There are 296 users in the forums

Vikings Loss, a huge win!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why is everyone acting like the Vikings are an NFC contender? They got bounced in 1st round last year and their QB has about 2 months of reps in that offense. They're a border line playoff team not a Super Bowl contender.

I think most people thought this would be a back and forth game that came down to the final drive, and I think only real surprise was that Favre still had a magic rabbit in him.

I'll give it to you that it was a solid loss, and we have nothing to be ashamed of, but in the end it was a loss and it's time to move on.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
we're about to beat a crap rams team with a quarter of the team missing....which of course makes them crap times two

that being said 3 divisional wins is niiiiiice

Again, your missing the point. The Vikes are suppose to be one of the best in the NFC and we almost beat them without the most important player on our offense.

The fact that we are about to stomp out a crap team is irrelavent, unless of course e lose.

No, you are missing the point. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. ALMOST beating a good team (no matter the circumstances) doesn't mean jack compared to beating ANY team (regardless of the circumstances).

And in all 3 games, we had a chance to ice the game TWICE, once with 5 minutes left and once with a minute or two left, and all six times we went 3 and out and gave the other team a chacne to win.

We are the type of team that seems to play about the same game against every opponent. Close, hard hitting, low scoring game. That's fine, but if you are going to be within a score or so of your opponents at the end of the game every week, you need to be able to ice the game when you have the chance.

We lost to a good team becaue we were not good enough to do that. All the "positives" that come out of the game don't mean jack compared to a win.

At the end of the season, if we miss the playoffs by one game, no one will let us in because we had a "moral victory" against the Vikes and the team in front of us won an extra game against an awful team.

Win=Good

Loss=Bad

It's as simple as that.

Its not that simple. In reality:
More wins than Arizona=Good
Less wins than Arizona=Bad

On Sunday we showed that we could hang with the NFC elite. This is encouraging for our us because it shows that we are now becoming a pretty good team. Good enough to win the NFC west perhaps and get a rematch in the playoffs.
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
we're about to beat a crap rams team with a quarter of the team missing....which of course makes them crap times two

that being said 3 divisional wins is niiiiiice

Again, your missing the point. The Vikes are suppose to be one of the best in the NFC and we almost beat them without the most important player on our offense.

The fact that we are about to stomp out a crap team is irrelavent, unless of course e lose.

No, you are missing the point. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. ALMOST beating a good team (no matter the circumstances) doesn't mean jack compared to beating ANY team (regardless of the circumstances).

And in all 3 games, we had a chance to ice the game TWICE, once with 5 minutes left and once with a minute or two left, and all six times we went 3 and out and gave the other team a chacne to win.

We are the type of team that seems to play about the same game against every opponent. Close, hard hitting, low scoring game. That's fine, but if you are going to be within a score or so of your opponents at the end of the game every week, you need to be able to ice the game when you have the chance.

We lost to a good team becaue we were not good enough to do that. All the "positives" that come out of the game don't mean jack compared to a win.

At the end of the season, if we miss the playoffs by one game, no one will let us in because we had a "moral victory" against the Vikes and the team in front of us won an extra game against an awful team.

Win=Good

Loss=Bad

It's as simple as that.

Its not that simple. In reality:
More wins than Arizona=Good
Less wins than Arizona=Bad

On Sunday we showed that we could hang with the NFC elite. This is encouraging for our us because it shows that we are now becoming a pretty good team. Good enough to win the NFC west perhaps and get a rematch in the playoffs.

When did Minnesota join the NFC elite? I never knew that a 1st round exit was that impressive. Spare me the they signed Favre and all they needed was a QB. Minnesota is a border line playoff team.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Why is everyone acting like the Vikings are an NFC contender? They got bounced in 1st round last year and their QB has about 2 months of reps in that offense. They're a border line playoff team not a Super Bowl contender.

I think most people thought this would be a back and forth game that came down to the final drive, and I think only real surprise was that Favre still had a magic rabbit in him.

I'll give it to you that it was a solid loss, and we have nothing to be ashamed of, but in the end it was a loss and it's time to move on.

best RB in the league, good defense and now a QB who can do what he did last week

why would they not be considered a contender
Originally posted by RonMexico:

best RB in the league, good defense and now a QB who can do what he did last week

why would they not be considered a contender

Because they're not. You're seriously overrating Favre if you think he catapults them into the NFC elite. Favre's gunslinger mentality is what it is. He can do that, but than the next week that will be an interception that costed his team the game.

Minnesota is a good football team, but don't carried away here they're no more a Super Bowl contender than we are.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by djb49:
This is Brett Favre's media.. Until he is literally out of the NFL, the coverage will always be about him.. Fact is, Greg Lewis made the catch what it is.. Favre threw up a prayer ad Lewis answered it.. The media however is all on Favre's jock and makes it seem as if he knew exactly what he was doing..

I feel we got shafted by the media as well, but as someone pointed out a few weeks ago, let us stay out of the limelight.. We do better as underdogs.. And I still hate Favre.. He needs to give major props to his receiver..

You could say the same about "the catch" with Montana/Clark.
You're just not paying attention.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=130536
3-0 would be a huge.

Losing that game was not a huge win.

Because the Favre led Vikings have been anointed by the media as the Super Bowl victors even before the first snap of the ball this season and people tend to believe what they read. The Vikings are definitely a good team with an outstanding defensive line and an all-World RB, but they haven’t had a good QB since, well, Fran Tarkenton. Now the media is in the middle of their annual bromance with Favre and its altogether much stronger because he compliments an otherwise strong team. Personally, I think he's going to be sucking wind sooner or later (I hope sooner) and then everything will go downhill fast just like it did with the Jets last season.
The difference between 3-0 and 2-1 isn't that great. It's what we do in the next 7-8 weeks that will matter. Our guys left it all out on the field, and got beat by a truly remarkable play. It was a perfectly thrown and placed ball, and Lewis somehow held onto it. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. The season continues, and hopefully when another game comes down to the final drive, Roman will be in a better spot (or off the field so Reggie or Terrel will be in there), we'll have an extra defender downfield, Bly makes that interception, Manny gets there a split second sooner.... etc. Learn from it, and apply what you learned to the next game. I ain't worried.

Vikings still have not beaten anyone. People are looking for an excuse to crown them and now are saying we are a good team ONLY because we almost beat the Vikings.

Well, we have only beaten a crap team and an inconsistent team. Vikings haven't proven any more than we have proven but the media wants to crown them so much that their excuse for the Vikings miraculously beating us is that we are a good team now.

If we played the Rams last week instead of the Vikings and were 3-0, we would still not get the crown from the media.

The Vikings have been losing going into every half of all three games this year. Favre has been inconsistent and the moment "AD" goes up against an above average run defense, he doesn't come through.

This is media bias and we are the innocent bistandard in the positive side of this love for the Vikings.

We need to stop getting a big head about this almost win because the Vikings haven't proven jack yet this year against a proven team.
Share 49ersWebzone