LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

49ers sign OLB Martail Burnett to replace Dobson Collins on PS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Maiocco's Blog

Quote:
The 49ers filled their vacant practice-squad spot with OLB Martail Burnett (Utah, 6-3, 262). He spent 20'08 season on Vikings' p-squad. He was recruited to college as a safety, then put on 50 pounds and played defensive end. He ranks in Utah's top 10 all-time with 17 sacks and 33.5 tackles for loss. Burnett takes the practice-squad spot that opened when the 49ers released WR Dobson Collins.
who?
Championship!
10th all time with 17 sacks
another position-change experiment?
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
who?

Just a guy for our practice squad. Players signed to the practice squad, most likely, are going to be people you've never heard of.
cool
I found this interview from TheFootballExpert

Quote:
TheFootballExpert.com: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Martail Burnett: 6’3’’, 259, 4.72
TheFootballExpert.com: Describe your game in three words or less.
Martail Burnett: Smart, fast, aggressive
TheFootballExpert.com: What do you feel is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you feel you need to improve in?
Martail Burnett: Very coachable, good field intellect. I need to improve on my motor (keep going to the ball).
TheFootballExpert.com: What NFL player do you do you think you compare favorably to?
Martail Burnett: Simeon Rice and Jevon Kearse
TheFootballExpert.com: Who is the best player you have faced during your college football career?
Martail Burnett: I don’t feel like I’ve played against anyone who stood out or matched my competitive level yet.
TheFootballExpert.com: What is your greatest football moment to date?
Martail Burnett: My interception return for 55 yards against TCU
TheFootballExpert.com: Did you have a favorite pro team growing up? Favorite player?
Martail Burnett: My favorite team was and still is the 49ers but I have no favorite player.
TheFootballExpert.com: How instrumental was Coach Whittingham in your progression?
Martail Burnett: Coach Whit was really helpful in guiding me and assisting me on how to play on the D-line.
TheFootballExpert.com: What have former college teammates now in the NFL told you about preparing for the league?
Martail Burnett: To stay in shape and work towards mini camp because it’s really important.
TheFootballExpert.com: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?
Martail Burnett: I will put a down payment on a home.
TheFootballExpert.com: How have you been preparing for the NFL Draft?
Martail Burnett: Lifting weights, running, staying in shape. My goal is to stay strong and maintain my weight but lose some body fat at the same time.
TheFootballExpert.com: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?
Martail Burnett: Not really except to be drafted. Just being drafted would be a huge blessing.
TheFootballExpert.com: What is the one thing you will most miss at college?
Martail Burnett: I will miss my teammates and running out of the tunnel at game time with them.
TheFootballExpert.com: Where is the best place to get a bite to eat in Salt Lake City?
Martail Burnett: Crown Burger
TheFootballExpert.com: What was your favorite college course and why?
Martail Burnett: I don’t have a favorite course. My overall major, criminal based Sociology, was exciting.
TheFootballExpert.com: Any pregame rituals? Food? Music?
Martail Burnett: I pray and listen to gospel music.
TheFootballExpert.com: What is something football fans may not know about you?
Martail Burnett: I hate spiders.
TheFootballExpert.com: Do you read mock drafts or listen to what draft experts have to say?
Martail Burnett: Sometimes, but not realy.
TheFootballExpert.com: What was the last good movie you saw?
Martail Burnett: Rambo
TheFootballExpert.com: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?
Martail Burnett: Coach high school football.
TheFootballExpert.com: Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and good luck!
Martail Burnett: Thank you.

Super Bowl Bound
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Yesssssssssssssss!
Looks like a dream come true for him.

Cheers for the link DesiDez

-9fA

Originally posted by FourNine49:

Position change? Changing from a 4-3 defensive end to a 3-4 outside linebacker isn't much of a change. Did you even read the passage?

He came to Utah as a safety and put on weight to become an end, which means he's quick and has coverage abilities as well.
I'm a big believer in that you can tell how good a player will be based simply on their name. For instance: Zak Keasey.

Martail Burnett...sounds like a linebacker for me. He'll be on the 53 man squad someday, mark my words.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Position change? Changing from a 4-3 defensive end to a 3-4 outside linebacker isn't much of a change. Did you even read the passage?

He came to Utah as a safety and put on weight to become an end, which means he's quick and has coverage abilities as well.

Ahh I stand corrected then. I thought I read that he was a Safety in college, and we're now turning him into a LB bc of his weight increase. My bad
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I'm a big believer in that you can tell how good a player will be based simply on their name. For instance: Zak Keasey.

Martail Burnett...sounds like a linebacker for me. He'll be on the 53 man squad someday, mark my words.

I'm already preparing his bust for Canton, OH
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I found this interview from TheFootballExpert

Quote:
TheFootballExpert.com: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Martail Burnett: 6’3’’, 259, 4.72
TheFootballExpert.com: Describe your game in three words or less.
Martail Burnett: Smart, fast, aggressive
TheFootballExpert.com: What do you feel is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you feel you need to improve in?
Martail Burnett: Very coachable, good field intellect. I need to improve on my motor (keep going to the ball).
TheFootballExpert.com: What NFL player do you do you think you compare favorably to?
Martail Burnett: Simeon Rice and Jevon Kearse
TheFootballExpert.com: Who is the best player you have faced during your college football career?
Martail Burnett: I don’t feel like I’ve played against anyone who stood out or matched my competitive level yet.
TheFootballExpert.com: What is your greatest football moment to date?
Martail Burnett: My interception return for 55 yards against TCU
TheFootballExpert.com: Did you have a favorite pro team growing up? Favorite player?
Martail Burnett: My favorite team was and still is the 49ers but I have no favorite player.
TheFootballExpert.com: How instrumental was Coach Whittingham in your progression?
Martail Burnett: Coach Whit was really helpful in guiding me and assisting me on how to play on the D-line.
TheFootballExpert.com: What have former college teammates now in the NFL told you about preparing for the league?
Martail Burnett: To stay in shape and work towards mini camp because it’s really important.
TheFootballExpert.com: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?
Martail Burnett: I will put a down payment on a home.
TheFootballExpert.com: How have you been preparing for the NFL Draft?
Martail Burnett: Lifting weights, running, staying in shape. My goal is to stay strong and maintain my weight but lose some body fat at the same time.
TheFootballExpert.com: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft?
Martail Burnett: Not really except to be drafted. Just being drafted would be a huge blessing.
TheFootballExpert.com: What is the one thing you will most miss at college?
Martail Burnett: I will miss my teammates and running out of the tunnel at game time with them.
TheFootballExpert.com: Where is the best place to get a bite to eat in Salt Lake City?
Martail Burnett: Crown Burger
TheFootballExpert.com: What was your favorite college course and why?
Martail Burnett: I don’t have a favorite course. My overall major, criminal based Sociology, was exciting.
TheFootballExpert.com: Any pregame rituals? Food? Music?
Martail Burnett: I pray and listen to gospel music.
TheFootballExpert.com: What is something football fans may not know about you?
Martail Burnett: I hate spiders.
TheFootballExpert.com: Do you read mock drafts or listen to what draft experts have to say?
Martail Burnett: Sometimes, but not realy.
TheFootballExpert.com: What was the last good movie you saw?
Martail Burnett: Rambo
TheFootballExpert.com: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?
Martail Burnett: Coach high school football.
TheFootballExpert.com: Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and good luck!
Martail Burnett: Thank you.

Super Bowl Bound

Good to see a fellow fan get a chance to play for the team
Share 49ersWebzone