There are 190 users in the forums

Is there any way Patrick Willis won't be the highest paid defensive player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Well, it's not guaranteed that he'll be the highest paid, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that way. After all, we made Nate Clements the highest paid defensive player at one point.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by crzy:
Patrick Willis is worth $300 million guaranteed and is the best defensive player in the league. f**k Demarcus Ware.

Sacks are overglorified and overrated.

Exactly.

I'd rather take a guy who makes over 150 plays over the course of a season than a guy who makes only 15.

-9fA

And then ........ there are those punishing hits that he lays out.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
when patricks contract extension comes up, is there anyway he doesn't absolutely break the bank and become the highest paid defensive player of all time?

fear not. Patrick Willis is an ILB. he may rack up the tackles and lead a defense like an all-pro, but he doesnt sack the quarterback, and he isnt a ballhawk.

those stats are where the money goes. locking willis up will take a good amount, but he wont cost near as much as an elite pass rusher or shutdown cb.
you dont trade a p willis type player....period...

unless your getting a dion sanders-ronnie lott-lar4ence taylor type player in return.

you just dont do it. they personify your entire defense. when the s**t hits the fan...that is your guy thats the guy that is going to set the pace...that is the guy who never quits.

you dont trade a patrict willis for a shaun merriman,j peppers,freeney pat swilling ect...

the window of elite production from most pass rushers is so small why in the world would you roll the dice and trade a franchise player.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

Wasn't Ray Lewis the highest paid D player at one time? Am I trippin'?

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.

im pretty sure cowboys will take that trade and immediatly say no tradebacks that is a stupid trade
Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.

That was a foolish statement imo, and I don't have the time, nor do I want to make the effort, to explain why.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

Now you're trippin, but I expect no less, so I'll just at all of this.

You seriously wouldn't want Ware or a 100% healthy Merriman over and above Willis?

lol no

100% healthy I would take either of them above Willis. But it doesn't surprise me that on a 49ers web page people ride the jock of Willis. I guess it's understandable.

He is good and I'm glad to have him but in no way is he in that league.

Merriman and Ware dont have the leadership that Willis has and that has a trickle down effect on the entire defense. Because Ware put up 20+ sacks one time in his career doesnt mean he will do it again. Pass Rushers are easier to come by then A ILB like Willis.

When You think of ILB only a few names stick out but pass rushers are everywhere (except in SF) Ill take Willis over Ware, Merriman, Dumerville or any of them no matter what team I'm a fan of. His versitality and his leadership qualities put him above the rest
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
Highest paid "Defensive Player" for a middle linebacker is a tall order. I think he will be the highest paid at his position but there are so many varieties of linebackers that its hard to judge, some would say that outside linebackers are at a higher premium than middle linebackers. Ware in dallas could have asked for hansworth money when he had 20 sacks in a season, James Harrison for the steelers got his contract negotiated based off the fact that he was the defensive MVP of the year and domiated in the super bowl.

Willis is getting better and better every game, Has he reached Ray Lewis status? not completely but he is getting close. Ray lewis for about 6-8 years would make Running Backs so scared by the end of the first quarter that teams would abandon the run before halftime. If Ray got you in space it was 50/50 weather or not you got the wind knocked out of you or just got knocked out completely. Very rarely do O-Coordinators scheme for a middle line backers...except ray lewis and patrick willis.

I think we will extend his contract after this season and he will probably get a 7 year extension for 80-90 million with 40-50 garunteed. He seems like a guy who really like the 49ers and has loyalty, so he may even sign for less. I dont see him crossing 100mil though... of coarse unless his agent is ugene parker. Then he will hold out until we will trade him.

I agree & think Willis will get paid for sure. I'm just not sure if he will be highest defensive player in the league.
Knowing who Patrick as a person is would leave me to believe he would take less to stay with us or less to help out the team. He loves the game, not the money.
IMO Willis will become the highest paid LB in the league when the time comes, however not the highest defensive player that is reserved for CB or DL such as a Haynesworth who has the ability to blow up a run by himself, or hurry/sack the QB

Originally posted by crzy:
Patrick Willis is worth $300 million guaranteed and is the best defensive player in the league. f**k Demarcus Ware.

Sacks are overglorified and overrated.

ZOMG GUYS

ANTWAN ODOM GOT 5 COUNT EM 5 SACKS IN ONE GAME!
WE SHOULD TRADE FOR HIM RIGHT NOW!

Originally posted by artiga1:
It should be like a 9 year $110 million dollar contract

It'll be higher than that I bet
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Knowing who Patrick as a person is would leave me to believe he would take less to stay with us or less to help out the team. He loves the game, not the money.

You know Patrick Willis?

I highly doubt this, he will be paid, whether its from us or his beloved cowboys he will be paid a lot. If we let him get to free agency that would be the biggest mistake ever, cuz the cowboys will lure him there i just feel it
Originally posted by valrod33:

I highly doubt this, he will be paid, whether its from us or his beloved cowboys he will be paid a lot. If we let him get to free agency that would be the biggest mistake ever, cuz the cowboys will lure him there i just feel it

we would have to be pretty stupid to ever let that happen
Share 49ersWebzone