LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

Jason Whitlock- Crabtree and Deion

Shop Find 49ers gear online
10. If the NFL doesn't put an end to Deion "Master D" Sanders' mentoring service, Percy "Master P" Miller has every right to demand reinstatement as a sports agent.

In my book, Master P did a better job representing Ricky Williams than Master D did advising Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and Deangelo Hall.

Not since Jim Jones led a flock of followers to Guyana has one religious con man been responsible for simultaneously misleading so many young people. Is there no limit to Deion's foolishness?

Super agent Eugene Parker is taking most of the heat for Crabtree's pointless, ridiculous and counterproductive holdout from the 49ers. No way the Crabtree fiasco was a Parker brainchild. He's been representing high-level NFL players for 20 years, including Sanders, Rod Woodson, Larry Fitzgerald, Emmitt Smith, Curtis Martin, Richard Seymour and Derrick Brooks.

He was a great player and a decent TV guy, but Deion Sanders should not be advising players. (Bryan Bedder / Getty Images)

This thing smells like a Sanders concoction. Ever since Master D negotiated himself off the high-profile CBS studio show and onto the low-profile NFL Network studio show, he's been buddying up (mentoring/advising) to young NFL players as a way of remaining relevant.

Just like his negotiations with CBS, his mentoring service has been a disaster.

The clown suit Master D just put on Crabtree might never be topped. Not only did Master D play a role in convincing Crabtree he could get paid based on the word of Mel Kiper rather than the checkbook of an NFL owner, Master D capped it off by sending another 1990s has-been and financial idiot (MC Hammer) to Crabtree's contract surrender.

Think about it. Crabtree had already made a complete ass out of himself and turned off the American football public with an irrational, greedy ploy IN THE MIDDLE OF A HISTORIC ECONOMIC CRISIS, but the involvement of Hammer ensured that comedians and late-night talk-show hosts had all the ammunition necessary to bury Crabtree.

Crabtree is a joke. He looks like the most naive and dumb athlete since Forrest Gump quit playing college football.

Master D owes Crabtree an apology. Sanders can apologize to Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant, too. After Bryant lied about visiting Sanders at his home, the NCAA ruled Bryant ineligible.

Deion Sanders was one of my favorite athletes of all time. Loved to watch him shut down one half the field. Loved his flamboyance and personality. I enjoyed his work on CBS. He had a chance to be the Charles Barkley of football.

Sanders blew it. He's turned into Master D, someone not humble enough to realize he made millions of dollars because God blessed him with Bob Hayes speed, not Johnnie Cochran's intellect.

Roger Goodell needs to close Master D Mentoring. The D stands for destruction or dumb, not Deion.

LINK

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 9, 2009 at 22:24:50 ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
10. If the NFL doesn't put an end to Deion "Master D" Sanders' mentoring service, Percy "Master P" Miller has every right to demand reinstatement as a sports agent.

In my book, Master P did a better job representing Ricky Williams than Master D did advising Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and Deangelo Hall.

Not since Jim Jones led a flock of followers to Guyana has one religious con man been responsible for simultaneously misleading so many young people. Is there no limit to Deion's foolishness?

Super agent Eugene Parker is taking most of the heat for Crabtree's pointless, ridiculous and counterproductive holdout from the 49ers. No way the Crabtree fiasco was a Parker brainchild. He's been representing high-level NFL players for 20 years, including Sanders, Rod Woodson, Larry Fitzgerald, Emmitt Smith, Curtis Martin, Richard Seymour and Derrick Brooks.

He was a great player and a decent TV guy, but Deion Sanders should not be advising players. (Bryan Bedder / Getty Images)

This thing smells like a Sanders concoction. Ever since Master D negotiated himself off the high-profile CBS studio show and onto the low-profile NFL Network studio show, he's been buddying up (mentoring/advising) to young NFL players as a way of remaining relevant.

Just like his negotiations with CBS, his mentoring service has been a disaster.

The clown suit Master D just put on Crabtree might never be topped. Not only did Master D play a role in convincing Crabtree he could get paid based on the word of Mel Kiper rather than the checkbook of an NFL owner, Master D capped it off by sending another 1990s has-been and financial idiot (MC Hammer) to Crabtree's contract surrender.

Think about it. Crabtree had already made a complete ass out of himself and turned off the American football public with an irrational, greedy ploy IN THE MIDDLE OF A HISTORIC ECONOMIC CRISIS, but the involvement of Hammer ensured that comedians and late-night talk-show hosts had all the ammunition necessary to bury Crabtree.

Crabtree is a joke. He looks like the most naive and dumb athlete since Forrest Gump quit playing college football.

Master D owes Crabtree an apology. Sanders can apologize to Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant, too. After Bryant lied about visiting Sanders at his home, the NCAA ruled Bryant ineligible.

Deion Sanders was one of my favorite athletes of all time. Loved to watch him shut down one half the field. Loved his flamboyance and personality. I enjoyed his work on CBS. He had a chance to be the Charles Barkley of football.

Sanders blew it. He's turned into Master D, someone not humble enough to realize he made millions of dollars because God blessed him with Bob Hayes speed, not Johnnie Cochran's intellect.

Roger Goodell needs to close Master D Mentoring. The D stands for destruction or dumb, not Deion.

Good read.
If Deion is gonna go recruiting for Parker, he should first quit working for the NFL! Idiot.
Deion deserves some heat and rightfully so. Props for Jason calling him out. More people in the media need to. I wouldn't be shocked to see Deion let go from the NFL Network or at the least, told to stay away from future draft picks.
after the bryant incident i have to agree
I just read Whitlock's article in full and gotta say I loved it! Way to call em like you see em. Wow, and Deion is a total tool. Gifted athlete, but a tool.
Deion is a complete jackass why anyone puts him on tv is beyond me. there have to be tons of ex athletes more capable of talking football on tv, mentoring young players. BAN HIM!
Quote:

• Imfasterrthanurr
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Quote:

(Looks at Bold names)
Originally posted by Imfasterrthanurr:
Quote:

(Looks at Bold names)

That's quite a group huh?

Bout time some1 said something...hell..i got sick of all deion...irvin and eisen's mouths sayin "crabtree" on our highlights on nfl network when some1 else from the team made a catch or nice play..
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Imfasterrthanurr:
Quote:

(Looks at Bold names)

That's quite a group huh?

i hope crabtree breaks that trend of disasters...... oh my goodness deion what are you telling these guys???
Deion is poison, this is the same guy who all of sudden became holy one year and then the next year that whole "act" went away.
  • Ashemarr
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by matt49er:
Deion is a complete jackass why anyone puts him on tv is beyond me. there have to be tons of ex athletes more capable of talking football on tv, mentoring young players. BAN HIM!

It's quite sad that his appearance on that dreadful reality show (the one with his family) overshadows any memory I have of him as a player.

I can only thank him for having some indiscretion in revealing info on Crabtree that might have helped to steamroll the contract signing. Otherwise, he's a careless talking head whose penchant to stir up crap for the sake of ratings is only amusing because he's not smart enough to realize the consequences...good or bad.
Share 49ersWebzone