There are 182 users in the forums

Poll -We are a better passing team than a running team......just like last year.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll -We are a better passing team than a running team......just like last year.

This is how it was last year..... we couldn't run the ball.. I don't know if it was Gore or the Oline....but our personal is suited the pass better than our ability to run.

We, again this year as much as Singletary and Raye want us to be a running team, it is our passing game that has bailed us out most of the time.

reading these new articles about Raye speaking and about the Jason Hill and Shaun Hill situation kinda irks me a bit...

we finally have receivers on our 49er team...and a QB that can pass the ball and move the chains....but for the first 3qtrs, mainly on 1st and 2nd downs...we run most of the time....and when that gets stuffed we either run again....or try to pass on a defense expects a pass.

I'm not saying that we should have been a spread type offense or what ever but when we signed Raye I thought we would use more creative plays based off our ability to run.....but no...its like this for the 1st 3qters most of the time.

run- damn didn't get too many yards....
run- again.....damn, almost worked....lets just try one more time...I'm sure they think we'll pass (while the defense plays the pass, they still stop the run)

run- damn, got stopped again...ok one more time just to get closer, then for sure we'll pass
run- damn lost 2-4 yards.....now 3rd 13
pass- play designed to get 9-10 yards (Defense is ready stop us)

now we lost the lead.....pass time.

like others have said, no wonder Crabtree doesn't want to be here. (not that I care) but I do care about our other WRs...and this is a very unfortunate situation.

anyway in case some of you missed it here are some quotes Raye has said to the media these past couple of days....no wonder Singletary doesn't want him to speak

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 1, 2009 at 19:21:08 ]
it won't let me post the rest of the stuff I wrote.... don't know why

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 1, 2009 at 19:26:13 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Frank Gore has 200 something yards a little over a week ago.
this team is PERFECT for the West Coast Offense....when Raye was first hired, well I thought that he would use some aspects of it because of the personal we have.

We haven't been a truly great running team for a while now.....it seems like Singletary will force Raye's hand (because of the comments about wanted Shaun to open it up more)

but I don't know if Raye has it in his play book for successful passing plays for the majority of 4qtrs. But we'll see how Raye does.

I was doing fine for the 1st three games (even that lost, I felt we would learn from it and it was a blessing in disguise) but the more Raye speaks the more I'm worried about how this team will fare by mid-season.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 1, 2009 at 19:28:04 ]
Originally posted by jrg:

he had 2 80 yard runs......and it was against Seattle....not taking anything away from those great runs.

how often have you seen our RBs get hit behind the line of scrimmage this season?
Originally posted by jrg:

That was basically on two runs. You can't expect him to break those runs every week, and when he doesn't we don't put up many yards on the ground.

I agree we might be a better passing team than rushing team because of the O-Line, which isn't great at opening lanes for our runners. Shaun Hill looks ugly out there, but he moves the sticks and allows our offense to put up points.

The only bad thing about Mike Singletary is he doesn't seem to want to stray from what he wants to do - run the football. When your passing game gets the job done and your running game struggles, you have to think about changing things up a little. I don't mean we should go to a 60-40 ratio of pass-run like last year, but at least tell Raye's old ass to mix it up on key downs and not be so obvious. Everyone knows when we will run the ball.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
this team is PERFECT for the West Coast Offense....when Raye was first hired, well I thought that he would use some aspects of it because of the personal we have.

We haven't been a truly great running team for a while now.....it seems like Singletary will force Raye's hand (because of the comments about wanted Shaun to open it up more)

but I don't know if Raye has it in his play book for successful passing plays for the majority of 4qtrs. But we'll see how Raye does.

I was doing fine for the 1st three games (even that lost, I felt we would learn from it and it was a blessing in disguise) but the more Raye speaks the more I'm worried about how this team will fare by mid-season.

With Gore's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, the pass-catching abilities at the TE position, and the fact that our WRs seem more like a physical YAC type (with the exception of Bruce), I'd say that we'd do well in the WCO. Not to mention that Shaun Hill is also like a WCO-type QB.

To be honest, a Steve Mariucci type offense would do well with what Singletary's trying to accomplish.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

With Gore's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, the pass-catching abilities at the TE position, and the fact that our WRs seem more like a physical YAC type (with the exception of Bruce), I'd say that we'd do well in the WCO. Not to mention that Shaun Hill is also like a WCO-type QB.

To be honest, a Steve Mariucci type offense would do well with what Singletary's trying to accomplish.

yup, Mooch loved running the ball.

G. Hearst, Charlie Garner, hell Terry Kirby
according to raye, we're a smash mouth, giants type running game offense. Senile old f**ker.
I was pissed when they fired Mooch he was a better coach than people give him credit for.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I was pissed when they fired Mooch he was a better coach than people give him credit for.

imo, Mooch was good at preparing our team for Sundays (I came to this realization after experiencing Erickson & Nolan as Coaches), Mooch found a way to run the ball effectively. (I believe we were top 3 in rushing for like 3-4 years straight)

but what I didn't like about Mooch was game day decisions/play calling, stubbornness to make changes to personal (played favorites).
maybe its just shaun hill being that good..... anybody think of that?
We're probably better at running, but when we have to turn to the pass I'm not worried at all.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
This is how it was last year..... we couldn't run the ball.. I don't know if it was Gore or the Oline....but our personal is suited the pass better than our ability to run.

We, again this year as much as Singletary and Raye want us to be a running team, it is our passing game that has bailed us out most of the time.

reading these new articles about Raye speaking and about the Jason Hill and Shaun Hill situation kinda irks me a bit...

we finally have receivers on our 49er team...and a QB that can pass the ball and move the chains....but for the first 3qtrs, mainly on 1st and 2nd downs...we run most of the time....and when that gets stuffed we either run again....or try to pass on a defense expects a pass.

I'm not saying that we should have been a spread type offense or what ever but when we signed Raye I thought we would use more creative plays based off our ability to run.....but no...its like this for the 1st 3qters most of the time.

run- damn didn't get too many yards....
run- again.....damn, almost worked....lets just try one more time...I'm sure they think we'll pass (while the defense plays the pass, they still stop the run)

run- damn, got stopped again...ok one more time just to get closer, then for sure we'll pass
run- damn lost 2-4 yards.....now 3rd 13
pass- play designed to get 9-10 yards (Defense is ready stop us)

now we lost the lead.....pass time.

like others have said, no wonder Crabtree doesn't want to be here. (not that I care) but I do care about our other WRs...and this is a very unfortunate situation.

anyway in case some of you missed it here are some quotes Raye has said to the media these past couple of days....no wonder Singletary doesn't want him to speak

Quote:
Hill 26 for 38 when ahead
6 for 12 when tied
20 for 32 when behind

he's thrown more passes when ahead than behind.

we've called 92 pass plays against 80 rush plays.

thus he calls more pass plays than run plays. Our pass/run ratio is better than that of the Saints and you see how their offense looks with real players. (102runs to 97 passes)

So please quit with the OC blame. Our passing attack sucks because we have no WR, OLine or QB.

one more stat

Shaun Hill

18/27 on 1st down
11/25 on 2nd down
22/29 on 3rd down
1/1 on 4th down

So his passing attempts our pretty spread out so it's not like it's just run run pass.

Again our personnel is the reason they aren't that great.
Share 49ersWebzone