LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 249 users in the forums

At the end of the day....it's only one game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by HessianDud:
true, and hopefully this keeps us grounded and motivated.

However, it was extremely disappointing to see the team give up so early, execute so poorly, and make so many bad decisions. Those were the things that Sing was supposed to take care of.

s**t happens. time to move on. but this was embarrassing, and how we respond after two weeks will show us something.

I agree a lot depends of how they play against Houston , play well and win ,this game is an embarrassing moment to learn from and move on , if they lay an egg then there could be trouble ahead
I'm never a huge 'Debbie downer' (although I can be critical of this team's performance within a realistic manor), but IMO I had a gut feeling this game was destined to take a bad turn the moment Nedney's opening kickoff went out of bounds.

Ultimately though, the fumble ruined the entire momentum of the game. If that fumble had not of happened we may have either been tied/up by a couple of points going into halftime (and if we had still lost, it wouldn't be a humiliating blowout).
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Today was probably the most disgusting Niner game I have ever seen.

I've seen plenty of blowouts and beatings by opposing teams. But what sets this game apart is the fact that we've seen the greatness the Niners are capable of this year. To see them revert to this form is thoroughly disgusting and disheartening given that fact.

This is only one game however. One game does not negate the progress we've made thus far. One game does not take away from the fact that we had one of the most dominating defense in the nfl coming into the game. We've had 4 games where the defense has played awesome and one game where the wheels completely fell off.

Given what we've seen thus far, I consider this game a regression from the mean and not representative of our defense.

So many bad things happened in this game, and they have all been discussed to death so I'm not even going to go into them. But at the end of the game....all this adds up to is one loss.

People can argue that this team isn't any different from the Nolan teams that started out strong and fell apart after the first few games. But this team is different than those previous teams because of 4 reasons:

1. We have tasted success.

The defensive players know what it takes to dominate a ballgame. They've done it in 4 previous games. Under Mike Nolan even when they won the first two games in 2007, they did not dominate. they just barely hung on. This team knows what it takes, they know how they need to prepare. This is the difference between now and two years ago.

2. Singletary has been here before.

Remember the Seattle game after we fired Mike Nolan and the embarrassment we were that game? Well Singletary managed to rally the troops and finish up strong and win the head coaching job. He knows how to reorganize.

3. We have strong leadership

Singletary has been able to get the players to fully believe in his plan. Willis has developed into a big leader on this team. We have a solid veteran leadership core. This team seems too strong to let all the good work go down the drain after one game, unlike in years past where we were a really young team who hadn't ever experienced success at the nfl level.

4. They now know the intensity they need to keep up in order to continue to be a good team.

They expect to win and I think that happened to a fault in this game. For a team unaccustomed to being a winning team, they didn't fully understand all that needed to be done to continue to be a winning team, it seems like they thought they could go on cruise control and the wins would come naturally. Well now they know that the nfl doesn't work like that and I believe they will learn from that.

The most troubling aspect of this game for me was that they seemed to give up after two bad plays in a span of 30 seconds in the 2nd quarter. They seemed to just pack it in afterwards and give up. Even the best teams have moments like this. However these teams fight back, put it behind them and come back. The Niners just rolled over and dig themselves into a deeper hole. This is the msot troubling aspect of this game to me.

This game sucked really hard, however for the above reasons I think this team can come back. This game definitely highlighted some weaknesses, however this is not representative of our team and what they are capable of by any means.

Though this loss may seem like 10 losses worth of suckitude, the beauty of the nfl is that there are still 15 other games to play and this only counts for one loss.

Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
true, and hopefully this keeps us grounded and motivated.

However, it was extremely disappointing to see the team give up so early, execute so poorly, and make so many bad decisions. Those were the things that Sing was supposed to take care of.

s**t happens. time to move on. but this was embarrassing, and how we respond after two weeks will show us something.

