LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Baas and Rachal

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Singletary to meet with OL coach

Quote:
Coach Mike Singletary made it clear this would be a tough week for guards David Baas and Chilo Rachal. Singletary did not mention them by name, but he praised the other three offensive linemen while saying he planned to meet with line coach Chris Foerster to figure out some things. Pressed for details, Singletary said he needed to find out whether Baas had recovered from the foot injury he suffered during training camp, alluding to how offensive linemen tend to downplay injuries.

I think its clear that these two have really struggled in the beginning of the season both in run blocking and pass protection. I still remember Dockett manhandling Rachal most of the day. There was even a play yesterday where Baas completely whiffed on a block on a screen for Coffee.

I wonder what Singletary plans on doing? Maybe starting Wragge or even moving Pashos to G- I know the Jags did it during preseason.
those 2 have been horrible
I still remember a quote from McCloughan regarding Guards when they didn't resign Smiley. It was something like "You can find Guards." I hope he has a plan to address this since its so easy to find them- hopefully good ones.
I don't expect much from Baas, never have, and you shouldn't either, but Rachal's drop off has been unexpected. Sing needs to direct some of his motivational mojo on him. Rachal should be much better than what he's shown this season so far.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
I don't expect much from Baas, never have, and you shouldn't either, but Rachal's drop off has been unexpected. Sing needs to direct some of his motivational mojo on him. Rachal should be much better than what he's shown this season so far.

Exactly my thoughts.
Baas was constantly being pushed backwards and even knocked on his arse a few times. Not sure if he's still hurt or if he just sucks, but he needs to switch things up real quick.
rachal needs to step his game up.

what we need to do is stop with the turnstyle subs at RT. i feel that it does affect rachal because of who hes playing next to. there is not continuity and no way to understand the tendencies when the RT is continuously switched out.
Singletary quotes from 49ers.com

Quote:
On whether he’s thinking about personnel changes on the offensive line:
“It could. Hopefully not. Hopefully, we’re able to work it out because we do feel that our best five guys are on the field, but if it comes to that, it could. But, right now, hopefully not.”

On whether he is unhappy with the offensive guards:
“I would just say that they did not play up to par. I know that whatever it is, we’ll just have to figure it out. [LG David] Baas could still be banged up a little bit. I don’t know. Sometimes, if you know a guy, when you’re playing on the offensive line, it’s just one of those things where, ‘Yes, I can go.’ But, at the same time, you’re not 100 percent. We’ll get to the bottom of it and find out exactly what it is because both of those guys, we have to have the whole offensive line in sync, and we’ll get there.”
Originally posted by j3xperience:
rachal needs to step his game up.

what we need to do is stop with the turnstyle subs at RT. i feel that it does affect rachal because of who hes playing next to. there is not continuity and no way to understand the tendencies when the RT is continuously switched out.

I still have faith in him...Baas, not so much.
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by fzrdave:

Exactly my thoughts.

Rachal's obvious weakness is pass protection. His run blocking shows flashes but it still is not enough.

He needs to get on it, the potential is there. Sing need to ride both of them this week at practice...

Rachal is awsome at run blocking but pass blocking needs work bass is pretty bad at both. With the second first round pick we should look for a RT (or the first pick if we cant land berry or mays) and maybe in 2nd or third we can find our upgrade over baas
I've never been "impressed" with Baas. Not sure why. But Rachal has completely regressed and that has disappointed me. Really thought he would take the next step, but he's pretty bad so far. We really need him to play better.
Rachal is pretty new to the game. I think you still have to like his physical attributes and there has been a constant rotation at right tackle, which isn't helping his development.
I was jus wonderin if anyone thinks the line coach should go
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Rachal is awsome at run blocking but pass blocking needs work bass is pretty bad at both. With the second first round pick we should look for a RT (or the first pick if we cant land berry or mays) and maybe in 2nd or third we can find our upgrade over baas

I don't know what game you are watching. He's had some flashes. Clearly not awesome.
Share 49ersWebzone