LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Crabtree, Singletary press conference video

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I'm actually surprised the Niners even made him do the conference. He's obviously uncomfortable enough with the way this all went down, and I do believe this holdout was the concoction of his agent. He's likely to hear some boos when he's announced at home and full-out smack on the road. I don't understand the need to make him stand in front of a room full of reporters when you know he's not going to speak candidly and the whole event will only make him feel more "humbled" than he already does. The best thing the Niners (and especially Singletary) can do for him is keep him out of the limelight until he's ready to go out there and perform. Singletary could have just gone out there alone and said he's not allowing Crabtree to meet the press because he needs to focus 100% of his attention on catching up and becoming a part of the team. Singletary definitely has the clout to do that. I don't understand how sending him out in front of the press now helps Crabtree or the team. It isn't the end of the world or anything, but it immediately puts our new prize WR in the position of being under attack. Just not sure why you would want that.

Disagree. He owes it to the organization and fans to show face. The boy's gotta grow up someday

I agree, but did he? He obviously feels some regret, but you had to know we weren't going to get anything even remotely resembling the apology we as fans deserve and he needs to give to make us Michael Crabtree fans. I would think that a little time and the opportunity to become a contributing member of the team would put him in a better state of mind to have that sort of press conference and regain the support of fans. It's probably Sing just wanting to get this distraction out of the way, but I don't think that was really accomplished. I frankly don't want Crabtree too humbled right now, because he's got to be bold if he's going to contribute coming in this late. And after that conference, he's probably feeling just that much more "humbled". Again, it probably isn't that big of a deal, but I still don't think it was the best way to handle an already awkward situation. Had Sing just done the conference himself and said Crabtree is focusing 100% on catching up, we would have bought it up. The only way Crabtree is going to win fans in San Francisco is if he starts producing. Everything else falls short.

I see where you're coming from. But not having a press conference is like not talking about the huge elephant in the room. Just imagine some of the things that would be said if he didn't address the media:

Crabs is too pu55y to man up to his mistakes.
Crabs must be hiding something.
etc
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
What caught my eye was when he refered to himself as "michael crabtree" when he was talking about his cousin saying he would sit out the year

The reporter asked him about his cousin, and he basically didn't want to answer the question about what "someone else" might have said.

So instead of answering the question about what his cousin said, he just said, "I'm Michael Crabtree," I speak for myself.

i think he got his cousing or anybody else to speak for him... that way he didn't mess up his image... i'm pretty sure thats what the cousin was for... not for any contract or financial advice. but to speak out and say whatever crabtree was thinking and didn't want to say. imo
I'm actually surprised the Niners even made him do the conference. He's obviously uncomfortable enough with the way this all went down, and I do believe this holdout was the concoction of his agent. He's likely to hear some boos when he's announced at home and full-out smack on the road. I don't understand the need to make him stand in front of a room full of reporters when you know he's not going to speak candidly and the whole event will only make him feel more "humbled" than he already does. The best thing the Niners (and especially Singletary) can do for him is keep him out of the limelight until he's ready to go out there and perform. Singletary could have just gone out there alone and said he's not allowing Crabtree to meet the press because he needs to focus 100% of his attention on catching up and becoming a part of the team. Singletary definitely has the clout to do that. I don't understand how sending him out in front of the press now helps Crabtree or the team. It isn't the end of the world or anything, but it immediately puts our new prize WR in the position of being under attack. Just not sure why you would want that.

Disagree. He owes it to the organization and fans to show face. The boy's gotta grow up someday

I agree, but did he? He obviously feels some regret, but you had to know we weren't going to get anything even remotely resembling the apology we as fans deserve and he needs to give to make us Michael Crabtree fans. I would think that a little time and the opportunity to become a contributing member of the team would put him in a better state of mind to have that sort of press conference and regain the support of fans. It's probably Sing just wanting to get this distraction out of the way, but I don't think that was really accomplished. I frankly don't want Crabtree too humbled right now, because he's got to be bold if he's going to contribute coming in this late. And after that conference, he's probably feeling just that much more "humbled". Again, it probably isn't that big of a deal, but I still don't think it was the best way to handle an already awkward situation. Had Sing just done the conference himself and said Crabtree is focusing 100% on catching up, we would have bought it up. The only way Crabtree is going to win fans in San Francisco is if he starts producing. Everything else falls short.

