A Fun Two Weeks of Competition Across the Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by king32:
From Mindi Bach's Twitter:

"From 49ers; Gore, Crabtree & Alex Smith will stay during the bye week to work on offense"

Somebody may have already noted this. Couldn't find it anywhere though. I would think Shaun Hill should stay during the bye as well and build some chemistry with Crab.

Link

Whoa, Alex Smith? Why not Shaun Hill? Wouldn't the starter need more chemistry?

Still, the fact that these players want to stay back and work with Crabtree says volumes.

We got two weeks to fix this thing and this is a solid start!

Come back after the bye week with Alex at QB, Frank the Tank as RB and finally Crabtree and Jones at WR's.. Now that's change I can live with..

I am DaveWilcox and I approve of this message.

Duck training is next week. For now, they're going to have Crabtree work on catching spirals.
Shouldn't our WRs work on catching punts?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It would be smart to at least keep an eye the QB situation. Hill looks to be getting progressively worse. Many here fail to remember that he has NEVER started a complete NFL season, and you know what?

I expect that to still be the case at the end of this year.

Hill is going to get stuck on the sideline due to one of two possible reasons:

1) Plays so poorly that we have to bench him to allow another QB to spark the offense.

2) Our OL continues to play horrendous and Hill gets blasted and injured, leading to Alex starting.

If my memory serves right you predicted that in the preseason...not sure which thread it was in. But I agreed with you then and still have the same feelings now. Smith will get 1 more opportunity to show what he has this year, if he fails, he is gone.

Actually I think you said Hill would be pulled after the bye..?

I did state many times that Alex was only a play away from starting, and that I also wouldn't be surprised to see him start if Hill wasn't playing well enough and they felt that Alex was ready and "where he needed to be" (A Singletary phrase I've been hearing often regarding players) in the offense.

Fans are getting impatient. I know I am. I want to see Hill do ANYthing noteworthy. I'm not talking about one single drive per game. It's not like Alex can't do that. See: Houston, Denver, Arizona, Rams game-winning drives.
It would be smart to at least keep an eye the QB situation. Hill looks to be getting progressively worse. Many here fail to remember that he has NEVER started a complete NFL season, and you know what?

1) Plays so poorly that we have to bench him to allow another QB to spark the offense.

2) Our OL continues to play horrendous and Hill gets blasted and injured, leading to Alex starting.

If my memory serves right you predicted that in the preseason...not sure which thread it was in. But I agreed with you then and still have the same feelings now. Smith will get 1 more opportunity to show what he has this year, if he fails, he is gone.

I did state many times that Alex was only a play away from starting, and that I also wouldn't be surprised to see him start if Hill wasn't playing well enough and they felt that Alex was ready and "where he needed to be" (A Singletary phrase I've been hearing often regarding players) in the offense.

Fans are getting impatient. I know I am. I want to see Hill do ANYthing noteworthy. I'm not talking about one single drive per game. It's not like Alex can't do that. See: Houston, Denver, Arizona, Rams game-winning drives.

Thats actually a really good point. If they both are producing about the same (one drive a game), why not play the guy who is younger, bigger arm and your 1st round draft pick? I know we all aplauded Hill's accuracy, but its not like he has been hitting guys in stride. I haven't seen a ton of runs after the catch. In this type of offense I doubt Smith could do much worst and may even do better as it was reported the deep ball was Smith's strenght all through camp.
I'm starting to wonder if there is anything in Alex Boone.

The guy has kept his nose clean and with the troubles were having I have to wonder can't him or Wallace knock the 7th string receiver off the roster? Drop spurlock and put him on the PS, bring up Boone. This lets us put Pashos in at RT, slide snider over, and have a backup.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I just hope in these two weeks, that we're able to fix a lot of the problems that we're having, just like Atlanta was able to fix their problems during their bye.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Thats actually a really good point. If they both are producing about the same (one drive a game), why not play the guy who is younger, bigger arm and your 1st round draft pick? I know we all aplauded Hill's accuracy, but its not like he has been hitting guys in stride. I haven't seen a ton of runs after the catch. In this type of offense I doubt Smith could do much worst and may even do better as it was reported the deep ball was Smith's strenght all through camp.

