LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by TonyMantana:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I reaslly cant believe there is anyone on this board who is "happy" with Hill. The unfortunate truth is...Shaun Hill is not the answer. I have finally been to a game where he started to see it for myself (it happened to be the game the Seahawks game two weeks ago). To say it simply, Shaun Hill is "limited" and no I am not talking about the his ability / inability to throw the long ball.

Every game I have watched Hill play he has done some good things, but I always come away feeling (and usually yelling to who ever will listen) that we need a new QB bad. Hill crumbles when the slightest pressure is felt. His ability to create something out of nothing is the most glaring problem. In the game I saw against the Hawks, Hill threw some horrible passes. He had a wide open screen that he decided to throw sidearm (right into the DL). The pass everyone says Bruce dropped when he was wide open...go back and check the film the pass was a wobbly duck!

He alone can't win us a game, and will cause us to see many defenses that looked like last week with8-11 guys on the line of scrimmage.

I've seen that pass to Bruce 15+ times. Perfect pass? Not really. Should Bruce have caught it? Without question. Does Hill look like Manning on every play? On a single play even? Not even close. Does he get the job done when needed? Absolutely. Did he make the game winning drive against AZ? Yes. Did he do what he needed to when given a chance against MN? I believe so. Did he consistently eat huge chunks of time off the clock in each of the first 3 games (when he threw, not when the ball was out of his hands). He's 9-4 as a starter. This is with the niners. No no, not the niners of the 80s and early 90s...the niners of today. So today it's his team, and not him that generates wins, simply doesn't make sense. Who was it in '07? '08? This year. The difference between all those years and this year? Hill! When he plays we win. BTW, outside of this last game, Hill has been terrific on 3rd downs. Yeh, he throws sidearm and takes some sacks, but to say he doesn't make things happen is inaccurate. 1st down run vs AZ anyone???
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
he finishes too fast

WTF does that mean?

Originally posted by TonyMantana:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I reaslly cant believe there is anyone on this board who is "happy" with Hill. The unfortunate truth is...Shaun Hill is not the answer. I have finally been to a game where he started to see it for myself (it happened to be the game the Seahawks game two weeks ago). To say it simply, Shaun Hill is "limited" and no I am not talking about the his ability / inability to throw the long ball.

Every game I have watched Hill play he has done some good things, but I always come away feeling (and usually yelling to who ever will listen) that we need a new QB bad. Hill crumbles when the slightest pressure is felt. His ability to create something out of nothing is the most glaring problem. In the game I saw against the Hawks, Hill threw some horrible passes. He had a wide open screen that he decided to throw sidearm (right into the DL). The pass everyone says Bruce dropped when he was wide open...go back and check the film the pass was a wobbly duck!

He alone can't win us a game, and will cause us to see many defenses that looked like last week with 8-11 guys on the line of scrimmage.

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

The QB who played the best, regardless of stats. If the 1st QB's INT cost us the game, but he threw for 705 yards, while the INT by the QB who only had 548 yards was just a dropped ball in the 1st quarter, for example, I might go with the 2nd QB.

the difference is the 3rd game of the first 3. they both played the cards and seahawks, but hill had to play arguably the best D in the league in his 3rd game. JT? he played the 0-16 lions.

and it's not like this is hills first 3 games. he has already proven to be a consistent winner. somehow there's always an excuse as to WHY he won the game, but he just keeps winning.
Hill is doing enough to not lose games for us, but at some point he is going to have to step it up and get the ball to the wideouts. You guys can try to blame Raye for his play calling, but the fact is Hill is free to audible whenever he wants to, Singletary said as much. So keep on trying to throw the blame on someone else, but it comes back to Hill no matter where you try to deflect it to. To keep on blaming play calling is just ignorance when Hill is on the record as saying that he likes this offense better than Martz's because of the freedom it allows as far as audibles. Keep your heads buried in the sand as long as you like though, no point in trying to make a logical conclusion based on the facts.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
are you kidding me? how can anyone answer no to this question after what this franchise has been through the past 5 years?

hill has committed ONE turnover this season and has looked very good in the short-to-intermediate areas.

he is also 2-1 (and would be 3-0 if the coaches would actually let him be a qb instead of handing the ball off all the time when we're up).

you can say he doesn't have all the tools and you'd be right but we haven't seen qb play this good since jeff garcia, and that is a fact

Where tha F you been oooooohhhh say '06 and the first 2 games of '07?

You haven't seen a QB play at all if you missed that. Now I'm not sayin that Smith's the 2nd comin of anyone. I'm just sayin you had to be either blind or not watchin the games then...

OR

you're one of those Johnny come lately kinda fans. The kind that if it isn't done today, they won't even acknowledge it.

So which is it?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hill is doing enough to not lose games for us, but at some point he is going to have to step it up and get the ball to the wideouts. You guys can try to blame Raye for his play calling, but the fact is Hill is free to audible whenever he wants to, Singletary said as much. So keep on trying to throw the blame on someone else, but it comes back to Hill no matter where you try to deflect it to. To keep on blaming play calling is just ignorance when Hill is on the record as saying that he likes this offense better than Martz's because of the freedom it allows as far as audibles. Keep your heads buried in the sand as long as you like though, no point in trying to make a logical conclusion based on the facts.

