LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

That fake sweep and quick toss to the running back in the original direction!?!?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
I think it was the second time this season I saw a strange play like this... so Shaun Hill fakes the hand off with the Guards pulling as if they are running a sweep... Hill instantaneously turns around and throws back to the running back where they originally faked going to?

I think I might be missing something.. aren't you supposed to just fake one way and go another? If they succeed in the play fake... why go to the same side they faked going to in the first place? Am I missing something or was that a broken play or what? cuz I think I saw it for the second time this season...
That's the best kind of misdirection: Even us fans are bewildered on where it's suppose to go.
They're a trying to get the defense to bite, or even hesitate for just a second, therefore getting the step on the D.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
They're a trying to get the defense to bite, or even hesitate for just a second, therefore getting the step on the D.

Hmmm... that kinda makes sense....but that's an awful lot of work and potential complication for the effort.....you might fake the D so bad that they'd get close enough to the running back and get an interception by accident....

I dunno... wouldn't a play action fake and a toss to the other side with an option to run be good.... I don't see those enough these days..
That is to keep the safeties honest. If the Oline did its job, then the RB goes into the secondary being a half step ahead of the safeties.

And/Or

It can set up for a play when they eventually go to the sweep
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
That's the best kind of misdirection: Even us fans are bewildered on where it's suppose to go.

Yeah.. or maybe Hill had the supernatural ability to determine in that nanosecond that the D did not bite on the fake handoff so he did a quick 180 to throw it to the same side...
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
I love this. Look at what this man can do with "lets be honest" very limited offencive options. Just think about it and break down our guys and compare them to other positions around the leage and think about our playcalling and how frustrating it has been to other teams mentally and physically to other teams defensives. Look back at Rolles responce after week one. I wish I had a link. We left his mind in shambles that game. I love what he is doing with this offence.
  • Imfasterrthanurr
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Jd925:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Yeah.. or maybe Hill had the supernatural ability to determine in that nanosecond that the D did not bite on the fake handoff so he did a quick 180 to throw it to the same side...

• Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:
That is to keep the safeties honest. If the Oline did its job, then the RB goes into the secondary being a half step ahead of the safeties.

And/Or

It can set up for a play when they eventually go to the sweep

That makes some sense too... but the throw is so quick you really will just gain a split second pause from the safeties and the better fake you make the more likely the play will be broken up.. it's not even easy to execute that pass and catch and again someone who bites on the fake may end up accidentally intercepting or breaking up the play more easily...

I prefer having one hard fake or misdirection and going to the other side... the potential for a really good fake is much greater and it's easier to execute... like a naked bootleg ... I don't see enough of these kinds of plays especially from the 49ers...
Originally posted by Jd925:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Hmmm... that kinda makes sense....but that's an awful lot of work and potential complication for the effort.....you might fake the D so bad that they'd get close enough to the running back and get an interception by accident....

I dunno... wouldn't a play action fake and a toss to the other side with an option to run be good.... I don't see those enough these days..

No it doesn't. Nothing Jimmy Raye does makes sense.

As long as Jimmy Raye keeps opening up the offense as the year goes along.
Share 49ersWebzone