There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

For you stat junkies

Originally posted by fzrdave:
In a nutshell, those stats tell me the 9ers are heading in the right direction, but they still have a ways to go before they become an elite team, which also backs up my opinion about the team.

Do you really think there is a team in the league this year that completely outclasses the niners? I dont, I think the best team in the league by far has been the giants who are clearly not as talented as last year. I think if the niners keep it going they will be a serious post season opponent for any team in the league.
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
thats pretty impressive defensive stats. if only our offense would show the same promise...

Yeah, we would have had 60 points on the Rams if our offense wouldve moved the ball !
Defense A
Offense C+
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by fzrdave:
In a nutshell, those stats tell me the 9ers are heading in the right direction, but they still have a ways to go before they become an elite team, which also backs up my opinion about the team.

Do you really think there is a team in the league this year that completely outclasses the niners? I dont, I think the best team in the league by far has been the giants who are clearly not as talented as last year. I think if the niners keep it going they will be a serious post season opponent for any team in the league.

I think that there are a few teams that could give us a good run:
1. Saints
2. Giants
3. Patriots
4. Ravens
5. Colts

Those are the elite teams ^^

I think we can stay with:
1. Philadelphia
2. Minnesota
3. Atlanta
4. Cowboys
5. Broncos

-9fA
After the niners performance in week 4 I thought I'd put together a list of the niners stats that I find most impressive.

Defense

0 Rushing Touchdowns NFL Rank - 1
4 Defensive Touchdowns. NFL Rank - 1
53 Points Allowed NFL Rank - 2
3.1 Yards Per Rush NFL Rank - 4
11 Sacks. NFL Rank - 5
5 Interceptions. NFL Rank - 6
73.8 RushY/G NFL Rank - 6

Offense

102 Total Points NFL Rank - 6
+ 5 Turnover Ratio NFL Rank - 4

These Ranks get me very excited for the rest of the season because these are the statistics I consider to be the most vital for a teams success and thus far we are in the top 10 in all of them. Depending on Minnesota's performance tonight these rankings could all go up. Post your thoughts.

P.S. I dont know if anyone heard but Dieon Sanders went out of his way to mention on 2 different segments that Michael Crabtree is coming. Once on his own segment called Primetime and the other on NFL Gameday. Both can be viewed on NFL.com.

WOW! I mean WOW if you asked me I would have said most of these would be top 10-15 never would have guessed multible #1's!!!!!!! The D is top notch and soon will be mentioned w/the Ravens and Steelers as the best D in the NFL give it 1 more season. The offense just needs a couple things and Crabtree is one of them!
Originally posted by BobS:
Total offensive yards per game 264.0 rank 28th, not impressive. You can thank the defense providing good field position for those 102 points. If the offense doesn't get it
going soon we will be in trouble.

You give credit where credit is due, the offense is scoring when they have to, scoring in the second half, and they are winning.
However they are with a new HC new OC and the fact that there is not 1 new starter on the offense hurts them. I think the fact that they are 9th in the league in scoring shows that they are getting better regardless of the field position the defense provides. Would you like them to start at the 10 yard line so they can rack up yards?

Scoring can be misleading though. Our defense and special teams scored 28 points so far this year. That's why the NFL uses yardage over scoring for it's official rankings. The reality is our offense has only put up 18 ppg not 25.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 5, 2009 at 16:40:33 ]
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Defense A
Offense C+

I'd give the offense a C- at best. They're below average which should give them a D, but the fact that it's been able to move the ball in crucial situations puts them at a C- for me.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
For Mike Singletary’s 49ers, things couldn’t be looking more up after his team’s 35-0 shellacking of the Rams that moved its record atop the NFC West to 3-1. For Steve Spagnuolo’s Rams, the outlook couldn’t be more down following his team’s second shutout loss in four games. If not for Vikings QB Brett Favre’s last-ditch TD toss to Greg Lewis in Week Three, the Niners would be a perfect 4-0. As it is, they have emerged as a seemingly dominant force within their division, already racking up early victories over each of their divisional opponents by a lopsided 78-26 margin. After registering their first shutout since the final game of the 2001 season, they have allowed fewer points through the first four games than the 2000 Ravens.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Defense A
Offense C+

I'd give the offense a C- at best. They're below average which should give them a D, but the fact that it's been able to move the ball in crucial situations puts them at a C- for me.

We shoulda been 4-0
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Defense A
Offense C+

We shoulda been 4-0

I've been reminded of that at least every day, today about every 10 minutes or so.
I see improvement. Each week we get better and better. We are not elite and we won't be for awhile. Yes the offense can be offensive at times look at who we have to work with. I'm happy. Now had we broke the bank and signed a bunch of free agents and blew up the offensive starting line-up I'd be POd. But I'm happy with what is being done.