Next thing you know they'll be blaming Alex for riding the pine and giving Hill an inferiority complex. lol

~Ceadder

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

The QB who played the best, regardless of stats. If the 1st QB's INT cost us the game, but he threw for 705 yards, while the INT by the QB who only had 548 yards was just a dropped ball in the 1st quarter, for example, I might go with the 2nd QB.

the difference is the 3rd game of the first 3. they both played the cards and seahawks, but hill had to play arguably the best D in the league in his 3rd game. JT? he played the 0-16 lions.

and it's not like this is hills first 3 games. he has already proven to be a consistent winner. somehow there's always an excuse as to WHY he won the game, but he just keeps winning.

You can't call FACTS excuses.

These are two facts of our season record to date.

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

Oh and guess what fact one actually bites Hill in the keester. The Defense didn't take the game over like they did the 1st two games. Coupled with bad officiating Hill couldn't overcome it. So we lost. Granted it was last minute but if Sing is spot on(I have to believe that he is) about Hill's ability to audible when he needs to, then it's time to find another excuse as to why Hill ain't getting it done.

You might look "Fact" up in the dictionary btw.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

Oh and guess what fact one actually bites Hill in the keester. The Defense didn't take the game over like they did the 1st two games. Coupled with bad officiating Hill couldn't overcome it. So we lost. Granted it was last minute but if Sing is spot on(I have to believe that he is) about Hill's ability to audible when he needs to, then it's time to find another excuse as to why Hill ain't getting it done.

~Ceadder

He's getting it done in the 4th quarter, which leads me to believe that a lot of it is due to the coaches. It seems that he only lets it loose in the 4th quarter when he has no choice but to. He seemed OK last year in Mike Martz' offense, so I don't think all of the blame can be placed on Hill. Maybe he just has to play like every quarter is the 4th quarter, then we might have something.

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

~Ceadder

What do you mean by not getting it done? We were down, he drove down the field and scored a TD. At that point the game was completely taken out of his hand. Or are you suggesting that when Sing and Reye say "run down the middle to run the time" Hill is allowed to Audible to a pass play??? I'm pretty sure that's not an audible situation.

given our horrible line play and no real good wr's, he has EXCELLED. I doubt many....maybe 5 qb's could do a better job with this little time and wr's on our team than Hill. I think people need to use logic and understand this......If he was on a better OL with actual good #1 wr's, he would be headed to the pro bowl
are you kidding me? how can anyone answer no to this question after what this franchise has been through the past 5 years?

hill has committed ONE turnover this season and has looked very good in the short-to-intermediate areas.

he is also 2-1 (and would be 3-0 if the coaches would actually let him be a qb instead of handing the ball off all the time when we're up).

you can say he doesn't have all the tools and you'd be right but we haven't seen qb play this good since jeff garcia, and that is a fact

Where tha F you been oooooohhhh say '06 and the first 2 games of '07?

You haven't seen a QB play at all if you missed that. Now I'm not sayin that Smith's the 2nd comin of anyone. I'm just sayin you had to be either blind or not watchin the games then...

OR

you're one of those Johnny come lately kinda fans. The kind that if it isn't done today, they won't even acknowledge it.

So which is it?

~Ceadder

the season where alex smith got us to an AWESOME 7-9 record while committing 21 turnovers with 18 touchdowns?

oh yeah, incredible performance by smith.

shaun hill isn't great in the grand scheme of things, but take jeff garcia away and he is the best qb we've had this decade.

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

~Ceadder

1. who drove the team 80 yards for the winning score in arizona? can't.... seem to... remember who.... our QB was....

2. are you saying shaun hill couldn't have passed all over the seachickens?

shaun hill had a pretty good game against minnesota all things considered. he left the field at 1:30 with a 4 point lead. he did his job.

and now that we're speaking about facts, it is a FACT that shaun hill is 9-4 as a starter. it is a FACT that he has not lost a home game. it is a FACT that he has a 90+ qb rating for his career.

go ahead and list another qb since garcia that can match that. the question wasn't "is hill a top 5 qb?" it is are you happy with his performance. and i'm saying i dont see how anyone can complain about shaun hill given his performance
He's doing what's asked of him. What stands out about him is his 4th quarter play though. I've read that his 4th quarter passing percentage is tops in the league since last year. He's 6-0 at home.

Yeah, I'm cool with what he's doing.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
He's doing what's asked of him. What stands out about him is his 4th quarter play though. I've read that his 4th quarter passing percentage is tops in the league since last year. He's 6-0 at home.

Yeah, I'm cool with what he's doing.

I agree with you that he is doing what's asked of him. Every time coach Raye let's him him open it up when we need to score he comes through and we go back to the run game ------ even when the other team is doing well against the run.

Both Singletary and Raye have him on a leash.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 3, 2009 at 01:45:53 ]
Share 49ersWebzone