LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

Biggest Shock? Defensive Line Play

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
I think it has alot to do with Coach Sing... He's just got the guys wanting to play and give it their all when they're playing for Coach Sing...

I mean you look at Nolan who only coach for himself, wanting power and only blames the players for not getting it done. I know internally, the players questions his leadership. You got Nolan who fights to wear a dam suit coaching? come on gimme a break!!! This is football not Americas Next Top Model!

anyhow the players you see on the field is definitely playing with a passion and with that said it's a coach who's coaching these guys with a passion!

Then Roman must not be listening to Singletary. Our corners can feel more comfortable playing a little more aggressive as they have a FS who can close the gap much faster.

An NFL coach, I forgot who was quoted saying that our Safeties were really slow and they picked on the middle a lot. Not anymore.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think it has alot to do with Coach Sing... He's just got the guys wanting to play and give it their all when they're playing for Coach Sing...

I mean you look at Nolan who only coach for himself, wanting power and only blames the players for not getting it done. I know internally, the players questions his leadership. You got Nolan who fights to wear a dam suit coaching? come on gimme a break!!! This is football not Americas Next Top Model!

anyhow the players you see on the field is definitely playing with a passion and with that said it's a coach who's coaching these guys with a passion!

Then Roman must not be listening to Singletary. Our corners can feel more comfortable playing a little more aggressive as they have a FS who can close the gap much faster.

An NFL coach, I forgot who was quoted saying that our Safeties were really slow and they picked on the middle a lot. Not anymore.

What can you say... it's Mark Roman
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
What we need is to spend that Carolina pick on Eric Berry to take over our SS position...

Eric Berry is a FS bro. Move Goldston to SS he can't cover squat but sure can hit!
That's it. If it wasn't for Roman the opposing teams wouldn't have scored at all.
Why is he on the field every time they score or have a big play.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Man Joe, I hate Roman's play as much as the next Niner faithful but you are killing him every chance you get. It hurts, I know.
Now, now, boys and girls. Let's get back on track.

I know some of you have a dislike for Mark Roman. Fine. I can understand that.

But this is about the play of the FRONT SEVEN. And, actually, if you want to narrow that down a tad? The FRONT THREE.

Last I checked, Mark Roman didn't play those positions.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
How about Franklin? He is playing as good as anyone on the line right now. I bet there are a lot of guys that were critical of his play last year that have changed their tune this year.

Franklin is a big part of it.

Soap has always been good against the run, its just that now the defense is more simplified, and his skills are more apparent.

Balmer is playing solid and making some plays.

McDonald is a beast. Wow, I thought he was done, because of the knee, but he is playing better than ever. He is another big asset for our pass rush.

Oh ya, and one other thing...

Justin Smith is not a "pretty good" player.

Justin Smith is playing as well as any other D-lineman in the NFL right now.

He bullrushes his man into the pocket most of the time, he stuffs the run, and gets tons of pressure.

He is the MVP of our defense

Sing it brotha.....
Agreed. Along with the play from Spencer.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for DaveWilcox.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I would say that I've been most surprised this year by the play of our defensive line. Now, I already knew that we had a pretty good player in Justin Smith. His impressive play so far this season has not been a surprise.

But Ray McDonald? Aubrayo Franklin? Isaac Sopoaga? Kentwan Balmer?

I mean -- people -- I'm not all that far removed from seeing posts where poor Isaac's name was tortured into such meanings as "Suckoaga." Remember that? Now the dude is just a BEAST on the line. Did you see him completely destroying double-team efforts against Minny? And Franklin? How much room did the supposed "best running back in the NFL" get up the middle last weekend? How about none?

Time and time again I saw AP traverse the line -- looking for an opening -- only to be met by the likes of Bam Bam, laying down the Lawson, etc. He got loose ONCE. Just ONCE people. That's pretty darn impressive.

I haven't seen a 49er defensive line play this well since the glory days of Bill Walsh. Not George Seifert mind you -- but the venerable one -- Walsh. That was a long time ago kids. Think Michael Carter.

