This is not a doom and gloom post. What happened yesterday does not spell the end of the season and it doe snot represent what the niners are this year.
However, through 5 games there have been a few patterns.
1) O-Line. I don't know whats up with this one. I actually like the players, so I dunno if I'm just wrong about the talent, If its something that can be fixed with existing personell, or if its a scheme issue. They seem to have trouble in BOTH pass protection and in run blocking. For this team to improve, this is the #1 unit that needs to improve.
2) Coffee. I dunno if its just because he's a rookie, or if he doesn't have the talent to make it, but even when the line makes a hole, Coffee seems unable to find it. It could be that he just lacks the field vision to find the hole or it could be that its all kinda to big for him now and he's playing timid. I'm not writing the guy off, not by a long shot, but SOMETHING isn't clicking with him.
3) WRs. This one may get a boost with Crabtree, but the WR core seems to have alot of trouble getting separation. Seeing Morgan get caught so easily from behind yesterday may explain why...he just doesn't seem all that quick in and out of his breaks and he doesn't have much speed. Bruce is showing his age.
4) Hill. He has been a big reason the team was ALMOST 4-0, but he has some problems that need to be addressed in the future. I like Hill and I'm not suggesting replacing him, but this team really needs to look at this position in the future. I like Nate Davis so maybe thats the future (and his best friend on the team is Crabtree...hmmm...), or maybe that means a guy not yet on the team, but I just don't see Hill as the long term answer. I'll love to see him stick tho and the #2.
5) Pass Rush. The 49ers have been able to manufacture a pass-rush through scheme, but at some point thats going to come back to haunt them...like it did yesterday. They still need a true big time pass-rusher.
None of these are earthshattering and aren't new, but if just a few of these could be resolved, this team really can contend. Even after yesterday, I think this is a playoff team...they just got kicked in the teeth.