There are 195 users in the forums

49ers sign OLB Martail Burnett to replace Dobson Collins on PS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by backontop:
10th all time with 17 sacks

HAHA!!! Thats the Mountain West for you!

Not sure what you are trying to say here? The Mountain West has been arguably the 3rd or 4th best conference in the Nation over the past several years. Better then the ACC and Big East and has demonstrated a competitive edge over most in the Pac 10.

Granted they are not the SEC or Big 12 but their best did work over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl last year.

I hope this kid does progress and is a diamond in the rough. It is always cool to see a fan fulfill his dream by playing on his favorite team.

First of all, some front page wins does not make you the 3rd or 4th best conference. Top to bottom the Mountain West is still not on the same level of the bigger conferences. However, the MW is clearly a conference on the rise with a couple talented teams that continue to establish themselves. In addition to my belief that the MW is still not one of the better conferences; I was also considering the fact that there is very little tradition of winning or talent in the MW. That being said, having 17 sacks and being 10th all time for at Utah is not impressive for a school.

Ok, what does make you the 3rd or 4th best conference in the nation?
Would it be –
- Winning 2 BCS bowl games in 4 years without an automatic bid? 2-0 in BCS bowl games? How many other conferences can boast that?
- Top teams, ranked in the Top 25 in the nation? Last year 2 top 25 teams, 2 of which were top 10. How many other conferences can boast that?
- Having a winning record against BCS conferences? Last year (if I remember right) 6-1 against Pac 10, 2-0 against SEC (and those are just the ones that I know of right off) This year very competitive against these so called big conferences.

Granted the MW is not at the caliber yet of the SEC, the Big 12, or the Pac 10 (debatable) right now. That said, what other conference is better? The big Least? The ACC? They have become very week conferences. They are lucky to have even one team in the top 25 much less 2 or 3. IMHO the MW has past those two conferences top to bottom.

Most don’t want to acknowledge it but the MW has actually been very competitive with the so called big conferences over the past several years. I have been very impressed with them and one would have to be naïve not to be.

The reality is that this guy came from a very solid defense on a very solid team from a very solid conference. I hope he can produce but then, expectations are very low as this is only the PS.
Nice developmental guy. He's only been in the league one year. Way too soon to say he couldn't potentially do something if worked with, groomed, and developed. If he sticks, good for him.

Hopefully he can show the coaches he's worth keeping around.
Share 49ersWebzone