LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

At the end of the day....it's only one game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Today was probably the most disgusting Niner game I have ever seen.

I've seen plenty of blowouts and beatings by opposing teams. But what sets this game apart is the fact that we've seen the greatness the Niners are capable of this year. To see them revert to this form is thoroughly disgusting and disheartening given that fact.

This is only one game however. One game does not negate the progress we've made thus far. One game does not take away from the fact that we had one of the most dominating defense in the nfl coming into the game. We've had 4 games where the defense has played awesome and one game where the wheels completely fell off.

Given what we've seen thus far, I consider this game a regression from the mean and not representative of our defense.

So many bad things happened in this game, and they have all been discussed to death so I'm not even going to go into them. But at the end of the game....all this adds up to is one loss.

People can argue that this team isn't any different from the Nolan teams that started out strong and fell apart after the first few games. But this team is different than those previous teams because of 4 reasons:

1. We have tasted success.

The defensive players know what it takes to dominate a ballgame. They've done it in 4 previous games. Under Mike Nolan even when they won the first two games in 2007, they did not dominate. they just barely hung on. This team knows what it takes, they know how they need to prepare. This is the difference between now and two years ago.

2. Singletary has been here before.

Remember the Seattle game after we fired Mike Nolan and the embarrassment we were that game? Well Singletary managed to rally the troops and finish up strong and win the head coaching job. He knows how to reorganize.

3. We have strong leadership

Singletary has been able to get the players to fully believe in his plan. Willis has developed into a big leader on this team. We have a solid veteran leadership core. This team seems too strong to let all the good work go down the drain after one game, unlike in years past where we were a really young team who hadn't ever experienced success at the nfl level.

4. They now know the intensity they need to keep up in order to continue to be a good team.

They expect to win and I think that happened to a fault in this game. For a team unaccustomed to being a winning team, they didn't fully understand all that needed to be done to continue to be a winning team, it seems like they thought they could go on cruise control and the wins would come naturally. Well now they know that the nfl doesn't work like that and I believe they will learn from that.

The most troubling aspect of this game for me was that they seemed to give up after two bad plays in a span of 30 seconds in the 2nd quarter. They seemed to just pack it in afterwards and give up. Even the best teams have moments like this. However these teams fight back, put it behind them and come back. The Niners just rolled over and dig themselves into a deeper hole. This is the msot troubling aspect of this game to me.

This game sucked really hard, however for the above reasons I think this team can come back. This game definitely highlighted some weaknesses, however this is not representative of our team and what they are capable of by any means.

Though this loss may seem like 10 losses worth of suckitude, the beauty of the nfl is that there are still 15 other games to play and this only counts for one loss.
  • ZRF80
OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE.

I hope, if anything, that Sing realizes that this is not the 80s. Conservatism does not win ballgames in this era. You're more likely to succeed if you play like the Colts/Pats than you are if you play like the Ravens. I hope he and Raye spend the next 2 weeks tweaking our offense. Time to tune the offense to Hill's strenths. We need more rollouts, slants, screens, etc. Do away with the run,run, deep pass attempt, punt nonsense. Hill is not going to throw 50 yards down the field, and Gore is not going to maintain a 5 yard per run average.

The team's had 5 games to get an idea of what we can do. Time to lay the blueprint for the rest of the season........
i know you have like "10" red boxes but i think this thread needs to merged with http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=131363

Originally posted by sanfran49:
i know you have like "10" red boxes but i think this thread needs to merged with http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=131363

If the mods feel like this thread needs to be merged it's their decision and I'm confident in their ability to make decisions for themselves. I would appreciate you not try to bump your thread in my thread.
dont forget our best offensive player was not here today
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by sanfran49:

If the mods feel like this thread needs to be merged it's their decision and I'm confident in their ability to make decisions for themselves. I would appreciate you not try to bump your thread in my thread.

same subject, same speech bro... now dont use ALL THOSE RED BOXES to your advantage now!

Originally posted by ZRF80:
OFFENSE, OFFENSE, OFFENSE.

I hope, if anything, that Sing realizes that this is not the 80s. Conservatism does not win ballgames in this era. You're more likely to succeed if you play like the Colts/Pats than you are if you play like the Ravens. I hope he and Raye spend the next 2 weeks tweaking our offense. Time to tune the offense to Hill's strenths. We need more rollouts, slants, screens, etc. Do away with the run,run, deep pass attempt, punt nonsense. Hill is not going to throw 50 yards down the field, and Gore is not going to maintain a 5 yard per run average.

The team's had 5 games to get an idea of what we can do. Time to lay the blueprint for the rest of the season........

I'm well aware of our failings on offense. This is not about what specifically went wrong, that's why there are offensive and defensive discussion threads.

This is about the implications of the result of this game on the rest of the season.
  • Sergi
  • Info N/A
Just one bad game, go go go 49ers :)

[ Edited by Sergi on Oct 11, 2009 at 19:05:05 ]
We will only go as far as our defense takes us.

We are just built that way, simple. Our coaching staff does not concentrate on the offense...it's not their priority. Our defense today gave up 45 points! We are supposed to contain the opposing team to < 21 points. If our defense does that, we stay in the game long enough, and make some decent moves on offense and win the game.
I don't expect Shaun Hill to throw for 300 yds per game ('cause he can't).
It's unfortunate that we have to win this way, but with the talent level at OLINE, QB and WRs, that's our only option. Just my thoughts.
I agree. I think the defense came in thinking it would be easy. And our O was just the same weak O we have seen all season. Changes need to be made, we need to come out of the bye on fire.

Interesting thought here. Anyone think the Crabtree signing might have been a distraction?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
dont forget our best offensive player was not here today

Ahem! our two best offensive players! mark my words...
Originally posted by backontop:
Interesting thought here. Anyone think the Crabtree signing might have been a distraction?

Huh. Never really thought about it -- but I don't think MS was really too involved in that. And definately not Raye. So, no I don't think so but hey anything's possible.
true, and hopefully this keeps us grounded and motivated.

However, it was extremely disappointing to see the team give up so early, execute so poorly, and make so many bad decisions. Those were the things that Sing was supposed to take care of.

s**t happens. time to move on. but this was embarrassing, and how we respond after two weeks will show us something.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:

Huh. Never really thought about it -- but I don't think MS was really too involved in that. And definately not Raye. So, no I don't think so but hey anything's possible.

True but the fact that it could have been a distraction to the team itself. The entire team came out flat and didn't seem like their head was in the game at all. Just a thought. I wonder if Crabtree was still holding out if the game would have the same results.
Share 49ersWebzone