There are 237 users in the forums

My apologies on Aubrayo Franklin, and Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been a very harsh critic of these two players during the off-season, and I feel I need to apologize to the Zone, and especially those who have supported Lawson and Franklin.

I am foolish for calling Lawson a "bust", and calling Franklin's head to be cut! Because after 4 games, I believe these two players are the unsung heroes of the defense. They're playing at such a high-level with Lawson in run/pass support, and Franklin keeping defenders off of Willis.

Mods, lock this if you want. I just had to put it out there!

TOP 5 D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i know they are doing so good i dont see the need to get a NT anymore but our FS play has been better but not great so im still hoping for berry

"Apology accepted, Captain Needa"
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i know they are doing so good i dont see the need to get a NT anymore but our FS play has been better but not great so im still hoping for berry

I'm starting to feel this way also, because Franklin has definitely solidified himself as THE NT for this team, but it would still be good to have that depth at NT!
you gotta have depth at the nt position def when franklin is gonna be 30 next yr. fs is a need especially if berry is on the board. im so happy for lawson hes finally turning out to be a stud and even though the sacks arent there dude is always disrupting the qb's timing and very good against the run. skies the limit with this d
  • dj43
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
you gotta have depth at the nt position def when franklin is gonna be 30 next yr. fs is a need especially if berry is on the board. im so happy for lawson hes finally turning out to be a stud and even though the sacks arent there dude is always disrupting the qb's timing and very good against the run. skies the limit with this d

Franklin's age is not so much of an issue because he didn't play a lot until last year. Now that Singletary has changed his role to suit his skill set, he has become very effective. His ability to penetrate a single gap instead of just using blockers, allows others to make plays.

It is just the result of a coach putting a player in a position to succeed instead of trying to fit him into a "system."
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Franklin's age is not so much of an issue because he didn't play a lot until last year. Now that Singletary has changed his role to suit his skill set, he has become very effective. His ability to penetrate a single gap instead of just using blockers, allows others to make plays.

It is just the result of a coach putting a player in a position to succeed instead of trying to fit him into a "system."

You know... Willis said in an interview yesterday after the game....that he credits his success a lot to his teamates and singled out Aubrayo Franklin, and said that he's one of the better NTs in this league, but just doesnt get credit for it.

I don't know how much that means from an outisde perspective, but coming from a guy like Willis, to me that says a lot.
nolan bringing in aubrayo was actually a good move. who woulda thought
  • dj43
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
nolan bringing in aubrayo was actually a good move. who woulda thought

The irony is that Nolan brought him in but put him in a system that did not utilize his skill set. Singletary noticed the difference and made the change as soon as Nolan left and now we see what the guy can do. Strange how things work sometimes.
We need to draft offensive lineman before anything.

After Nolan had gone, it was clear to see that once Franklyn settled into one role and played regularly at it, he had a good chance of becoming a good player.
Me too. I will eat crow about these 2 guys. But lets keep it real. I would say both of them are having career years...and their performances up to this season really did warrant some criticism
Originally posted by danimal:
Me too. I will eat crow about these 2 guys. But lets keep it real. I would say both of them are having career years...and their performances up to this season really did warrant some criticism

exactly, with Lawson being a 1st rounder I expected a lot more from him than just being a "coverage lb", and he's proven a lot, he's stays sound in run support, and he anticipates plays like a true veteran.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I've been a very harsh critic of these two players during the off-season, and I feel I need to apologize to the Zone, and especially those who have supported Lawson and Franklin.

I am foolish for calling Lawson a "bust", and calling Franklin's head to be cut! Because after 4 games, I believe these two players are the unsung heroes of the defense. They're playing at such a high-level with Lawson in run/pass support, and Franklin keeping defenders off of Willis.

Mods, lock this if you want. I just had to put it out there!

TOP 5 D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least you had the sack to say it...there's many more owed than just you

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
We need to draft offensive lineman before anything.

+1

Hopefully their play allows us to go oline in next year's draft first.
Share 49ersWebzone