There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

History aside, why Bruce over anyone?

hill and battle/morgan should start. preferably battle, he never drops anything and always pulls through when we need him.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by matt49er:
I agree, no reason to cut Bruce as I believe he can still be a solid #3 WR but we cannot rely on him all game long anymore. I believe we need to start Morgan/B.Jones against Houston and make Bruce the #3 let Crabtree be the #4 until he proves himself and moves up the D.Chart
Why start Jones over Hill? Hill is very sure handed and came up big at the end of the season last year. Jones is coming of a real deal injury.

Jones has been back what 2 weeks now so he will be healthy for almost a month when we play the Texans. Jones was paid nice $ because he's fast, big and has alot of big play potential. Jones had a great TC, is a good blocker and fits into what we are doing. I like J.Hill to but there is a reason he is sitting on the bench.
Bruce is playing horrible football right now. I hope to god he doesnt get the start against houston
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Bruce is playing horrible football right now. I hope to god he doesnt get the start against houston

rossum doesnt contribute in anyway to this disaster and they cut him instead of bruce. bruce has the majority of the WR plays go his way and he cant catch, cant get separation and just flat out sucks out there. atleast 2 drops in every game so far, on a team like ours that doesnt get too many contributions out of the QB and WR's, every drop hurts. they dont have to cut him but battle, hill, morgan and jones are way more capable at this point in helping this team. Battle has the same kind of game as bruce except battle is very sure handed and has more speed then bruce. jason hill has the same attributes as battle and he's faster. these two guys should be higher than bruce on the depth chart and i dont see why they are not
I noticed this thread was on the 2nd page. I decided to reply to move it front and center where it belongs. The fans should be talking about this more.. Bruce really has sucked big time this year. It's bad enough that he used to be a Ram, but now he is sucking it up as a 49er.

I mean seriously, put him on the bench already, better yet talk him into retirement, let someone else that can still run get some playing time..

Time to see Crabtree and Jones, Morgan and Hill.
Because he runs great routes. Too bad he can't get separation anymore.
Bruce should be gone after this season. I'm starting to think that the only reason he had a good year last year is because of his familiarity with the Martz offense.

I actually wanted to bring him back this year. He may not be the most talkative person on the field, but he sure does set a good example -- especially for a WR group that is as young as ours.

His play has dropped, but then so has just about every other WRs'

-9fA
It's time to see what Jones can do. The offense needs a shakeup and if it's not going to be the QB, why not the receivers where the current crop is underperforming anyway, and that includes Morgan. I say give the trio of Jones, Hill and Battle a look. Add Crabtree to the mix, slowly but surely and we could have an interesting post-bye season.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
It's time to see what Jones can do. The offense needs a shakeup and if it's not going to be the QB, why not the receivers where the current crop is underperforming anyway, and that includes Morgan. I say give the trio of Jones, Hill and Battle a look. Add Crabtree to the mix, slowly but surely and we could have an interesting post-bye season.

jones hill and battle!!! yes!!! dont give up on morgan but i definately wanna see jason hill, he was our best WR at the second half of last year and now he doesnt play. same with battle, all the dude does is convert 3rd downs.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Because he runs great routes. Too bad he can't get separation anymore.

Sums it up for me, too. QB gets in trouble, Bruce knows how to adjust. It's taught at every level. But he just knows how.

Problem is - he's been dropping passes. It's a problem. So, he'll need to be replaced.
It´s going to be Bruce´s last season with the 49ers and maybe in the nfl. So the best thing to do is to teach our young players.

I Think after the bye with Jones back Bruce will not be one of our top 2 recievers.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Because he's the less talented safe pick, typical of SingRaye.
I think its sad how no one has realized why Bruce has all of a sudden looked like such a waste of space.

First of all he was never considered a burner, even when he was in his prime. I know he is way past it, but he was in the same position last year...and he looked fine to me, at least as a #2/3 even though he was our 1.

Has no one realized that he is being used in Raye's genius offense in the complete opposite ways that he should be used?

The only way Bruce can be used in this stage of his career, or pretty much the only way he was used in his entire career was to focus on his strength of route running. He runs the most pure routes i've seen in awhile, he excels at deep ins, outs, digs, smash routes etc, things a corner really cant guard if the route is run well, and the quarterback has the timing down( hill has no arm to complete a deep out, which is Bruce's strength).

