There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Curious if you guys saw this stat.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
haha... I wonder what all those Hill complainers will say now.....some of them were trying to use that 0-11 3rd down stat this past Monday, against him....even though we ran it on 3rd down a couple of times...and there were also catchable balls dropped (like the one to Coffee)

A dump off on 3rd down would pad the stat.

that dump off would have gave us a crucial 1st down.... I believe it was 3rd and 5... Coffee would have got the first, but he dropped it and we had to punt.

where as Farvra did the same "dump off" over the middle and their RB caught it and got a first down and ran for a big gain. (the play when he juked Willis)

so you can look at it as padding stats if you want.....but if you are a 49er fan then you would know how important that "padded" stat would have been .
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM ]
  • Squirrel
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by krizay:
haha... I wonder what all those Hill complainers will say now.....some of them were trying to use that 0-11 3rd down stat this past Monday, against him....even though we ran it on 3rd down a couple of times...and there were also catchable balls dropped (like the one to Coffee)

lets see his passing attempts on 3rd downs are comparible to that of Brees Eli and Rodgers. but it Rayes fault all we do is run run run punt.

Giants 44 3rd downs made 22
9ers 44 3rd downs made 12
packers 36 made 12
saints 41 made 20

edit:

Hill 11/29 converting those 3rd downs 37.9%
Eli 17/31 converting 54.8%
Rodgers 10/28 converting 35.7%
Brees 14/30 converting 46.7%

These are the numbers Hill complainers will show

I just don't see how anyone would be happy with those kinds of numbers. 37.9% is even worse than Alex Smith. And 12 of 44 third down conversions? That's abysmal.
If I remember correctly, our third down conversion before last week was actually pretty damn good? Got to agree though, the pass completion percentage don't make much of a difference, but more important is the third down conversion rate.

Although, just to play devil's advocate, Hill completing the third down pass is doing his part, does it fall on our recievers for not picking up the extra 1-5 yards after the catch to complete the first down? I mean, make some defenders miss for heavens sake...
Originally posted by SJniner7:
If I remember correctly, our third down conversion before last week was actually pretty damn good? Got to agree though, the pass completion percentage don't make much of a difference, but more important is the third down conversion rate.

Although, just to play devil's advocate, Hill completing the third down pass is doing his part, does it fall on our recievers for not picking up the extra 1-5 yards after the catch to complete the first down? I mean, make some defenders miss for heavens sake...

First game = 7 of 18

Second game = 5 of 15

Third game = 0 of 11

We were fortunate in some moments to convert the lil dump passes with RAC yards... not often enough. This is why stats can be so misleading. We need to start throwing 3rd down passes beyond the 1st down markers.

• ldussan
  • Info N/A
are the original 3rd down passing numbers 3rd down conversions or 3rd down completions? If not what is the 3rd down completion percentage?

That Hill doesn't have a clue about were the first down mark is by example
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ldussan:
are the original 3rd down passing numbers 3rd down conversions or 3rd down completions? If not what is the 3rd down completion percentage?

read the thread for your answer
Originally posted by queretano:

That Hill doesn't have a clue about were the first down mark is by example

Hill or his recievers? Aren't they running routes short of a first down? I have seen Morgan, and Davis run routes 1-2 yards short of a first down.
Raye passes on 3rd and short

But runs on 3rd and long
Originally posted by GEEK:

A dump off on 3rd down would pad the stat.

Padding stats? Getting a 1st down on a check down play is good football, not stat padding.
The dumpoff would be nice on 1st down so we should be facing 2nd and 5 or less. Although that play might probably be subtracted if we run it up the middle for -1 yard.