There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

i may be the only one but coffee...

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Quote:
I don't know what team you guys are watching but the line cant block anybody. If it wasnt for the seattle game the rbs would be averaging maybe 2 yards a carry. Until the line gets some push I don't think its fair to judge.[/
quote]

Very true a RB can only do so much on his own no matter how much talent he has. Football is the ultimate team sport.
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Originally posted by djb49:
So let me get this straight:

We throw in a rookie RB to take on the full load for a few weeks, behind an o-line that mostly EVERYONE on here states is horrendous, with an OC and head coach that state we are going to run most of the game, and you guys expect him to run like Gore did against the Seahawks?

Give the guy a break! He accumulated over a 100 yards rushing and receiving last week.. I agree that there were some instances against the Vikings where I wish he would have cut instead of gone straight into the defender, but he's warming up to the speed of the NFL..

I say put your microscopes away for a few more weeks..

no what u need to get straight is that i havent seen him make a play in preseason regular season or other wise that impresses me to his potential
people are able to spot potential in short glimpses and i have yet to see it in the 60 or so odd plays he has been involved in...in addressing another guys post
that ward and other had subpar rookie years... i witnessed said years and saw flashes of potiential esp. in sproles he'd get shut out most games then make a play...to be in the nfl u gotta be a playmaker...coffee has yet to show in one play that he can make it so yea scub until i see otherwise..and if i see him make a good play that impresses me i wont heisitate to say hey he may have potential

i just havent seen that play....yet

The bolded part you said years.. It has been a total of 8 games for Coffee.. And believe me, I really did wonder on some plays what Coffee was thinking, but how about we see what we have at the end of the year?
Our line is playing that well and Defenses are stacking the box.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
He's a rookie? cut him a little slack, but ya i liked foster more.

Foster was garbage when he was here, why do you think we spent a 3rd round pick to get Coffee
I can hardly believe so many in here don't see that the Offensive line's fingerprints are all over our poor rushing. You take away two long runs by Gore and it jumps right out at you cause we all know how good Gore is. I am not saying that none of it is on Coffee and certainly the dropped passes he owns. JMHO

At least Singletary calls it like it is and calls out the offensive line play.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 8, 2009 at 05:23:44 ]
Well like many of you stated before the coaches have kind of pulled in the reigns on Coffee and that started waaaay back in the early part of training camp. I played a RB back in my glory days and I remember my coaches yelling at me telling me to follow the play the way it was designed. There's nothing wrong with that but if there is nothing there, then it's time to improvise and make something happen. You don't hear Wade Phillips telling Marion Barber to not look for the cut back lane. Free Coffee!!!
I still think it is too early on Coffee. I mean, Gore didn't have the best game against Arizona and the Vinkings have a much tougher D. Coffee was able to get some big runs.

Also, allot of the back you mentioned have a better passing attack than we have been able to demonstrate. It's hard for anyone to run with 8 or 9 in the box. Just a thought.

I hope he plays better in Atlanta though. We will need him and their a tough team also.

[ Edited by aclarke49 on Oct 8, 2009 at 05:23:09 ]
I believe the problem with Coffee is that during camp Jimmy Raye drilled it into his head to hit the hole everytime & do not bounce it outside or cutback. I think he will become more comfortable & will start cutting back & bounce it outside sometimes. I have confidence he can get the job done & our o-line will help him out. I'm not giving up on this kid just yet.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
aside from that seahawks game

our run has been non-existant

I cant put it all on coffee right now, but the oline needs to do a better job

He had good runs against the vikings when we ran toss and sweep plays, probably because there wasnt a mass of humanity getting pushed into the back field.

Finally a voice of reason.

[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Oct 8, 2009 at 05:43:25 ]
rookie RB's should be able to make an impact immediately. But you gotta admit, our OL isn't helping out any of our RB's what so ever. Take away those two huge runs by gore, and he hasn't done s**t all year either.
I havent been that impressed with Coffee either but keep in mind he is a rookie. I say he breaks out against Atlanta and gets over a 100 yards rushing with a touchdown.

I for one says on offense everything begins and ends with the O Line. The interior is playing like crap right now with the exception of the center position. They can't block adequately and they are not opening up gaps for the backs for burst through if only momentarily. If Shaun Hill is kept upright, he WILL make the plays down field especially with Crabtree no in the fold. I believe Coach Singletary will get these guys motivated and ready to play; if not, there will be changes across the O line.

Having said all this, I still think we need a big bruising back to complement the current running game. short yardage needs to be like automatic for a running team. GO NINERS!

• jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
I actually like Coffee a lot. I really like the way he carries the ball, I really like the way he isn't dancing around in the backfield looking to break a 20+ yard run every time.

If he gets 20 carries per game and gets around 75 yards per game with 0 fumbles I'm a happy camper. Remember, he's a back-up. That's why I'm so pleased with his no nonsense, take care of the football attitude.
  • loxdog
  • Info N/A
Tohara is dead on with his quote below:

"I believe the problem with Coffee is that during camp Jimmy Raye drilled it into his head to hit the hole everytime & do not bounce it outside or cutback. I think he will become more comfortable & will start cutting back & bounce it outside sometimes. I have confidence he can get the job done & our o-line will help him out. I'm not giving up on this kid just yet."

You can see that he is just putting his head down and plowing into the middle. He clearly isn't comfortable with doing so but the announcers did indicate that Raye has drilled him on this and avoiding the bounce outside. While bouncing outside may be his strength, many a good RB has gotten into a bad habit of this over the years. He is talented and will be just fine once he gets out there and isn't "thinking" but instead "reacting".

[ Edited by loxdog on Oct 8, 2009 at 06:13:25 ]