There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Defense and RB is what is winning games so far. QB has little to do with it.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
lol
Originally posted by teeohh:
lol

What's untrue about this? Plus it's too early. I can remember Alex LEAF being 2 - 1 before and everbody thinking he was the second coming.

When we are behind the coaches have Hill throwing the ball and regaining the lead.
The coaches do not have him on a leash, he has complete freedom to call audibles if he sees a better option. I voted I am happy with his performance, but that doesn't mean that I do not think we need a better QB. He just limits the offense in my opinion, it's not the offense limiting him. There is no problem with the wideouts, and play calling isn't a legitimate excuse, as Hill has the freedom to call audibles. So what does that leave? Hill just doesn't seem as confident as the starter as he did as the backup, I do not think he trusts his own skills enough to challenge the defenses down the field as often as we need need him to.
Originally posted by elguapo:
given our horrible line play and no real good wr's, he has EXCELLED. I doubt many....maybe 5 qb's could do a better job with this little time and wr's on our team than Hill. I think people need to use logic and understand this......If he was on a better OL with actual good #1 wr's, he would be headed to the pro bowl

Pro Bowl! Um, I know this is Niner Talk but we need to try to keep some contact with the real world.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Noodle arm is doing his thing. Doesn't look pretty but the guy just wins. Can't complain about that.
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I reaslly cant believe there is anyone on this board who is "happy" with Hill. The unfortunate truth is...Shaun Hill is not the answer. I have finally been to a game where he started to see it for myself (it happened to be the game the Seahawks game two weeks ago). To say it simply, Shaun Hill is "limited" and no I am not talking about the his ability / inability to throw the long ball.

Every game I have watched Hill play he has done some good things, but I always come away feeling (and usually yelling to who ever will listen) that we need a new QB bad. Hill crumbles when the slightest pressure is felt. His ability to create something out of nothing is the most glaring problem. In the game I saw against the Hawks, Hill threw some horrible passes. He had a wide open screen that he decided to throw sidearm (right into the DL). The pass everyone says Bruce dropped when he was wide open...go back and check the film the pass was a wobbly duck!

He alone can't win us a game, and will cause us to see many defenses that looked like last week with 8-11 guys on the line of scrimmage.

All I heard is blah, blah, blah, I just took a sh*t out of my mouth. If you can't enjoy the fact that we have a QB who can actually win us games (see win-loss record), then go root for another team. Give it a f*ckin rest.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

This comparison is incomplete. How many times in those three games did JT fumble the ball while being sacked.
Quote:
I doubt many....maybe 5 qb's could do a better job with this little time and wr's on our team than Hill.

So S. Hill is now being compared to the best QB's in the league huh? I mean I assume the 5 you have in mind include guys like Manning, Brady, Breezes etc?

Shaun Hill is a back up his entire 8 year career, until he comes to a team so void of talent that he gains the starting position almost by default, and now he is a world beater?

I sure hope the wheels don't fall off anytime soon, cause some people have gotten themselves to believe the players are MUCH better then they really are.

I personally don't see what others do. I consitently yell at the freakin TV almost to the point that I am hoarse after a game, and most times Hill's play has promted that yelling.

Hopefully our coaches and GM don't think like our fans do and get someone who has REAL potential in the offseason.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

JTO had more than one turnover in the first 3 games, didn't he?
Uhhh.. ya! the guy is 4th from the bottom in attempts and we are still 2-1. What else can you expect from the very predictable playcalling...
no he sucks.... he throws more interceptions than touchdowns..... its his fault we lost the viking game.... the 80 yard drive against the cards was all o-line and not him...... uh what else.......... and his arms look funny.

So the winning drive against the Tards was all running Backs, huh? The scoring 4th quarter drive against the Vikes was running too, huh? San Diego is suppose to be a happy place - why you're never happy dude?
He's been average at best but I think you're kidding yourself if you don't think our defense is the reason we're 2-1 almost 3-0 at the moment.

We're not in position to win the Cardinals or Vikings game if our defense doesn't play great defense like they did.

Last week the offense had a total of 3 whole drives that where more than 4 plays, 7 3 and outs, 2 4 play drives, a 1 play drive that ended in an INT, and 0 for 11 on 3rd down conversions.

That's a completely horrible stat line for an offense and it's a miracle that our defense did so well considering those conditions. Usually when an offense has a day like that it's a blow out.

With all that said I don't place the blame solely on Hill because I think everyone on the offense should share the blame but I don't think Shaun Hill is this great QB surrounded by terrible players. How can you praise a guy for the good things he does but than completely ignore the fact he was a complete non factor a majority of the time.

Again let me stress that I'm saying he's an average QB and not a bad one. There are times he shows flashes of brilliance but there are also times he looks ugly out there.

Let's try this novel concept of playing good for the WHOLE game and not just for one or two drives. Maybe with this concept of playing good the WHOLE game we don't need to have 4th quarter drives to win ballgames or not being able to exhale until the clock hits 0 and the game is over.