So -- what's the deal here? Are the kids finally beginning to come into their own? Is it the presence of Tomsula as the DL Coach? Motivation by Singletary? A combination of all three?

I know our pass rush isn't all that great -- YET -- but so far I'd have to rate the D-Line play as ABSOLUTELY STELLAR.

Question is? How did this happen?

Good observations. However, I would stop short of comparing anyone in this group to Michael Carter, he was an absolute beast. The best 3/4 NT we have ever had, by far.. The difference with this group is that they do not have a Haley, playing the Elephant. I am hoping that someone can emerge as a constant pass rush threat, then we will be on to something big.

Overall I agree, this is a very stout run defense!! Take out that one 30+ yard run where Harralson (I think) gave up the corner, and AP's stats are about 2 yds per carry.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
What we need is to spend that Carolina pick on Eric Berry to take over our SS position...

Eric Berry is a FS bro. Move Goldston to SS he can't cover squat but sure can hit!

Michael Lewis doesn't cover all that well either but he sure can support the run!! Have to admit, I do like what I have seen and read about Berry. I think Lewis may be in his final year and drafting Berry and moving Goldston would be a good idea..

I forgot add in my other post. Franklin has been the biggest and most pleasant surprise. He has become something of a force in the middle playing the 1 technique.

Imo the catalyst has been Shawnte Spencer. I thought losing Walt was a big deal and envisioned the same ol team that couldn't get off the field on rd down to save their life. We currently rank in top 1/2 of the league in that category. Clements has played well and it's been talked about during and after games. You never hear Spencer's name. I would be real interested to know how many times his guy has been thrown to. It's hard to see him in games honestly cause he's not often in the area of the action....
Originally posted by WINiner:
Imo the catalyst has been Shawnte Spencer. I thought losing Walt was a big deal and envisioned the same ol team that couldn't get off the field on rd down to save their life. We currently rank in top 1/2 of the league in that category. Clements has played well and it's been talked about during and after games. You never hear Spencer's name. I would be real interested to know how many times his guy has been thrown to. It's hard to see him in games honestly cause he's not often in the area of the action....

Franklin looked good last year after we stopped asking him to two-gap, but he really seems to have stepped it up this year. Same with Soap- good for portions of last year but looks better this year.

Personally, I think Smith was this good of a player last year, too. Its just that the entire defense has stepped it up, which has allowed him to shine a bit more this year than last.

I think Ray McDonald has also much more power this year than we've seen in the past. He's always been quick off the snap, but he got his sack this year by bull rushing an OG into the backfield. Maybe the injury hurt him last year, maybe the nutcracker helped him this year - I don't know. But its definitely good to see.
How about Franklin? He is playing as good as anyone on the line right now. I bet there are a lot of guys that were critical of his play last year that have changed their tune this year.

I would be the first to admit I am blown away with Franklin's play esp. last game. I'm not surprised at all about Sopoaga though. I always thought he'd make a stellar LDE with his size and athleticism in the 3-4 but Franklin is the big surprise to me thus far. McDonald is a pleasant surprise but only b/c I wasn't expecting him to play and play at a high level (leads team in sacks and has some QB pressures already) in limited snaps. I think Balmer is starting to develop some and we're doing a nice job of rotating and keeping players fresh.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I would be the first to admit I am blown away with Franklin's play esp. last game. I'm not surprised at all about Sopoaga though. I always thought he'd make a stellar LDE with his size and athleticism in the 3-4 but Franklin is the big surprise to me thus far. McDonald is a pleasant surprise but only b/c I wasn't expecting him to play and play at a high level (leads team in sacks and has some QB pressures already) in limited snaps. I think Balmer is starting to develop some and we're doing a nice job of rotating and keeping players fresh.

He's a surprise to many of you because about 95% were under the impression that your NT in the 3-4 absolutely HAD to be at least a 340 pounder. They didnt take into account the scheme and responsibilities.

But I agree Franklin has been very, very good so far.
Share 49ersWebzone