LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Our Running Formations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Has anyone noticed our Running formations NEVER vary?? We run out of I -formation with 2 WR's and a TE. One of the WR motions down to the weak side of the line and we run it straight up the gut usually....... And the result is usually not very good. Why the hell haven't they tried to run out of varying formations?? I don't think I've seen us run it out of a single back set once this season? It's just I-formation and up the back of the O-linemen. Has anyone else noticed this?
i honestly think we need to pass first to open up the run next game...running against defenses who continually stack the box will result in much of the same no matter what formation we run in. The occasional deep pass isn't cutting it.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
i honestly think we need to pass first to open up the run next game...running against defenses who continually stack the box will result in much of the same no matter what formation we run in. The occasional deep pass isn't cutting it.

One thing I don't understand is why doesn't Hill audible when he see's 9 people stacked in the box against him??
Originally posted by jays9ers:

One thing I don't understand is why doesn't Hill audible when he see's 9 people stacked in the box against him??

Maybe the coaches don't allow him to audible?
  • Silky
  • Veteran

Maybe he's allergic to audibles
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

Anyone else also notice that it's even really hard to run a play action with 9 in the box? Most of the LBs are coming on a run blitz already and they'e only a few steps away from Shaun Hill when he fakes the handoff. We gave up a couple of sacks runnin play action out of that formation yesterday.
Originally posted by Pogity:

Anyone else also notice that it's even really hard to run a play action with 9 in the box? Most of the LBs are coming on a run blitz already and they'e only a few steps away from Shaun Hill when he fakes the handoff. We gave up a couple of sacks runnin play action out of that formation yesterday.

ah the days of hostler and alex smith are coming to mind

We still need to develop our WCO short passing game, once we can get successful at this teams, will less likely stack 8 in the box and we can utilise our running weapons.
Also, I enjoyed watching the Steelers running game in this mornings early hours, a Tight End on each side of the line, explosive HB hits the hole and first down after first down. Rachal, PAshos/Snyder and Baas need to toughen up because their roles in this time, should on the line.

I like Rachal and think he'd have benefitted from an Oher type player next to him. We simply have to draft the best available tackle on board in Round 1 next year.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Also, I enjoyed watching the Steelers running game in this mornings early hours, a Tight End on each side of the line, explosive HB hits the hole and first down after first down. Rachal, PAshos/Snyder and Baas need to toughen up because their roles in this time, should on the line.

I like Rachal and think he'd have benefitted from an Oher type player next to him. We simply have to draft the best available tackle on board in Round 1 next year.

Oh why didn't we draft Oher Instead we got cashtree...

We still need to develop our WCO short passing game, once we can get successful at this teams, will less likely stack 8 in the box and we can utilise our running weapons.

I am sorry, but the WCO and what we run are two different things. We don't run the WCO.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I am sorry, but the WCO and what we run are two different things. We don't run the WCO.

But it's clear to see at times, that the passing game isn't working deep, with further development of a short passing game in a WCO style, we will be more successful.

Hill has no time to throw the football
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Did not see much of that formation when Frank was in now it's all I've seen.

Coffee can't handle another formation?
Originally posted by Stevec9932:

Hill has no time to throw the football

Can't run b/c box is stacked

Can't pass because box is stacked

What's your suggestion? Keep running for 2 yards a pop? That won't work against a good offense and don't use the Cardinals as an excuse.
Share 49ersWebzone