There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

For you stat junkies

After the niners performance in week 4 I thought I'd put together a list of the niners stats that I find most impressive.

Defense

0 Rushing Touchdowns NFL Rank - 1
4 Defensive Touchdowns. NFL Rank - 1
53 Points Allowed NFL Rank - 2
3.1 Yards Per Rush NFL Rank - 4
11 Sacks. NFL Rank - 5
5 Interceptions. NFL Rank - 6
73.8 RushY/G NFL Rank - 6

Offense

102 Total Points NFL Rank - 6
+ 5 Turnover Ratio NFL Rank - 4

These Ranks get me very excited for the rest of the season because these are the statistics I consider to be the most vital for a teams success and thus far we are in the top 10 in all of them. Depending on Minnesota's performance tonight these rankings could all go up. Post your thoughts.

P.S. I dont know if anyone heard but Dieon Sanders went out of his way to mention on 2 different segments that Michael Crabtree is coming. Once on his own segment called Primetime and the other on NFL Gameday. Both can be viewed on NFL.com.

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Oct 5, 2009 at 13:12:22 ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Total offensive yards per game 264.0 rank 28th, not impressive. You can thank the defense providing good field position for those 102 points. If the offense doesn't get it
going soon we will be in trouble.
Originally posted by BobS:
Total offensive yards per game 264.0 rank 28th, not impressive. You can thank the defense providing good field position for those 102 points. If the offense doesn't get it

^^^ What he said ^^^

LB
Originally posted by BobS:

You give credit where credit is due, the offense is scoring when they have to, scoring in the second half, and they are winning.
However they are with a new HC new OC and the fact that there is not 1 new starter on the offense hurts them. I think the fact that they are 9th in the league in scoring shows that they are getting better regardless of the field position the defense provides. Would you like them to start at the 10 yard line so they can rack up yards?

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Oct 5, 2009 at 13:20:54 ]
thats pretty impressive defensive stats. if only our offense would show the same promise...
I look at 3 other's on top of what you have. Sacks, YPC, and TOP for the O...

Sacks were the 2nd worst team in the NFL.

YPC were tied for 17th. Not horrible but still below average.

TOP for the O were 11th with 31:03. Anything above 30:00 is good in my book...

These 3 point to the obvious O line problems we have.
Total Offensive yards per game ranked 28th is probably due to our offence that cant sustain drives and leaving our defence out to dry. This should improve after our bye week.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I look at 3 other's on top of what you have. Sacks, YPC, and TOP for the O...

Sacks were the 2nd worst team in the NFL.

YPC were tied for 17th. Not horrible but still below average.

TOP for the O were 11th with 31:03. Anything above 30:00 is good in my book...

These 3 point to the obvious O line problems we have.

The O line is definatly the weak spot on the team, they do need there receivers to get open more frequently and I think that the sack numbers will drop and yards per carry will increase before the end of the season.
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Total Offensive yards per game ranked 28th is probably due to our offence that cant sustain drives and leaving our defence out to dry. This should improve after our bye week.

I really dont think Singletary trusts the receivers to get open on third down, that is my opinion. The fact that we are not running the ball that well and still winning games is a nice little back hand to Crabtree's retarded agent who thought the niners would not be able to compete without him. Im happy with the performance thus far and think it will be directly responsible for Crabtree signing this week or next.
Yeah the o-line isn't playing up to expectations. We have only been able to run the ball in one game so far this year. Our offensive strategy is built to run the ball but Jimmy has had to adjust his gameplan every game. If our o-line would play better we would be 4-0 and have the best defense in the league in most stats.
I'm loving those stats for this team & hope the offense continues to get better as the season progresses. Go 49ers!
I reallty think it will just take another game or two for the offense to get in rhythm. I feel like the playcalling against St. Louis was a little more creative, and will continue to get opened up as the season progresses.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

102 Total Points NFL Rank - 6
+ 5 Turnover Ratio NFL Rank - 4

Uh...that's a bit misleading right there.
THe 102 points that is.

We had 3 defensive touchdowns in the last game alone.
I think we have at least 28 points that have come from the defense.

[ Edited by scopur49er on Oct 5, 2009 at 13:47:05 ]
The 4 defensive TDs still go towards the points per game and point total which in turn is listed under offense. Dont nitpick the stats there are endless variables to every single one of them.

[ Edited by RichmondPete on Oct 5, 2009 at 13:54:12 ]
In a nutshell, those stats tell me the 9ers are heading in the right direction, but they still have a ways to go before they become an elite team, which also backs up my opinion about the team.