He is constantly being sent on go routes on the sideline, NO SH*T HE ISNT GETTIGN SEPARATION. HE NEVER HAS BEEN GOOD AT THIS. HE CANT OUTRUN A 22 YR OLD CORNER, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S 40. Raye is so bad at utilizing this guys only strengths right now its sad. He then goes in motion, and runs crossing routes in front of linebackers only to get pushed off his route and again, be completely ineffective. How many times is Raye gonna send Bruce on a go route and have shaun hill loft it up (most of the time it comes down like a punt out of bounds). Bruce isnt cut out for going up over safeties and grabbing the ball.

Raye is probably thinking to himself what all of you in this thread are, WHY CANT HE BURN THE CORNER, WHY IS HE SO OLD, BLABLABLABLAH

Use him for what he can still do, which is run good routes. I dont know create timing for once in this god forsaken offense with a reciever and his quarterback like routes are supposed to be run, (oh wait, we did that once and Morgan broke a tackle and almost scored....NO WAY!!!!)

I dont know if you guys remember this, concept.....but it goes something like this:

Receiver runs a route, is only open for 2 seconds, but in that window before he makes his break the quarterback already releases the ball, and when he turns around its in the breadbasket??????? Bruce can still get separation just based on his cuts, but we run ZERO timing routes, and we dont have a quarterback that understands this. But ya, keep getting pissed off at Bruce, when NONE of our other receivers are doing anything either.

hahah and i was just reminded that he is used all the time on screen routes. jesus can it get any worse on offense?

[ Edited by DynastyChile on Oct 13, 2009 at 01:24:08 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I think its sad how no one has realized why Bruce has all of a sudden looked like such a waste of space.

First of all he was never considered a burner, even when he was in his prime. I know he is way past it, but he was in the same position last year...and he looked fine to me, at least as a #2/3 even though he was our 1.

Has no one realized that he is being used in Raye's genius offense in the complete opposite ways that he should be used?

The only way Bruce can be used in this stage of his career, or pretty much the only way he was used in his entire career was to focus on his strength of route running. He runs the most pure routes i've seen in awhile, he excels at deep ins, outs, digs, smash routes etc, things a corner really cant guard if the route is run well, and the quarterback has the timing down( hill has no arm to complete a deep out, which is Bruce's strength).

He is constantly being sent on go routes on the sideline, NO SH*T HE ISNT GETTIGN SEPARATION. HE NEVER HAS BEEN GOOD AT THIS. HE CANT OUTRUN A 22 YR OLD CORNER, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S 40. Raye is so bad at utilizing this guys only strengths right now its sad. He then goes in motion, and runs crossing routes in front of linebackers only to get pushed off his route and again, be completely ineffective. How many times is Raye gonna send Bruce on a go route and have shaun hill loft it up (most of the time it comes down like a punt out of bounds). Bruce isnt cut out for going up over safeties and grabbing the ball.

Raye is probably thinking to himself what all of you in this thread are, WHY CANT HE BURN THE CORNER, WHY IS HE SO OLD, BLABLABLABLAH

Use him for what he can still do, which is run good routes. I dont know create timing for once in this god forsaken offense with a reciever and his quarterback like routes are supposed to be run, (oh wait, we did that once and Morgan broke a tackle and almost scored....NO WAY!!!!)

Yeah, the guy can run routes and teach Crabtree a little. If it's me, the first thing I'd do is cut Battle. Thank you for your time, but you gotta go. Next, I'd make Bruce a 3rd down WR. Have him use his precise routes on the other teams' 3rd defensive back. Then, I'd use Spurlock much more on go routes and screens. I'd start Hill and Morgan and have Crabtree be the 3rd WR. Brandon Jones would be the 4th WR and I'd see if he could work his way up and earn a starting role.

What I wouldn't do: use Hill only on special teams and run screens and go routes to Bruce. The 49ers coaches amaze me.

[ Edited by B650 on Oct 13, 2009 at 01:22:09 ]
Hill and Crabtree are the best guys we have from a talent standpoint IMO. I don't know when they will get in there.

Bruce - too slow and really dropping off lately.
Battle - bad knees and never had great speed.
Morgan - good but maybe a little overrated and giving up on plays lately.

Why not Hill and Crabtree? Hill is the speed and Crabree is everything else.