I agree a lot depends of how they play against Houston , play well and win ,this game is an embarrassing moment to learn from and move on , if they lay an egg then there could be trouble ahead

yeah, it could either turn out to be a humbling lesson that spurs the team to address some issues, be better prepared, and to not allow overconfidence to stand in the way of execution. or it could be a harbinger of some really awful things.
Originally posted by Sergi:
In Spain we have a nice sentence "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". So we have to learn of this defeat and try to improve. Our defence is not good since the first match and all games were won by few points. Will be not easy but we'll do it, I can see the superbowl ;)

I'm pretty sure they say that everywhere.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Look on the bright side, atleast we're not the Titans.
Disagreed.

1) We sucked from top to bottom. Period. There was were no bright spots in this game.

2) Our Quarterback was outplayed by Jamarcus Russell.

3) Our coach gave up a timeout to do a huddle, and subsequently Atlanta scores a 30 yard touchdown to a wide open Roddy White. LOL. Oh yeah, then WE RUN OUT OF f**kING TIMEOUTS AND AREN'T ABLE TO CHALLENGE A BLATANT NON-FUMBLE CALL. f**k.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Only one game, but it showed we aren't going anywhere with that side armed pie throwing joke of a starting Qb we have, There are a lot of teams he wouldn't even be second string on.
WOW. People on this board sure jump off the wagon quick. At the end of the day it counts as one lost. We win after the bye and we are 4-2. Thats not bad. Can we at least wait until the team is below .500 before we bury them?
  • 49erdiva
  • Info N/A
We have two weeks to get ready for the Houston game , let's see how the team responds after this loss.

[ Edited by 49erdiva on Oct 12, 2009 at 07:05:21 ]

I saw a team that started drinking their own "Kool-Aid". They looked like they bought into the hype. Maybe Singletary was distracted last week with Crabtree coming in and inmates ran the asylum.

Bottom line, this team is not good enough to just ride a week out. The leaders on this team are still learning themselves and obviously can not be left to motivate the team on their own at this point.
Originally posted by Method:
Disagreed.

1) We sucked from top to bottom. Period. There was were no bright spots in this game.

3) Our coach gave up a timeout to do a huddle, and subsequently Atlanta scores a 30 yard touchdown to a wide open Roddy White. LOL. Oh yeah, then WE RUN OUT OF f**kING TIMEOUTS AND AREN'T ABLE TO CHALLENGE A BLATANT NON-FUMBLE CALL. f**k.

Don't blame the lack of timeouts on Coach. Who the heck went off the field thinking he was done?

I'll give coach one time out a game for rallying. But stupid dumb players who don't have their head in the game...
Originally posted by Method:
Disagreed.

That doesn't really work if you didn't play against Jamarcus Russell. And I'd hardly say he was outplayed by a guy that threw 13 passes.
people can TALK like this just ONE loss BUT we're 0-2 against PLAYOFF teams(or teams we should'nt beat).
I agree, i didn't know what to expect coming into this game and it didn't help that they were fresh off a bye. I did learn some things about us though and I think the team did as well.

1) Shaun hill has maybe reached his peak and today was a good example, he was pressured all day an i'll give him that but he will never bee a come from behind playmaker and is still way better than Alex, If hill gets pulled I would rather see nate davis go in than smith.

2) Rookie head coach. As much as he has already erned my trust and respect there needs to come a time when he dosn't have to call a time out to rally his troops, I think it was chuck null who said "If I have to motivate you, you wont be here". Coach Sing is still lerning and thats exciting to know that he hasn't reached his potential. I also like in his post game when he took blame with his staff for not being better prepared.

3) Rockie Running Back. While he was a beast against 2nd and 3rd string players in the pre-season, Coffee is now knowing what its like to really play in the nfl. He has the tools and he runs very hard, but he has rookie vision and rookie patience. There where at least 3 or 4 runs I remeber off the top of my head where if he were to just one cut them it would be 15 to 20 yard gains, not even bounce them out side, just choosing the right gap or hole and he would have took off.

All in all i think this was a good experience for all and it will make them better. Even after this weekend i still look at our schedual and think of every game as winable. This was just one game.
Share 49ersWebzone