There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Sando

Originally posted by pwilly:
If you dont know who Mike Sando is then your just a causal fan which is not a bad thing Im just saying... He is the NFC West blogger for ESPN and writes multiple blog entries a week about the 49ers and other nfc west teams. For others who are on facebook I strongly suggest you friend him he posts many interesting entries on the west and the niners. I would say its not that he is not on the niners bandwagon he just does not really think the NFC West is very good. But per his blog I learned that we have the #2 ranked fox announcing crew sunday with the goose and dick stockton so we are getting some respect. P.S. I believe the top crew with Joe Buck is doing playoff baseball.

Thanks for the info. I like the info Sando puts up on ESPN.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
you cant bash a guy for saying the NFC champs will win there division

touche
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
+1 on all the Seattle stuff. His roots are in Seattle.

But Sando specifically says that he sees the season starting out strong, then slumping in the middle, then getting a boost and ending 8-8. With teams like the Colts, Bears and Packers in the middle of the schedule I could see that.

The fact is, even writers like Maiocco predicted an 8-8 finish with 9-7 if things went the 49ers way or 7-9 if things didn't.

I don't think anyone is expecting 11-5 and a first round bye
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oscar:
+1 on all the Seattle stuff. His roots are in Seattle.

But Sando specifically says that he sees the season starting out strong, then slumping in the middle, then getting a boost and ending 8-8. With teams like the Colts, Bears and Packers in the middle of the schedule I could see that.

The fact is, even writers like Maiocco predicted an 8-8 finish with 9-7 if things went the 49ers way or 7-9 if things didn't.

haha we could surprise though. Im not that worried about the bears or packers they are overhyped anyways. i am not looking forward to manning though.
I think Sando does a good job. Just because his reports aren't fawning all over the 49ers doesn't make him some kind of hater. God knows the 49ers have some flaws and it's his job to report both the good and the bad.
  • pwilly
  • Info N/A
Colts packers eagles at sea bears ari texans tough second half of schedule until det and stl finsh off the year
Being a pilgrim of the Northwest myself, I've hated that dips**t numbers nerd for a long time. He grew up a die hard Raiders fan, and when the Raiders started to suck he went local and rooted for the Seahawks (and most of his blog entries/arguments always stir towards Seawhawks bias due to his locale). The way Sando writes about Hassleback you would think he'd wanna take Matt out back and give him a prison BJ.

Sure, Sando writes a lot of interesting articles (and he's a hardon for FF boys), but when you hear this guy on ESPN radio and the smack he talks, you just wanna punch him in his fat ugly face.
if ya dont' know now you know...
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Its funny the reaction people have to the ESPN analysts. If they don't talk about the 49ers, they're bums. If they do but not enough, they're bums. If they do but aren't positive enough, they're bums. Then when they do talk about them enough and are positive, they're bums for jumping on the bandwagon after not talking about them enough when they were terrible for 6 straight years. And, all of this criticism comes from a collective group that is probably much more critical than any of the national writers whether it comes from one of the different significant factions that has wanted to get rid of many of the players that are now coming into their own, is rarely happy enough with a win and acts as if someone needs to get fired or cut for each loss.
Originally posted by Oscar:
If we win against Atlanta I am, at the begining of the season I figured the same 88 or 97. Now 106 with a high of 115 and I'm not talking weather.
Originally posted by kem99:
Its funny the reaction people have to the ESPN analysts. If they don't talk about the 49ers, they're bums. If they do but not enough, they're bums. If they do but aren't positive enough, they're bums. Then when they do talk about them enough and are positive, they're bums for jumping on the bandwagon after not talking about them enough when they were terrible for 6 straight years. And, all of this criticism comes from a collective group that is probably much more critical than any of the national writers whether it comes from one of the different significant factions that has wanted to get rid of many of the players that are now coming into their own, is rarely happy enough with a win and acts as if someone needs to get fired or cut for each loss.

That's a hard argument when ESPN was like this during (even) the Mariucci years. Half their analysts/writers/management is made up of catty Jew Yorkers, or ex-NFC East football players/coaches/GMs who could give a s**t less about any team beyond the Dallas Cowboys (the further you head west).

This doesn't just go back to the fact that we've sucked over the past six years, but markets/east coast sports syndicates have had a strong disdain for the 49ers since the late 90's. (And sadly it isn't our team's fault completely, but the fact that we play in a run-down stadium that doesn't produce the type of revenue numbers the NFL would consider "sexy" enough for maximum exposure.)

Also... you do know that the 49ers haven't had a Sunday night football game since 1997, right?

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 8, 2009 at 15:30:01 ]
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by kem99:

That's a hard argument when ESPN was like this during (even) the Mariucci years. Half their analysts/writers/management is made up of catty Jew Yorkers, or ex-NFC East football players/coaches/GMs who could give a s**t less about any team beyond the Dallas Cowboys (the further you head west).

This doesn't just go back to the fact that we've sucked over the past six years, but markets/east coast sports syndicates have had a strong disdain for the 49ers since the late 90's. (And sadly it isn't our team's fault completely, but the fact that we play in a run-down stadium that doesn't produce the type of revenue numbers the NFL would consider "sexy" enough for maximum exposure.)

You do know that the 49ers haven't had a Sunday night football game since 1997, right?

You do know that "Sunday Night Football" is a recent invention that began last year? So, yes, you're right, the 49ers have not had a Sunday night football game in the year and 4 games its been running when last year they were coming off the disastrous 2007 season. Yet despite being terrible, they have still appeared recently at least once per season on Thursday night or Monday night.

In terms of the "strong disdain...since the late 90's"...they bottomed out after Young retired, recovered briefly under Garcia but then went through the Erickson and Nolan years so what would you expect them to do...lead with the 49ers each week on NFL Countdown?

Moreover, a lot of the "disdain" was linked to where the Yorks were taking the franchise, especially in the beginning after they took it over from Eddie D. That "disdain" was echoed by then current and former 49ers, not to mention many of the posters here until recently.

You also ignore that Berman has long been a 49ers homer, not to mention that Steve Young has been with ESPN for the last few years.

All I'm saying is that as a whole, many of the posters here that complain about ESPN and other NFL "experts" are far more critical than those they criticize.
That's what we get for sucking for the past god knows how many years. We have to earn respect. Until we start winning our division and making the playoffs, they will all count us out.