Yes, thank you OnTheClock... I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice. Alex can engineer the same game-winning drives that Hill can, and besides that, what has Hill shown? To be fair though, the pass protection is god awful, and I'm questioning whether ANY QB can really succeed like that (which would explain a possible drop-off in Hill's performance). Another key factor would be the play-calling.

Obviously it would be foolish to yank Hill after just one bad game (even though he had multiple IMO). Alex's "second chance" seems to be looming on the horizon, though.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
I would certainly like to see a shake up at the WR position, I'm just not sure it's actually going to happen.

Although like you MD, I feel Bruce's best days are behind him, I think because he is a veteran, and future HOFer, Sing is going to keep him in the starting two because he senses the team has a shot at the playoffs, if they don't make too many mistakes.

Throw in the fact that Crabtree will become the slot reciever almost automatically, and I just don't know where the extra reps for Jones, Hill, or Battle are going to come from.

That being said, if Jones can't break in to the top two of Morgan and Bruce this year while Crabtree plays out of the slot, why did we throw that kind of contract at him?

I sure hope you are right, and that Sing will allow some competition there. What Bruce has done in the past, is not helping us now. *sigh*

As for the line... I think that's the biggest area of concern, by far.

I actually like your idea of moving Snyder inside, if Pashos can nail down the RT position. I also agree that regardless of who plays RG, Rachal needs a break. He is still young, so we don't have to give up on him. However, this may be the right time to let him head to the sidelines and let the game slow down for him a little.

Agreed Pashos at RT, Snyder at RG but I think Hill is the for sure starter the whole year and throughout, Smith already had his chance. Morgan should be opposite Jones and Crabtree and Bruce on the field often...at Least Jones will stretch the field.
MD...perfect analysis, couldn't agree more. Yeah, I think Singletary will show absolutely no mercy...on his players, his coaches, himself. It's the right thing to do after last Sunday. I knew he'd blow up...I'm not really concerned he did, shoot, I'd expect him to. What's more important, though, is to learn some good lessons from it. He needs to demand more from Jimmy Raye...his OL, his QB, his RB, his WR's...well, you see where I'm going with that.

Not as concerned about the defense...they've played exceptionally well save their last game. They just need to get back to the basics...getting after the QB, stopping the run, and tackling well, all things they did the first four games. They're going to be facing some of the best QB-WR combos in the coming weeks...they simply can't afford any kind of letdown. That's another good reason for the offense to step up their game a lot...to give the defense a break by sustaining drives and putting points on the board, all the while taking good care of the football.

ST's also has some work to do...I think Walker can do a good job returning KO's...he just needs to secure the football. Ditto Battle...he was once a very good punt returner, just needs to get back in that groove. Both guys have the ability to be good...they'll just have to establish some consistency.
Looks like Smith is getting some of those first team reps. It may be to give him a shot during this bye week, or simply prepare him for game action in case Hill struggles against the Texans.

"From 49ers; Gore, Crabtree & Alex Smith will stay during the bye week to work on offense"

Somebody may have already noted this. Couldn't find it anywhere though. I would think Shaun Hill should stay during the bye as well and build some chemistry with Crab.

Link

Still, the fact that these players want to stay back and work with Crabtree says volumes.

Come back after the bye week with Alex at QB, Frank the Tank as RB and finally Crabtree and Jones at WR's.. Now that's change I can live with..

Diffenatly not voting for you !
MD, what do you think will happen with our safeties?
Originally posted by Reckless:

I think it is Goldson and Roman, until Lewis returns.

However, if Lewis is going to have continual problems with concussions, the team is going to have to look at the draft to find a replacement. The only other option would be to try Reggie Smith at the SS position, and see how he pans out.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Reckless:

I think it is Goldson and Roman, until Lewis returns.

However, if Lewis is going to have continual problems with concussions, the team is going to have to look at the draft to find a replacement. The only other option would be to try Reggie Smith at the SS position, and see how he pans out.

This would be preferable.
Originally posted by B650:

Link

Duck training is next week. For now, they're going to have Crabtree work on catching spirals.

Hm, when you put that way, this could actually work against Crabtree's development. If he works with a qb that can throw a spiral and then has to go in-game with a qb that throw's bird-killers then he won't be able to adjust.
Share 49ersWebzone