There are 171 users in the forums

Peter King says Jerry Rice is not the best WR in history

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Peter King is a piece of sh!t!!!

nuff said..
Obviously his wife got banged by a Niner fan
This may sound like a racial comment but Hutson didn't play against any Black corners and the league wasn't intergrated back then so I have a HARD time believing he was the greatest!
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
This may sound like a racial comment but Hutson didn't play against any Black corners and the league wasn't intergrated back then so I have a HARD time believing he was the greatest!

Are there even any white corners in the league right now?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Are there even any white corners in the league right now?

Well, according to this (slightly odd) Facebook group, there are no white guys in the NFL playing exclusively corner, but there are a few Safeties and Safety/Corner Hybrid DBs:

Link

Well, you could formulate the question differently, which would skew the argument even further to Jerrys favor IMO:
Did Don Hutson play against any decent corner or DB, regardless of race?

That is kinda hard to answer, but I think this info should be a good starting point:

From Jerry Rice´s playings days, there are at least three DBs who are also in the Hall of Fame: Darell Green, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott. Technically you could even count Mike Haynes, although he was in the twilight of his career when Jerry entered the league. Yes, Ronnie Lott only played against Rice in practice, but that still means there were some of the best Defensive Backs of all time in the league at the same time as Jerry Rice, so he had some truly elite company to compete against.

That does not even account for the fact that arguably the best cover corner of all time, Deion Sanders, who played in the same era, is not even enshrined yet! (btw. shouldn´t Deion be eligible sometime soon now?)

Now compare the DBs from the Don Hutson era: …uhm…*cricket*…nope. None. The earliest CB enshrinee, Dick "Night Train" Lane, started playing seven years after Hutson retired.

As I said before, this is only a starting point and the question is kinda hard to answer. Don Hutson surely is the most influential receiver, because he kinda invented the position and I also think he gets a bit overlooked in the discussion of great receivers, but in my mind, Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time, period.

And yes, that means I believe Peter King is full of it

[ Edited by NoOffseason on Aug 2, 2010 at 10:18:18 ]
Originally posted by Chief:
Peter King is some fat moron that got raped by a priest and won a gray streak.

weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Who cares?

The whole raped by a priest thing is not cool...
Peter King knows as much about football as I do about water polo.
Dude has a right to his own opinion even though he's a douche bag and is totally WRONG...
all hail the masterful peter king

Peter King is the greatest piece of s**t
Let me chime in here:

Peter King is officially a f**king moron.

Stupidest thing i've ever heard anyone associated with the NFL say, period. Blows away Joe Namath telling Suzie Kolber he wanted to kiss her.
Jerry Rice is the greatest, the numbers say it and so does anyone who has seen him play. no one even comes close to JR. hes probably the best football player to play the game regardless of position. i do think there are people playing right now that could break some records and its happened already with some of them but for one man to amass so many top records in this game is just amazing. i think Andre Johnson is the most realistic person to surpass his yardage record but even he is a lot of years away from doing that and he would have to stay healthy and active for a long time. that being said, Rice is still the greatest and always will be.
I've had nothing but respect for King's articles and opinions over the years. Upon hearing this, the respect is gone. What the hell is a matter with you pete?!

[ Edited by mandy49er on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:36:58 ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NoOffseason:

Well, you could formulate the question differently, which would skew the argument even further to Jerrys favor IMO:
Did Don Hutson play against any decent corner or DB, regardless of race?

That is kinda hard to answer, but I think this info should be a good starting point:

From Jerry Rice´s playings days, there are at least three DBs who are also in the Hall of Fame: Darell Green, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott. Technically you could even count Mike Haynes, although he was in the twilight of his career when Jerry entered the league. Yes, Ronnie Lott only played against Rice in practice, but that still means there were some of the best Defensive Backs of all time in the league at the same time as Jerry Rice, so he had some truly elite company to compete against.

That does not even account for the fact that arguably the best cover corner of all time, Deion Sanders, who played in the same era, is not even enshrined yet! (btw. shouldn´t Deion be eligible sometime soon now?)

Now compare the DBs from the Don Hutson era: …uhm…*cricket*…nope. None. The earliest CB enshrinee, Dick "Night Train" Lane, started playing seven years after Hutson retired.

As I said before, this is only a starting point and the question is kinda hard to answer. Don Hutson surely is the most influential receiver, because he kinda invented the position and I also think he gets a bit overlooked in the discussion of great receivers, but in my mind, Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time, period.

And yes, that means I believe Peter King is full of it

First off RICE IS THE BEST! That said, I think that the quality in corners in Rice's Era was offset by the advantage corners had in Hudson's era. There was no Illegal contact or pass interference, the db's were allowed to mug the receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone