!

Those that want to blame Hill, STOP already! It would have taken a Joe Montana or a Steve Young and a Jerry Rice to match the Falcons offensive output yesterday, and then the outcome would have still been in question since the (49er's) Defense couldn't stop anybody.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 12, 2009 at 13:27:56 ]
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Sad thing is if Hill knew before the game he shouldn't of been misreading coverages like he was, he was bad.

what? most of the coverages the WR/TE didn't even turn around for the ball, did you watch the game?
Originally posted by B650:

I don't know about you, but if I'm the QB and I know something, I think I'd probably share it with my teammates.

That's the whole mistery to me. Did they tell their teamates? More important, did they tell their OC? Or did they keep the info to themselves (why would they do that)?

Of course he is. Lynch reminds me of those ladies that scrubbed Eddie Murphy in coming to America. The royal balls are clean mr. Hill. I don't even read lynch's articles anymore. Matt M gave us the grades we deserved. Simple as that.
Share 49ersWebzone