There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is our linebacker core the best in the league (combined LB's)

Is our linebacker core the best in the league (combined LB's)

It is almost impossible to have the best lineback core in the NFL when you run a 3-4 defense and you don't have a sack master like James Harrison, Demarcus Ware, or whoever. Haralson is good but he is far from the premier WOLB. As good as Lawson, pass rushing is not his strength, at least he has yet to prove otherwise. If Patrick Willis, being special, can get 10+ sacks for the season then maybe there is an argument.

It is impossible to have the best offense without a premier QB, the best secondary without a shut-down corner, or the best receiving corps without a true number one receiver.

[ Edited by littleken on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:18:34 ]
Dude our linebackers are getting there! Willis is by far the best in the league. Spikes is a great veteran, who had a history of never staying healthy. I believe he started all last year. And our OLB's are coming around. Manny is showing pass rush ability
Anyone who plays the Rams looks like the best in the league; but, we are very good too...
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Anyone who plays the Rams looks like the best in the league; but, we are very good too...

Yup good point
I would argue that we have the best LB in the game right now in Willis. I don't know I can make that claim about our entire core. Time will tell. Looks like it's finally starting to come together on so many different parts of our defense.
i say our LB core is top 5...
but with mediocre Lawson Spike and hardly unproven Mckillop... i wouldn't say best in NFL just Yet. Only one person deserving on our team i can say... and that's Mr. Willis!
Lawson- average
Spikes- average
Willis- HOF
Haralson- average

Willis is what makes the LB core what it is. You could replace any other man. Ray Lewis would be the only guy who could replace Willis without a significant dropoff. The other guys dont need to be great they just need to play their rolls and not make mistakes which is what they have done so far. Deffinately top 5 LB core (hard to compare 3-4 with 4-3).
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Ware
Tckls. / Sacks.
16 / 0

Lawson
Tckls. / Sacks
23 / .5

Why does everybody think demarcus ware is playing better?? why would you rather have demarcus ware? i think Manny Lawson plays the best against the run and is just as good as anyone in the nfl.... i don't care if he doesn't have as many sacks as the best pass rushers..... manny is the reason we are so great against the run.... i believe we got a great linebacker core.... i wouldn't change anybody on it... we're solid

That's like posting Ed Reed's stats this year next to Mark Roman then saying I'd rather have Mark Roman. You know Ed Reed doesn't have a pick so far this year why would you want him? He's not a ballhawk.

Demarcus Ware is the best pass rushing outside linebacker in football. That being said if we grabbed Ware he'd take Haralson's job not Lawson's so I really don't see the comparision here. They play different roles in the defense.

if mark roman were playing better ball than ed reed... why in the hell would you want ed reed????? because of his name??? i really don't care what these guys have done in the past... its all about now and so far we got a damn good defense...... oh yea and i also noted lawson had half a sack more than ware.... lawson and ware do have different roles. but i would say that lawson is doing a better job with ware's role and his own role, wouldn't you agree? .......i guess you could say either haralson or lawson are doing their job better than ware...so AGAIN. i would rather keep our linebackers... We're solid

[ Edited by TexasNiner84 on Oct 6, 2009 at 11:33:57 ]
Ware
Tckls. / Sacks.
16 / 0

Lawson
Tckls. / Sacks
23 / .5

Why does everybody think demarcus ware is playing better?? why would you rather have demarcus ware? i think Manny Lawson plays the best against the run and is just as good as anyone in the nfl.... i don't care if he doesn't have as many sacks as the best pass rushers..... manny is the reason we are so great against the run.... i believe we got a great linebacker core.... i wouldn't change anybody on it... we're solid

That's like posting Ed Reed's stats this year next to Mark Roman then saying I'd rather have Mark Roman. You know Ed Reed doesn't have a pick so far this year why would you want him? He's not a ballhawk.

