LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 130 users in the forums

Matt Ryan carved us a new one

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crzy:
The way we played today on defense, even Jamarcus Russell would have carved us up.

Sad but true. With our defense today, any QB would look like a pro bowl QB.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
2nd year pro just destroyed us.

I remember in 1997 when a young Peyton Manning came strolling into town and dissected our secondary in his 2nd year. We barely staved him off because we had a legit QB in Steve Young to fire back with.

The difference between a franchise QB and our QB situation is like night and day. We all should just watch other teams' QB's like:

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Hell, there's only a handful of starting QB's I wouldn't trade Hill for:

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

That's about it. And I'll take any of these younger QB's like Stafford, Sanchez, J Johnson over noodle arm.

ofcourse the players in the 1st list are superior to Hill but it doesn't mean we can't be a very good team a playoff team under Hill. We do not currently have a better option A.Smith certaintly isn't better, N.Davis isn't ready if Hill cannot prove himself with Crabtree/Jones back the rest of this season then we need to look to draft a QB with one of our 1st or acquire a QB in the offseason.

I agree with your point. My rant is that our major obstacle for the future is QB. QB is THE NUMBER 1 PRIORITY in this offseason's draft. RT and guard comes in second and third.

[ Edited by kronik on Oct 11, 2009 at 22:50:29 ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I remember in 1997 when a young Peyton Manning came strolling into town and dissected our secondary in his 2nd year. We barely staved him off because we had a legit QB in Steve Young to fire back with.

The difference between a franchise QB and our QB situation is like night and day. We all should just watch other teams' QB's like:

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

That's about it. And I'll take any of these younger QB's like Stafford, Sanchez, J Johnson over noodle arm.

ofcourse the players in the 1st list are superior to Hill but it doesn't mean we can't be a very good team a playoff team under Hill. We do not currently have a better option A.Smith certaintly isn't better, N.Davis isn't ready if Hill cannot prove himself with Crabtree/Jones back the rest of this season then we need to look to draft a QB with one of our 1st or acquire a QB in the offseason.

I agree with your point. My rant is that our major obstacle for the future is QB. QB is THE NUMBER 1 PRIORITY in this offseason's draft. RT and guard comes in second and third.

QB is not our biggest priority...A different QB would not have changed the outcome of this game.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

QB is not our biggest priority...A different QB would not have changed the outcome of this game.

Yes it would have. First of all, there's a reason why Hill gets a lot of his passes batted in the air and it's because of his delivery. That led to the INT in the beginning of the game and set the mood for the rest of the day. Second of all, our WRs are open, but he can't get them the ball. Third of all, it would be much easier to run the ball if we had a good QB. Lastly, with our offensive line being so bad, we need a mobile QB out there until we can fix it. If Hill can't improve, someone else needs to be in there. Or something has to change on the OL. The way we played today is unacceptable. Seriously, something has to be done during this week. It only took one game for Singletary to yank O'Sullivan. Someone has to pay for this, because players have to know that you can't go out there and put up that kind of performance.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

Yes it would have. First of all, there's a reason why Hill gets a lot of his passes batted in the air and it's because of his delivery. That led to the INT in the beginning of the game and set the mood for the rest of the day. Second of all, our WRs are open, but he can't get them the ball. Third of all, it would be much easier to run the ball if we had a good QB. Lastly, with our offensive line being so bad, we need a mobile QB out there until we can fix it. If Hill can't improve, someone else needs to be in there. Or something has to change on the OL. The way we played today is unacceptable. Seriously, something has to be done during this week. It only took one game for Singletary to yank O'Sullivan. Someone has to pay for this, because players have to know that you can't go out there and put up that kind of performance.

That's because he sucked half a season. Hill hasn't been nearly JTO type bad and he's not going to get yanked going into a bye.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

I'm sorry but you must have watched a bizzaro version of this game because I saw a D that could have been lit for over 60 had atlanta decided to continue the onslot rather than running the clock at the midpoint of the 3rd Quarter. The QB had nothing to do with this loss.

Our Wr's are pretty bad too....worst group in our division maybe the NFC.
  • B650
  • Veteran

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

I'm sorry but you must have watched a bizzaro version of this game because I saw a D that could have been lit for over 60 had atlanta decided to continue the onslot rather than running the clock at the midpoint of the 3rd Quarter. The QB had nothing to do with this loss.