I see where you're coming from. But not having a press conference is like not talking about the huge elephant in the room. Just imagine some of the things that would be said if he didn't address the media:

Crabs is too pu55y to man up to his mistakes.
Crabs must be hiding something.
etc

If Singletary had said he wasn't allowing him to meet the press (like he did his coaches in the preseason), we wouldn't have questioned it. Still, it's probably not that big of a deal, though I think it could have been handled better.

I think that this was Singletary actually helping this young man deal with something that might be uncomfortable but actually neccessary and important. It seemed like Singletary was almost father--like like when he came forward and said last question to the media. Damn I like Singletary's approach and that man gets it said.
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:

I think that this was Singletary actually helping this young man deal with something that might be uncomfortable but actually neccessary and important. It seemed like Singletary was almost father--like like when he came forward and said last question to the media. Damn I like Singletary's approach and that man gets it said.

I think you're absolutely right and I think Singletary will have a major impact on Crabtree's life going forward. This experience appears to have been a significant one in young Crabtree's life (Sh!t, I sound like a Jedi), and it's the perfect time for him to be molded by a father-figure and leader like Singletary. I still think the press conference at this particular time was possibly more detrimental than beneficial, but I don't question that Singletary is trying to do what's best for Crabtree.
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:

I agree with you...Sing realizes he is dealing with a young man in a huge situation. Crabtree manned up and faced the media after doing a fine job of avoiding them for months.
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
lol, was that MM who asked that last question,

"Mike [Crabtree], what kind of role did Hammer have in this?"

(burst of laughter from the other reporters, even Singletary cracked a grin, couldn't see Crabs, but he probably chuckled as well)

Was Crabs even born when "Can't Touch This" came out?

Now this is all I got to say to them j-e-t-s, CAN'T TOUCH THIS (crabtree)

[ Edited by elbolitas49ers on Oct 7, 2009 at 16:57:13 ]
Singletary will take care of Crabtree & set him on the right course for this team.
he did look nervous as hell. crabs isn't good at public speaking/interviews yet. a lot of guys aren't at first.

on another note, check out the video of singletary mic'd up for week 4. it's below the crabtree video. funny as hell. when bly got hurt and he was on the ground, "get up youngblood, he from the hood he'll be alright." Singletary keepin it real. haha.
Originally posted by sacniner:
he did look nervous as hell. crabs isn't good at public speaking/interviews yet. a lot of guys aren't at first.

on another note, check out the video of singletary mic'd up for week 4. it's below the crabtree video. funny as hell. when bly got hurt and he was on the ground, "get up youngblood, he from the hood he'll be alright." Singletary keepin it real. haha.

Crabtree will never be mistaken for a polished public speaker. He seemed very uncomfortable in the spotlight, which is what Mike Leach (Texas Tech HC) had said. He would rather do his speaking on the field.

• B650
  • Veteran

Yeah, he hates players getting hurt. He seemed to be upset by the fact that Jason Hill had a bunch of nagging injuries earlier this year. I wonder if that's part of the reason why Gore wasn't named a captain. He seems to always hurt his ankles.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
What caught my eye was when he refered to himself as "michael crabtree" when he was talking about his cousin saying he would sit out the year

Yes, go on.

I think he's trying to say that some people like to refer to themselves in 3rd person such as Ricky Henderson. If Crabs is as good in football as Ricky was in baseball, I think we would take it.

at morgan when he dropped the long pass. "it came down like a punt."
I was getting annoyed with him calling the media "man" before every response. At least PRETEND that you're a respectful kid. He even called the female reporter "man".

Grow up bud

Nope. If he didnt do the PC then everyone in here would benn calling him a diva. He needed to get in front of the fans and show the humbleness. Atleast he looks like he knew he was wrong for holing out. I say good on crabs part for that. Cuz like you say no one woulda been upset

I just hopes he makes this holdout worth it. Otherwise 2 fingers.
Share 49ersWebzone