There are 230 users in the forums

Is there any way Patrick Willis won't be the highest paid defensive player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
when patricks contract extension comes up, is there anyway he doesn't absolutely break the bank and become the highest paid defensive player of all time?
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
If we don't pay him, somebody else will. P-Dub deserves to get paid, he's the face of our franchise and the best defensive player in the league.
no way they let him go. they let peterson go, he was good but not as good as he thought he was. Patrick Willis on the other hand is looking to be the greatest MLB who ever lived so they will keep him at all costs.
Maybe if the 49ers sign Jesus he wont

well it depends... as far as a MLB what is the current rate.... compared to other salaries for other postions on defense...

I think it is much hard to find a DT that can make an impact as much as Haynsworth compared to a MLB like Patrick...

because as great as Patrick is....he still needs good DTs to keep Lineman off him...

where as a great DT can have a good MLB look great....

so I think it goes all by position.....but he should certainly be the highest paid LB in the game.

edit- but seriously, if we had to overpay any player it would have to be Patrick Willis... he could be the greatest at his position in history....and on top of that great character.... we are SOOOOOOOO lucky to have him
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
well it depends... as far as a MLB what is the current rate.... compared to other salaries for other postions on defense...

I think it is much hard to find a DT that can make an impact as much as Haynsworth compared to a MLB like Patrick...

because as great as Patrick is....he still needs good DTs to keep Lineman off him...

where as a great DT can have a good MLB look great....

so I think it goes all by position.....but he should certainly be the highest paid LB in the game.

edit- but seriously, if we had to overpay any player it would have to be Patrick Willis... he could be the greatest at his position in history....and on top of that great character.... we are SOOOOOOOO lucky to have him

i think the LB would make more than the DT based on stats tho, this is a league where numbers get people paid. it could go either way but he will get his money thats for sure
Willis will make more than Haynesworth...
It should be like a 9 year $110 million dollar contract
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Maybe if the 49ers sign Jesus he wont

[modded]
[ Edited by Esco on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:27 AM ]
Good question. I can't seem to think or a reason why he shouldn't be the highest paid defensive player.

Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

Wasn't Ray Lewis the highest paid D player at one time? Am I trippin'?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.
Highest paid "Defensive Player" for a middle linebacker is a tall order. I think he will be the highest paid at his position but there are so many varieties of linebackers that its hard to judge, some would say that outside linebackers are at a higher premium than middle linebackers. Ware in dallas could have asked for hansworth money when he had 20 sacks in a season, James Harrison for the steelers got his contract negotiated based off the fact that he was the defensive MVP of the year and domiated in the super bowl.

Willis is getting better and better every game, Has he reached Ray Lewis status? not completely but he is getting close. Ray lewis for about 6-8 years would make Running Backs so scared by the end of the first quarter that teams would abandon the run before halftime. If Ray got you in space it was 50/50 weather or not you got the wind knocked out of you or just got knocked out completely. Very rarely do O-Coordinators scheme for a middle line backers...except ray lewis and patrick willis.

I think we will extend his contract after this season and he will probably get a 7 year extension for 80-90 million with 40-50 garunteed. He seems like a guy who really like the 49ers and has loyalty, so he may even sign for less. I dont see him crossing 100mil though... of coarse unless his agent is ugene parker. Then he will hold out until we will trade him.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.

Now you're trippin, but I expect no less, so I'll just at all of this.
Share 49ersWebzone