Demarcus Ware is the best pass rushing outside linebacker in football. That being said if we grabbed Ware he'd take Haralson's job not Lawson's so I really don't see the comparision here. They play different roles in the defense.

if mark roman were playing better ball than ed reed... why in the hell would you want ed reed????? because of his name??? i really don't care what these guys have done in the past... its all about now and so far we got a damn good defense...... oh yea and i also noted lawson had half a sack more than ware.... lawson and ware do have different roles. but i would say that lawson is doing a better job with ware's role and his own role, wouldn't you agree? .......i guess you could say either haralson or lawson are doing their job better than ware...so AGAIN. i would rather keep our linebackers... We're solid

The most insane comment ever. Ed Reed has been a great player for a while. He is still consider a great player unless proven otherwise. 4 games would never be enough to prove that he is no longer the same player. We can say the same thing for Ware. At this point if both Haralson and Ware are on the free agent, we have to bet that Ware will get a much bigger contract. Ware is a proven star.
I like Seattle's. They're just injured right now.

Hill - Tatupu - Curry
I think we have the best set of MLB's in the league, but we could use some more help on the outside.

Its hard to rank our overall corp, but I think we have argument to be top 5.
Originally posted by littleken:
Ware
Tckls. / Sacks.
16 / 0

Lawson
Tckls. / Sacks
23 / .5

The most insane comment ever. Ed Reed has been a great player for a while. He is still consider a great player unless proven otherwise. 4 games would never be enough to prove that he is no longer the same player. We can say the same thing for Ware. At this point if both Haralson and Ware are on the free agent, we have to bet that Ware will get a much bigger contract. Ware is a proven star.

nobody said he was falling off... but at the same time you guys are not giving our players enough credit... you treat these players like if they're gods and there's no way our guys could even touch them....they may be pro bowl players... but our guys are not too far off.... all im saying is don't sleep on our players (never thought i would be saying that to a fellow niner) we got a good defense until proven otherwise. why can't people just accept that we have one of the best defenses in the league?
I do not understand all the hate for Manny Lawson, he is one of the best OLB's in football right now and he is THE BEST as setting the edge in football. He is just as big a reason for our toughness against the run as Willis is. Manny Lawson is a beast who OC'S have to gameplan a runblocking scheme against bc if u don't account for him he will find ur RB. Is he great as a pure passrusher? No but Manny Lawson is more than average and is a straight out stud against the run and in coverage, open ur eyes people this game is not only about sacks and pressures by forcing a team to be one dimensional(I.E not letting them run) u force their hand and allow ur defense to control the tempo of the game.

As far as I am concerned they were LAST YEAR as well. Because let's be honest. It was our DEFENSE that carried this team from midseason last year right up to the current season record.

And they did it with less of a Pass Rush last season. There is something to be said for simplifying the Defensive playbook. We were maybe one or two guys away from the Hybrid 3-4 that Nolan tried to run, but had the guys for a straight 3-4 package all along. Yes sometimes we run hybrid, but that is only to confuse the Offense and used sparingly. I think the signing of TKO was the cherry on top of that Sundae. Because he allows Bam Bam to seek and destroy the Ball carrier with little worry to what the other guy in the Middle may have screwed up.

This unit allow allows the DB corps to play fast and loose with their ears pinned back.

I can't think of another LB Corps that has THAT much of an impact on their Defensive performance.

Both Indy and Chicago USED to be that way. Baltimore is still solid but they've had time to grow into their identity and they perform to it.

But this LB Corps of ours is having that kind of an impact pretty much right out of the gate short of the couple of season ending injuries that hit them early. Adversity is nothing new, and I would be remiss if I did not point out that they seem to thrive on it.

Hell it would be hard for me to remember another 9er LB Corps that was as punishing between the '94 season and now. I would have a REAL hard time picking a favorite of the two even.

~Ceadder

*Edit* Uuuuuuuhhhp almost forgot the Giants. They have a solid LB Corps so I should give them props, but they aren't our 49ers LB Corps. I think that our is slightly better than theirs. Not that I'm biased or anything.*ediT*

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:23:40 ]
We have one of the best LB corps in the NFL. It is the strength of our defense and at least on par with anyone elses.