There are 204 users in the forums

Bandwagon Fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninersush:
for what its worth...i'm from chicago and was a bear fan by birth. after the 9ers kept whooping the bears in the 80s i decided that i liked the 9ers style. and became a fan. i guess you could say i was a bandwagon fan. and the 9ers just stuck with me since then and i'm a 9ers fan for life. definitely bigger 9ers fan then bears even still livin in chicago.

so from my tale i can say that i dont mind them as i hope some turn into life long fans as i have.

but the real bandwagoners need to be dealt with via some kind of 9ers trivia that only us crazed idiots know to seperate the men and women from the kids. or otherwise....maybe a lil Mt. Pain.

Trivia, Did someone mention Trivia.

Who invented the Shotgun Formation and why was it dumped for 20 years?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
A co-worker of mine just told me her husband wanted her to get all his 9er jerseys out of storage and wash them so he can start wearing them again.

She's a Bears fan and actually talks about football during the season. She was laughing at him being a fairweather fan.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by BigRon:
I am all for the Bandwagoners. Bring em on, welcome them aboard. The broader the fan base the better for all of us. I doubt there are many here who didn't come to fandom of this team when we were losing in the last 5 years. Most here, who have grown up outside of the SF Bay Area, became fans during the Steve Young years others with Garcia. How many came aboard during Donahue and Erickson? How many first became fans during Nolan-Smith. We, for the most part, are all bandwagon fans. Some just longer than others.

Not me! I am an exception to the rule! I came aboard during the early 70's. Everyone here was rooting for the Rams, so I became a fan of their division rival in the north half of the state. I wanted people to argue and disagree with. 35 years later and I still like to argue and disagree! The 49ers weren't too bad then, but not as good as the Rams.

Just for the record, I have been following the team since 1960
bandwagon fans dont bother me i am secure with my FAN HOOD. The more bandwagon fans come out the more gear they buy the more it help our orginazation.
True fan or bandwagon fan, who cares? If someone watches the game and has a great time, then that’s great for them. And if they spend some money on some 49ers shwag that finds its way into the 49ers hands, then that’s good for the Yorks and possibly good for us. But in the end, it’s not going to effect my enjoyment in watching the 49ers one way or the other.
Originally posted by ninersush:
for what its worth...i'm from chicago and was a bear fan by birth. after the 9ers kept whooping the bears in the 80s i decided that i liked the 9ers style. and became a fan. i guess you could say i was a bandwagon fan. and the 9ers just stuck with me since then and i'm a 9ers fan for life. definitely bigger 9ers fan then bears even still livin in chicago.

so from my tale i can say that i dont mind them as i hope some turn into life long fans as i have.

but the real bandwagoners need to be dealt with via some kind of 9ers trivia that only us crazed idiots know to seperate the men and women from the kids. or otherwise....maybe a lil Mt. Pain.

Trivia, Did someone mention Trivia.

Who invented the Shotgun Formation and why was it dumped for 20 years?

I know the 9ers invented it but not sure why it was 20 years missing...maybe the nfl favored running and not passing?
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by JC49:
Given how things have gone for us the last few years or so bandwagon fans aren't a problem we've had. If our current success keeps snow balling I think we'll have plenty of them though. So far our defense is getting it done and the bandwagon fans tend to go for more offensive units but it will still happen. I thought I would give long suffering, loyal fans a chance to sound off on how they feel about new additions to our fan base.

I see your kind of new to the Zone.. You didn't just jump on did ya?.. If so glad to have ya!

Fair shot. Only new to the zone. One of my favorite Niners has been Michael Carter (also '84 Olympics siver medalist in the shot put) if you need some kind of testament. Only NFL player to medal in the Olympics and play in the NFL in the same year. Never gets mentioned at all, never mind enough. He made our 3-4 work back then. Lived in Sacramento as a kid in the late seventies. Loved going to San Francisco. Got a big kick out of the Human Juke Box as a young child. When I started watching football the Niners caught my attention because their Jerseys were the same color as my little league team. Plus they sucked and I had a soft spot for the underdog.

Granted I didn't have to wait many years for big things.

[ Edited by JC49 on Oct 8, 2009 at 09:19:39 ]
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NASTYNATE22:
bandwagon fans dont bother me i am secure with my FAN HOOD. The more bandwagon fans come out the more gear they buy the more it help our orginazation.

I only have a hat.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
I am all for the Bandwagoners. Bring em on, welcome them aboard. The broader the fan base the better for all of us. I doubt there are many here who didn't come to fandom of this team when we were losing in the last 5 years. Most here, who have grown up outside of the SF Bay Area, became fans during the Steve Young years others with Garcia. How many came aboard during Donahue and Erickson? How many first became fans during Nolan-Smith. We, for the most part, are all bandwagon fans. Some just longer than others.

I can't imaging any came to the team during Donahue and Erikson but who knows because you're wrong. Lots of us came to the team when they were losing. I was little, liked the city, and the Jersey color was a big deal to me.
BANDWAGON FANS, and even fed up RAIDER FANS, COME ON DOWWWWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

If you became a fan when you were a kid then I don't think you are considered a bandwagon fan, if you became a fan just because of the teams success and you were old enough to realize that then you are a bandwagon fan (nothing wrong with that) The type of bandwagon fans I hate are the type that as soon as we start sucking (for example after 02) you stop supporting the team.

Excellent point that cuts to the heart of it. If you're true you stick through.
The true bandwagoners come out when a team goes deep into the playoffs or Superbowl.
Originally posted by verb1der:
BANDWAGON FANS, and even fed up RAIDER FANS, COME ON DOWWWWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA I'm waiting on my roommate do leave the black hole/black out (HAHA) and join us on the bandwagon. I host 49er parties every Sunday and he hears the grunt of it from all of our friends
Go Demons! Wait....did I miss the XFL Bandwagon?
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Gotta go get back to my life. It's been surpisingly fun and nostalgic. If I learned something from this post it is:

I don't care who becomes a Niner fan as long as they stay a Niner fan.

It is good to have a little winning in my life these days though, I am also a Maple Leafs fan.
Share 49ersWebzone