LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Is there any way Patrick Willis won't be the highest paid defensive player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
Highest paid "Defensive Player" for a middle linebacker is a tall order. I think he will be the highest paid at his position but there are so many varieties of linebackers that its hard to judge, some would say that outside linebackers are at a higher premium than middle linebackers. Ware in dallas could have asked for hansworth money when he had 20 sacks in a season, James Harrison for the steelers got his contract negotiated based off the fact that he was the defensive MVP of the year and domiated in the super bowl.

Willis is getting better and better every game, Has he reached Ray Lewis status? not completely but he is getting close. Ray lewis for about 6-8 years would make Running Backs so scared by the end of the first quarter that teams would abandon the run before halftime. If Ray got you in space it was 50/50 weather or not you got the wind knocked out of you or just got knocked out completely. Very rarely do O-Coordinators scheme for a middle line backers...except ray lewis and patrick willis.

I think we will extend his contract after this season and he will probably get a 7 year extension for 80-90 million with 40-50 garunteed. He seems like a guy who really like the 49ers and has loyalty, so he may even sign for less. I dont see him crossing 100mil though... of coarse unless his agent is ugene parker. Then he will hold out until we will trade him.

This.

I see him as about top 3 paid at the ILB / MLB positions. I in know way see him getting Heynsworth money or as much as Ware probably deserves or Merriman if completely healthy. He isn't as much of a difference maker as them.

That's not insulting the guy. He's great. But he may or may not even be the best ILB in the league right now and certainly that position is a big impact on the game but not the biggest.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

Wasn't Ray Lewis the highest paid D player at one time? Am I trippin'?

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.

Now you're trippin, but I expect no less, so I'll just at all of this.

You seriously wouldn't want Ware or a 100% healthy Merriman over and above Willis?

Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.

You seriously wouldn't want Ware or a 100% healthy Merriman over and above Willis?

lol no
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

lol no

100% healthy I would take either of them above Willis. But it doesn't surprise me that on a 49ers web page people ride the jock of Willis. I guess it's understandable.

He is good and I'm glad to have him but in no way is he in that league.

Nope. Willis tackles everything. You are diminishing his importance to our team. He makes the 10 other guys on the field jobs easier. I can except that he might not warrant the highest D contract, but there is no other player in the league in would want instead of him.

What has either of the players you mentioned ever done for their teams, in terms of putting them over the edge and winning a championship? Both of their teams are miserable in the playoffs (for the most part).

And it's downright laughable that you don't think he's in their league. Respected longtime NFL experts have put Willis at their level of play, but you don't? I'm definitely done with all of this.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM ]

Nope. Willis tackles everything. You are diminishing his importance to our team. He makes the 10 other guys on the field jobs easier. I can except that he might not warrant the highest D contract, but there is no other player in the league in would want instead of him.

What has either of the players you mentioned ever done for their teams, in terms of putting them over the edge and winning a championship? Both of their teams are miserable in the playoffs (for the most part).

Fine.

1) You want him instead of any other player. This is your opinion and you can have it.

2) At least you expect that he might not warrant the highest D contract. Which is 100% correct BTW. I agree with you there.

Your missing the value of a leader and the impact it can make. Are 20 sacks better then 200 tackels? heck yes! but this is all meaningless when your talking about a field general. Ray Lewis holds the other 10 defenders to such a high standerd, that there defense is better because of him, just him being on the field makes them better. When you find a true field general on defense you dont get rid of him for anything.

As displayed this year one man can easily be taken out of a game with a good game plan, i.e. Demarcus Ware has zero sacks through first three games, Ware is not a field general and has small influence in the locker room or so it would seem (you never see hime get fired up in games at all). However this is not so much the case for Shaun Merriman, he is more of a leader.

But when you have one of those rare guys on the field that can motivate, inspire and influence the other 10 guys on defense to kick ass and take names, that is more important than 20 sacks a season. When you have a guy who can do this it doesn't matter if one or two guys get schemed out, the rest of the men on defense are going to make it happen.

Willis is the best player we have and the face of our franchis. I wouldn't trade him... ever.

And it's downright laughable that you don't think he's in their league. Respected longtime NFL experts have put Willis at their level of play, but you don't? I'm definitely done with all of this.

Pass rushers are the true difference makers. For an ILB he is very good. Probably top 5 or even top 3 in the league. Right now Ray Lewis is still just as good or better. There are some other guys in that same range. I would probably put Willis in the top 2 - 3 ILB's in the league which makes him very special and a difference maker for his position. He may possibly be #1 at the ILB position. Which is great for him and our team BTW.
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:

Your missing the value of a leader and the impact it can make. Are 20 sacks better then 200 tackels? heck yes! but this is all meaningless when your talking about a field general. Ray Lewis holds the other 10 defenders to such a high standerd, that there defense is better because of him, just him being on the field makes them better. When you find a true field general on defense you dont get rid of him for anything.

As displayed this year one man can easily be taken out of a game with a good game plan, i.e. Demarcus Ware has zero sacks through first three games, Ware is not a field general and has small influence in the locker room or so it would seem (you never see hime get fired up in games at all). However this is not so much the case for Shaun Merriman, he is more of a leader.

But when you have one of those rare guys on the field that can motivate, inspire and influence the other 10 guys on defense to kick ass and take names, that is more important than 20 sacks a season. When you have a guy who can do this it doesn't matter if one or two guys get schemed out, the rest of the men on defense are going to make it happen.

Willis is the best player we have and the face of our franchis. I wouldn't trade him... ever.

I 100% agree with that.
Just give him time, soon he will be the best LB in everyone's eyes

Originally posted by FourNine49:

He might be the best ILB or one of the best ILB's in the league right now. I will give him that. But the biggest impact defensive player in the league. No way.
It doesn't matter to me bc if he does get the big paycheck and that prevents us from signing someone we need, he seems like the guy that would take a pay cut if it benefited the team.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Patrick Willis is worth $300 million guaranteed and is the best defensive player in the league. f**k Demarcus Ware.

Sacks are overglorified and overrated.
[ Edited by crzy on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM ]
Originally posted by FourNine49:

He might be the best ILB or one of the best ILB's in the league right now. I will give him that. But the biggest impact defensive player in the league. No way.

I wonder when we'll start unleashing him....as far as blitzes up the middle or some cross blitzes like the Steelers use.

or have him rushing from the outside on passing situations...... he is too athletically gifted us not to use him to rush the passer, more than once in a while....

maybe when McKillop develops into a solid reliable MLB.
Originally posted by crzy:
Patrick Willis is worth $300 million guaranteed and is the best defensive player in the league. f**k Demarcus Ware.

Sacks are overglorified and overrated.

Exactly.

I'd rather take a guy who makes over 150 plays over the course of a season than a guy who makes only 15.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone