There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

History aside, why Bruce over anyone?

play Brandon Jones!!!!
The move by the team will probably be to get Jones more involved with the offense. He was one of the stars of training camp before going down with his injury, and he's got a nice contract that will keep him here for awhile.

I'm not for advocating the release of Bruce at this point. He can be a big help in the development of Crabtree's game.

So, the move should be to insert Jones into the lineup as a starter, and have Bruce and Crabtree split reps as the third guy, until Crabtree learns more of the playbook, and gets up to football speed.

Meanwhile, Jason Hill isn't going anywhere on this depth chart, so I don't even know why his name is mentioned. He has a fair shot to be cut in the next week.

The future WR's for this team are: Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, a vet, and some rookie or developmental guy (more than likely some kid with return abilities) next year. The fourth and fifth WR's are not active participants in this offense anyways.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The move by the team will probably be to get Jones more involved with the offense. He was one of the stars of training camp before going down with his injury, and he's got a nice contract that will keep him here for awhile.

I'm not for advocating the release of Bruce at this point. He can be a big help in the development of Crabtree's game.

So, the move should be to insert Jones into the lineup as a starter, and have Bruce and Crabtree split reps as the third guy, until Crabtree learns more of the playbook, and gets up to football speed.

Meanwhile, Jason Hill isn't going anywhere on this depth chart, so I don't even know why his name is mentioned. He has a fair shot to be cut in the next week.

The future WR's for this team are: Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, a vet, and some rookie or developmental guy (more than likely some kid with return abilities) next year. The fourth and fifth WR's are not active participants in this offense anyways.

Well they have Chilo starting so I don't think they know what they are doing with the depth chart at various positions.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I think its sad how no one has realized why Bruce has all of a sudden looked like such a waste of space.

First of all he was never considered a burner, even when he was in his prime. I know he is way past it, but he was in the same position last year...and he looked fine to me, at least as a #2/3 even though he was our 1.

Has no one realized that he is being used in Raye's genius offense in the complete opposite ways that he should be used?

The only way Bruce can be used in this stage of his career, or pretty much the only way he was used in his entire career was to focus on his strength of route running. He runs the most pure routes i've seen in awhile, he excels at deep ins, outs, digs, smash routes etc, things a corner really cant guard if the route is run well, and the quarterback has the timing down( hill has no arm to complete a deep out, which is Bruce's strength).

He is constantly being sent on go routes on the sideline, NO SH*T HE ISNT GETTIGN SEPARATION. HE NEVER HAS BEEN GOOD AT THIS. HE CANT OUTRUN A 22 YR OLD CORNER, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S 40. Raye is so bad at utilizing this guys only strengths right now its sad. He then goes in motion, and runs crossing routes in front of linebackers only to get pushed off his route and again, be completely ineffective. How many times is Raye gonna send Bruce on a go route and have shaun hill loft it up (most of the time it comes down like a punt out of bounds). Bruce isnt cut out for going up over safeties and grabbing the ball.

Raye is probably thinking to himself what all of you in this thread are, WHY CANT HE BURN THE CORNER, WHY IS HE SO OLD, BLABLABLABLAH

Use him for what he can still do, which is run good routes. I dont know create timing for once in this god forsaken offense with a reciever and his quarterback like routes are supposed to be run, (oh wait, we did that once and Morgan broke a tackle and almost scored....NO WAY!!!!)

Yeah, the guy can run routes and teach Crabtree a little. If it's me, the first thing I'd do is cut Battle. Thank you for your time, but you gotta go. Next, I'd make Bruce a 3rd down WR. Have him use his precise routes on the other teams' 3rd defensive back. Then, I'd use Spurlock much more on go routes and screens. I'd start Hill and Morgan and have Crabtree be the 3rd WR. Brandon Jones would be the 4th WR and I'd see if he could work his way up and earn a starting role.

What I wouldn't do: use Hill only on special teams and run screens and go routes to Bruce. The 49ers coaches amaze me.

Thank goodness you're not the coach or OC.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Jerry Sullivan and our WR corp is a disgrace. Seriously, it is time to go in another direction. The thought of him getting anywhere near Crabtree has me worried. Has the man produced one decent WR for us in his time here? NOT A SINGLETARY ONE

As old as Bruce is I don't think any1 runs better routes on this team yet to bench him. And as far as Sullivan goes you wouldn't call Morgan a decent WR? 5th rd pick is doing good for himself in his 2nd season. But really I cant think of any true talent we have drafted up until Crabtree. I dont even have to go into the QB/O line situation we've had

And if the thought of him getting anywhere near Crabtree has you worried then I guess you never saw David Boston and Anquan Boldin while Sullivan was in AZ
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
Jerry Sullivan and our WR corp is a disgrace. Seriously, it is time to go in another direction. The thought of him getting anywhere near Crabtree has me worried. Has the man produced one decent WR for us in his time here? NOT A SINGLETARY ONE

Originally posted by redmanc07:

As old as Bruce is I don't think any1 runs better routes on this team yet to bench him. And as far as Sullivan goes you wouldn't call Morgan a decent WR? 5th rd pick is doing good for himself in his 2nd season. But really I cant think of any true talent we have drafted up until Crabtree. I dont even have to go into the QB/O line situation we've had

And if the thought of him getting anywhere near Crabtree has you worried then I guess you never saw David Boston and Anquan Boldin while Sullivan was in AZ

I agree with you for the most part bud DAMN Bruce seems to have had a ton of crucial drops this year

Bruce needs to sit. We have seen what he can do and its not much. Let him come in as 3rd or 4th receiver on passing downs as he can still be a possesion receiver.
Problem with playing Brandon Jones more is that his strengths don't correspond with our starting QB at all. IIRC, I heard a lot of good things from Jones in TC, but the guy was playing with Alex Smith and never Shaun Hill.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
This comes down to a coaching issue. And, I do agree about finding a new receivers coach. Bruce needs to be moved to the slot. He is still a mismatch in the slot position. You can't be running him on go routes and reverses. That is a coaching issue.