There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our cornerback stats

I dont see any activity on Spencer's side! It would be awesome if the Stat guys really broke down his playing time of him just shutting down Fitz, and all the others. I mean under 100 yards receiving on him in 4 games is Pro Bowl like.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Is there a website that shows how many passes are thrown a corners way, how many are caught, defended, etc...

I would be really intertested to see how Shawntee Spencer stacks up against others in the league.

Yup ProFootballFocus

They analyze every single play by every single player.

They have Nate ranked #5 and Spencer #10 through 3 games

Nate ~
Stops: 5
Thrown At: 24
Receptions Against: 10
Yards Against: 111
TD's Allowed: 3
INT's: 1
Passes Defensed: 4

Spencer ~
Stops: 3
Thrown At: 14
Receptions Against: 7
Yards Against: 91
TD's Allowed: 0
INT's: 1
Passes Defensed: 0

FYI: Most don't agree with their grading system but their stats are MUCH more accurate then even NFL.com's "official stats."

By this analysis, I'd say Spencer has done a better job. Giving up touchdowns is the most important part, and Shawntae does not do that. That is not in his vocabulary.

to be fair, Clements is usually guarding the other teams best receiver.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I dont see any activity on Spencer's side! It would be awesome if the Stat guys really broke down his playing time of him just shutting down Fitz, and all the others. I mean under 100 yards receiving on him in 4 games is Pro Bowl like.

He hasn't been thrown at that much, true.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Careful now! It's a CB's job not to give up TD's like it's an OLB's job to get sacks. This could get ugly fast. Haha.

ugh, no....that is not the "job" of either position...

every single position on defense has the same job, get the ball back into the hands of the offense without allowing the other team to score....

what you mention are certain duties associated with getting the job done..
Originally posted by ninertico:
Just for kicks, guys, take a look at the 3-4 stats. Justin Smith leads the pack of all 3-4 DLs.

haralson is the 2nd in OLB too
Spencer's play has been damn good. And you can't forget Bly's game either.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Just for kicks, guys, take a look at the 3-4 stats. Justin Smith leads the pack of all 3-4 DLs.

and best in pass rushing for all OLB

umm but this does raise the question if we are rushing the QB and have good CB stats then why is our pass D so bad?

umm but this does raise the question if we are rushing the QB and have good CB stats then why is our pass D so bad?

10th is bad? And I'm sure the opponents' pass yards per play is even better than that considering that the ARI and SEA are pass first teams who were behind the the game, same for St. Louis and minnesota.

EDIT: Yep, we're 5th in Y/A

[ Edited by Schulzy on Oct 6, 2009 at 18:50:46 ]
Originally posted by Schulzy:

10th is bad? And I'm sure the opponents' pass yards per play is even better than that considering that the ARI and SEA are pass first teams who were behind the the game, same for St. Louis and minnesota.

without counting the rams i think we were the 20th or something

without counting the rams i think we were the 20th or something

Not for nothing, but the Rams are on the schedule. They still count as an NFL team. Can't fault them for getting business done (and I'll need to see they were 20th after week 3 and jumped up to 10.)

They should have a "passing yards per DRIVE" stat.

Yard per drive, points per drive etc, seems like a sensible way to track how effective a defense is overall.

I bet we have a top 3 defense in yards/points per drive.