The defense played horribly, but if your offense is going three-and-out every single time, what do you expect? The defense is bound to snap one of these days, and today, it snapped.

Look at the SF Giants. They were in it all year, but the offense just couldn't score any runs. Eventually, even their best strength (pitching) started to go south. I know it's a different sport, but the bottom line is that offense and defense go hand-in-hand.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 11, 2009 at 23:21:57 ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

The defense played horribly, but if your offense is going three-and-out every single time, what do you expect? The defense is bound to snap one of these days, and today, it snapped.

Look at the SF Giants. They were in it all year, but the offense just couldn't score any runs. Eventually, even their best strength (pitching) started to go south. I know it's a different sport, but the bottom line is that offense and defense go hand-in-hand.

I think it has more to do with the philosophy of your HC. Ours appears to believes in ball control and strong defensive play to win games.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for B650.

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

I think it has more to do with the philosophy of your HC. Ours appears to believes in ball control and strong defensive play to win games.

Which is fine if you have a great offensive line, running back, and a QB who scares people.
Originally posted by NP9er:

Imagine what he'll do to us in 3 weeks

He'll only be on the field for about 20 minutes, and our Dashon is not Gibril Wilson so ie he won't give up 2 quick long TD's to start and end the game, though he/they could still beat us, but still Peyton isn't gonna beat us in to the ground or anything. Today we just didn't show up, minus P-52, but that's one outta 22 starters plus so, we just gotta re-group pour some cold water on our selves and get ready for Houston, who we should beat.

• jcs
  • Veteran

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

Which is fine if you have a great offensive line, running back, and a QB who scares people.

I agree with everything but the QB part...you have to think Bears of the 80's as a resource as to what I think Singletary wants from this team...and with that in mind all we need from hill is is best McMahon impression...which in 85 was 2,300 yards, 15 TD's, 11 picks and an 82% QB rating.
  • B650
  • Veteran

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

I agree with everything but the QB part...you have to think Bears of the 80's as a resource as to what I think Singletary wants from this team...and with that in mind all we need from hill is is best McMahon impression...which in 85 was 2,300 yards, 15 TD's, 11 picks and an 82% QB rating.

But we aren't (and never will be) the '85 Bears. It only makes sense that we should expect a little more than 15 TDs and 11 picks.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

P Manning
E Manning
Brees
Brady
Rivers
Ryan
McNabb
Rothelisberger
Warner
Favre
Rogers
Palmer

Delhomme
Collins
Bulger
Hasselbeck
Quinn/Anderson
Russell

But we aren't (and never will be) the '85 Bears. It only makes sense that we should expect a little more than 15 TDs and 11 picks.

I'm just saying it sounds like our HC wants to win with D and the run game. It doesn't seem like he'll change one day and turn into B.Walsh.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
....and... didnt even give us a reach a roun.....

HS coach used to tell the team that all the time.

"blah blah blah they (many expletives) and didn't even have the common courtesy to...."

What I've been wondering to myself is that there seems to be more of these early bloomers at QB than ever. Ryan in ATL, Flacco in BAL, Sanchez in NY, etc. or is it just me?

How do the coaches prepare these guys to operate their systems so quickly and comfortably? HOW COME WE HAVE NO SUCH LUCK?????

I swear, I wish there was a QB coaching for dummies or a boxed dvd set like baby can read or muzzy for this stuff. Still have hopes for Davis.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
....and... didnt even give us a reach a roun.....

HS coach used to tell the team that all the time.

"blah blah blah they (many expletives) and didn't even have the common courtesy to...."

What I've been wondering to myself is that there seems to be more of these early bloomers at QB than ever. Ryan in ATL, Flacco in BAL, Sanchez in NY, etc. or is it just me?

How do the coaches prepare these guys to operate their systems so quickly and comfortably? HOW COME WE HAVE NO SUCH LUCK?????

I swear, I wish there was a QB coaching for dummies or a boxed dvd set like baby can read or muzzy for this stuff. Still have hopes for Davis.

What are you talking about...we had not one but two HOF QB's play back to back over a 20+ year stretch. Not to mention the guys like Y.A. Tittle. Just be patient and be happy you're not a Bengals fan.
Share 49ersWebzone