There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Peter King says Jerry Rice is not the best WR in history

I've had nothing but respect for King's articles and opinions over the years. Upon hearing this, the respect is gone. What the hell is a matter with you pete?!

[ Edited by mandy49er on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:36:58 ]
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
This may sound like a racial comment but Hutson didn't play against any Black corners and the league wasn't intergrated back then so I have a HARD time believing he was the greatest!

Well, you could formulate the question differently, which would skew the argument even further to Jerrys favor IMO:
Did Don Hutson play against any decent corner or DB, regardless of race?

That is kinda hard to answer, but I think this info should be a good starting point:

From Jerry Rice´s playings days, there are at least three DBs who are also in the Hall of Fame: Darell Green, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott. Technically you could even count Mike Haynes, although he was in the twilight of his career when Jerry entered the league. Yes, Ronnie Lott only played against Rice in practice, but that still means there were some of the best Defensive Backs of all time in the league at the same time as Jerry Rice, so he had some truly elite company to compete against.

That does not even account for the fact that arguably the best cover corner of all time, Deion Sanders, who played in the same era, is not even enshrined yet! (btw. shouldn´t Deion be eligible sometime soon now?)

Now compare the DBs from the Don Hutson era: …uhm…*cricket*…nope. None. The earliest CB enshrinee, Dick "Night Train" Lane, started playing seven years after Hutson retired.

As I said before, this is only a starting point and the question is kinda hard to answer. Don Hutson surely is the most influential receiver, because he kinda invented the position and I also think he gets a bit overlooked in the discussion of great receivers, but in my mind, Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time, period.

And yes, that means I believe Peter King is full of it

Although he'll never get into the Hall because he's so controversial, Deion Sanders in his prime was the best cover corner I've seen play. He hated to tackle, but he would shout down your fastest guy. Oh and if you made a mistake while throwing to his side, he had the speed to break it for a pick 6. Rice faced Deion most of his career.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 8, 2010 at 14:07:58 ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
This may sound like a racial comment but Hutson didn't play against any Black corners and the league wasn't intergrated back then so I have a HARD time believing he was the greatest!

Well, you could formulate the question differently, which would skew the argument even further to Jerrys favor IMO:
Did Don Hutson play against any decent corner or DB, regardless of race?

That is kinda hard to answer, but I think this info should be a good starting point:

From Jerry Rice´s playings days, there are at least three DBs who are also in the Hall of Fame: Darell Green, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott. Technically you could even count Mike Haynes, although he was in the twilight of his career when Jerry entered the league. Yes, Ronnie Lott only played against Rice in practice, but that still means there were some of the best Defensive Backs of all time in the league at the same time as Jerry Rice, so he had some truly elite company to compete against.

That does not even account for the fact that arguably the best cover corner of all time, Deion Sanders, who played in the same era, is not even enshrined yet! (btw. shouldn´t Deion be eligible sometime soon now?)

Now compare the DBs from the Don Hutson era: …uhm…*cricket*…nope. None. The earliest CB enshrinee, Dick "Night Train" Lane, started playing seven years after Hutson retired.

As I said before, this is only a starting point and the question is kinda hard to answer. Don Hutson surely is the most influential receiver, because he kinda invented the position and I also think he gets a bit overlooked in the discussion of great receivers, but in my mind, Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time, period.

And yes, that means I believe Peter King is full of it

First off RICE IS THE BEST! That said, I think that the quality in corners in Rice's Era was offset by the advantage corners had in Hudson's era. There was no Illegal contact or pass interference, the db's were allowed to mug the receivers.
If Rice had played for the Giants, Eagles, 'Skins or another prominent East Coast team, King would be singing a different tune. As good a reporter as he is in many other respects, he's an East Coast homer and always will be. He's in the very distinct minority of reporters who don't believe Rice is the best of all time.
Originally posted by KID9R:
First off RICE IS THE BEST! That said, I think that the quality in corners in Rice's Era was offset by the advantage corners had in Hudson's era. There was no Illegal contact or pass interference, the db's were allowed to mug the receivers.

Although this is true with what the defenses got away with back then, the fact is, you can't name a great corner from that era. Rice isn't just the best because of numbers alone. The competition argument is the same one I use to argue why Joe Montana is better than Tom Brady. He faced the absolute greatest pass rushers and some of the greatest defenses to ever play the game.

To compare the competition Hutson faced to what the great receivers (including Jerry Rice) is laughable.
zilla...
Originally posted by RonMexico:
zilla...

wut wut

in da butt
Peter King, still mentally handicapped.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
zilla...

wut wut

in da butt

Originally posted by Winners:
Yeah, Pete Rose isn't the best hitter in baseball history because Ty Cobb had more of an impact on the game

Pete Rose ISN'T the best hitter in baseball history. Not even close. One of the most overrated players ever, yes.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Although he'll never get into the Hall because he's so controversial, Deion Sanders in his prime was the best cover corner I've seen play. He hated to tackle, but he would shout down your fastest guy. Oh and if you made a mistake while throwing to his side, he had the speed to break it for a pick 6. Rice faced Deion most of his career.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 8, 2010 at 14:07:58 ]

Rice hardly ever lined up against Deion. Deion usually covered the split end, which was usually John Taylor. Only in the 1993 49ers @ Falcons game did Deion cover Rice most of the game.
Love Jerry but Sanders owned him whenever they lined up.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame