LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Willis in coverage

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I havent been able to watch all three games in thier entirety so im hoping someone whos seen every defensive snap can help me out. It seems that Patrick was a beast in pass coverage during the AZ game. However he seems to have gotten worse and worse with the Minnesota game being ...well not his best performance in coverage. He gave up some late passes on that last Favre drive and that Sidney Rice TD was on him. The only thing keeping him from being the truly dominant defensive force in this league seems to be his pass defense. Hes our best linebacker even in coverage (other than Manny) so to think of removing him on third downs is inconcievable.

But how far off the mark am i? I was hopin someone with more game access could hook it up.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????ROMAN

???what?? what about roman. who said anything about him? If you talkin about the Favre miracle touchdown even that wasnt Roman's fault. coverage broke down. Goldson wasnt quick enough.
Posters here in the zone thinks Willis can't do no wrong. He is one of the best defensive player in the league but he is far from greatness. He still has lots to learn. One thing that separates him to Ray Lewis is taking over a game when needed. I've seen Lewis makes game changing plays to win the game. I was hoping to see Willis to do the same vs the Vikes last week but it never happen. I hope he someday will take that step and be that guy, a playmaker indeed.
how you like willis coverage on that td int
Nice pick 6 by Mr. Willis, who was not supposed to be good in coverage.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Lucky I guess

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah Willis totally sucks in coverage.
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah Willis totally sucks in coverage.

Yup. I want him to suck one more time for 6 points.
The coaches and players read this site:

Manusky uses both Willis/Spikes to blitz = success
Raye actually passes a little bit AND let's Hill call one audible = success
Willis needs to work on play-recognition and coverage = success

PS: Did I see a 3 and 4 WR-set?
But if we take away all his sacks, tackles, and interceptions what has Willis really done??
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
But if we take away all his sacks, tackles, and interceptions what has Willis really done??

Yup. We should put Willis as the gunner in special teams.

I would like to see it on a more consistent basis. I want to see him make plays like that when they are protecting a lead to end and win the game. A scenario like last week against the Vikes.

Players develop and grow my man.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

I guess a lot of development happened in a matter of 24 hours
He's just terrible.
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

I guess a lot of development happened in a matter of 24 hours

Haha i had a feeling people would be all up with a buncha "I told you so" posts. Willis had a great game today. just like he did against the Cardinals. he didnt have a great game against the Seahawks and an even worse game against the Vikings (in terms of pass defense). But this performance of his is EXACTLY why im sayin Willis is still behind. Again like i said...this is the flash of Willis youll see once he completely pwns pass coverage. Dominant through and through. He just needs to be alot more consistent.

DAM it feels good to get this win! NINERS!!
Share 49ersWebzone